Winter Beijing 2022 4th Feb to 22nd preview and general discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Awesome achievement by the Finns! and beating their biggest rival in winning Gold doesn't get any better!
The Ice Hockey gold medal like the downhill probably are the blue riband events of the winter games.

It means 25 Finnish players go home with a gold medal and 26 individual Finns have a gold medal not just the 2 shown in the medal tally.

If you do an adjusted medal tally for individual golds, Germany go from 11 to 14.

Norway I have to spend some time to do that calculation.

Belinda Noonan is the winter version of Liz Chetkovich, rolled out every four years, similar headmistress critical tone.

And seemingly immortal.
Exactly what I was thinking the other day when someone first mentioned her.

Great stuff by the Finnish captain say, bugger it if we can't have presenters, I am going to put the medal around all my players neck.

I don't recall that happening at Tokyo for any of the 7 (x 2) team sports gold medal presentations.

RussellEbertHandball interested in your opinion on this. When, in your mind, did the Olympics peak?

For me, Barcelona and Albertville/Lillehammer was the golden period. Cold War was over, boycotts done, Eastern Bloc cloud had passed. Kind of the end of innocence as the games really started to move towards professionalism, had a nice mix. Probably before a lot of the “newer” sports were added to both programs.

Could argue that 90s period was great, Nagano and Sydney were brilliant, and we’ll just disregard the Coca Cola Games.

The Ice Hockey gold medal like the downhill probably are the blue riband events of the winter games.

It means 25 Finnish players go home with a gold medal and 26 individual Finns have a gold medal not just the 2 shown in the medal tally.

If you do an adjusted medal tally for individual golds, Germany go from 11 to 14.

28 gold medals handed out to 18 different Norwegian athletes

Great stuff by the Finnish captain say, bugger it if we can't have presenters, I am going to put the medal around all my players neck.

I don't recall that happening at Tokyo for any of the 7 (x 2) team sports gold medal presentations.
The boomers presented their rose gold medals to each other

RussellEbertHandball interested in your opinion on this. When, in your mind, did the Olympics peak?

For me, Barcelona and Albertville/Lillehammer was the golden period. Cold War was over, boycotts done, Eastern Bloc cloud had passed. Kind of the end of innocence as the games really started to move towards professionalism, had a nice mix. Probably before a lot of the “newer” sports were added to both programs.

Could argue that 90s period was great, Nagano and Sydney were brilliant, and we’ll just disregard the Coca Cola Games.
I think you asked me this in the summer Olympics thread maybe at end of Rio games, if not you, it was someone else who asked what was my favourite games outside Sydney and I said Barcelona and gave several reasons why, including the ones you mentioned above. I would add Barcelona the magic of the city itself and Mandela and end of apartheid also added to that in a huge way, and the spectacle of the Dream Team.

I think the same for Lillehammer. Norway is the dominate team of the winter Olympics, and love their winter sports like we Aussies love summer ones, and being a small nation, they don't carry that arrogant baggage and it came thru the TV screen, that they all got behind the games, had a lot of fun, and ran them very well.

The boomers presented their rose gold medals to each other
But that wasn't Patty, that was the next bloke in line IIRC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And to add to that 52 different Finns will take home a medal (considering the women's hockey team got bronze). The only multi-medallists were the Niskanen siblings.

And to add to that 52 different Finns will take home a medal (considering the women's hockey team got bronze). The only multi-medallists were the Niskanen siblings.
Between 1996 and 2012 Olympics I used to do an adjusted medals table for the top 10 nations showing how many individuals won medals, as Oz won a lot of team sports medals especially between 1996 and 2008, and their total medals at one olympics was 3rd, and only a handful behind 2nd.

Hockeyroos, Kookaburras, Women's water polo, basketball, softball, baseball in 2004 etc won medals in these 4 games.

Yanks regularly have about 240 individuals in their team 600 go home with a medal and their golds gets around 100 when they win 2 x 12 basketball golds, 1 x 13 women's water polo, 1 x 13 women's volleyball, 1 x 22 women's soccer etc.

Anyone old enough to remember peggy browne ?
Whilst I replied yes before, it's been bubbling away at the back of my brain, but do you mean the American commentator who also won a gold medal in figure skating in 1968 who was called Peggy Fleming??

I'm pretty sure it was her commentary in 1988 on Channel 9, when Mike Gibson would bar up everytime he introduced Katarina Witt was about to skate.

Whilst I replied yes before, it's been bubbling away at the back of my brain, but do you mean the American commentator who also won a gold medal in figure skating in 1968 who was called Peggy Fleming??

I'm pretty sure it was her commentary in 1988 on Channel 9, when Mike Gibson would bar up everytime he introduced Katarina Witt was about to skate.
My confusion as well , peggy browne was the gymnastic commentator in the 80s

Remove this Banner Ad

Back