Coldacre

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
its nice dream by radiohead fwiw

I found one with finger positions, see how we go!

in the case of Nice Dream, Thom actually tunes the B string down to A.... then let’s the B (now A) and E strings ring open. so technically it’s not a barre chord as you don’t have to have your first finger across the the entire 6 strings.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
just an update, I feel like its starting to come together for me finally, I had a little epiphany last week

I was constantly struggling to transition to a c chord from anywhere but the a minor.. , it was throwing a spanner in my works, all good songs have a c chord!

anyhow as I cant just hit the chords like a pro just yet, I need to put down a target finger first on most 3 finger chords, I was always starting the c by putting the index finger on first, I didn't know it but it was creating all manner of chaos for me.. trying to stretch my hand ect

I tried a different way in frustration, i tried to target my ring finger first and bingo! it felt so much more natural, ring finger on, the middle flows then I look up and the index is pretty much already on the string it needs to be on, its like the hand wants to make it happen.

since then the c comes easy for me now, im happy.

ive developed a small staple of songs

redemption song-bob marley
riptide-vance joy
wonderwall-oasis
hurt-johnny cash
working class hero-john lennon

that should do me for round the camp fire I think.

im going away next week for 3 weeks, I assume ill lose my calluses and have to start again from square one :/

The guy I bought the looper pedal from last week hadn't erased the stuff he'd recorded. There were 6 different slots with the verse riff to wonderwall recorded on them and nothing else. :think:

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
I'm the anti-Maddogm, I only have the one guitar (well, and an identical backup from my gigging days because it's cheap but obscure).

I was walking past my local the other day though and they had the new Squier jazz bari in the window. I must admit I was tempted for the briefest of moments.

Edit: maybe I do the dog a disservice. The anti-Beerfish.

I'm the anti-Maddogm, I only have the one guitar (well, and an identical backup from my gigging days because it's cheap but obscure).

I was walking past my local the other day though and they had the new Squier jazz bari in the window. I must admit I was tempted for the briefest of moments.

View attachment 717471

Edit: maybe I do the dog a disservice. The anti-Beerfish.
but toys :p

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
This is me, though mine are some other interchangeable brand: https://reverb.com/uk/item/6417839-...elody-maker-copy-japanese-gibson-lawsuit-copy

I went through a few years of churning through gear but over time that distilled into a small selection that really did it for me. That pair, an equally-mysterious jazz bass, a shoebox of mostly-vintage pedals and the old Sound City head as the sole survivor of the black monolith. If it ever got turned on there'd be four greenbacks to match, but headphones are just so much more feasible these days.

Last edited:
Was going to post in the music thread but maybe it'd be better in here.

I've been binging Jonesy's Jukebox on Youtoob lately (for those not aware, Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols has a daily radio show in LA which is filmed as well) and he was discussing string gauges with another guitarist (might have been Josh Homme - can't recall 100%). He was relating a story he'd heard that Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top uses 7 to 38!! In a later episode Billy Gibbons was on and he had a chance to ask him about this personally (what a life!) and he confirmed he indeed plays 7's and told the story about how when he was a lad he used to use heavy strings because he thought that was the best way to get a nice chunky sound. He was playing a gig with BB King and backstage BB asked him if he could have a go on Billy's guitar. Bill of course handed it over and BB apparently tried to play it and immediately asked him why he was working so damn hard referencing the heavy strings. He reckons ever since then he's used the 7's.

Now, this seems interesting to me because I've heard that if you have strings that are too light you risk neck troubles because there's not enough tension on it. Even if it's true, it probably wouldn't be a problem for a pro who has a squillion guitars and people to keep them sounding sweet but for little old me I don't want to be having to adjust the neck every other week.

Thoughts?

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
I wouldn't think you'd have tension issues, but the viability depends more on the guitar's action and what you're trying to play. It doesn't rule out heavier stuff, Tony Iommi tunes regular strings down to C, 9s or 10s I'd guess, but that sloppiness isn't going to work for technical death metal. Running your strings too tight is more likely to cause neck issues I think. You've got a truss rod in there though, easy fix.

Last edited:
I wouldn't think you'd have tension issues, but the viability depends more on the guitar's action and what you're trying to play. It doesn't rule out heavier stuff, Tony Iommi tunes regular strings down to C, 9s or 10s I'd guess, but that sloppiness isn't going to work for technical death metal. Running your strings too tight is more likely to cause neck issues I think. You've got a truss rod in there though, easy fix.
Yeah I won't be playing any death metal so that won't be an issue!

I don't really want to be fiddling with the truss rod every other week as the ambient temperature changes is more my concern which seems to me like it could be more of an issue with less tension on the neck than more.

Anyway I might try it on a guitar just see how it goes. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with very light gauge strings they could share. I played a guitar once that had 5's on it and it felt bizarre. Was a long time ago though.

Back