Winter Beijing 2022 4th Feb to 22nd preview and general discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Given how close the Winter Olympics are, I thought I'd open a preview and general thread, rather than stick stuff in the, Olympic Sports between games thread, like I did late last year.

I was prompted by seeing Jackie Narracott has won the Skeleton World Cup event overnight. Its history and first time any Aussie has won a World Cup event in any of the sliding sports.

Bree Walker in the mono Bobsleigh won an event (world series not world cup) in December and has made the podium a few times this season. Unlike the aerials stuff where you can practice in the northern summer at the Olympic institute set up in Brisbane these 2 sports you have to get onto the traditional countries circuits.

Earlier in the week Laura Peel won the WC event in Utah and was able to land one of the highest scoring jumps of all time with her full-full-full, triple twisting triple back somersault. She continues the great tradition in this event with Kirstie Marshall, Jacquie Cooper, Alisa Camplin and Lydia Lassila winning medals at World Championships/Cups and Olympics going back to the early 90's.

and she did this in practice a couple of days before her win in Utah's Deer Valley

Last edited:
Winter Olympic Training Centre set up in Brisbane was opened in May last year and cost $6.5mil. Feds chipped in $5.3mil.

2018 Silver medalist in the Moguls Matt Graham, recovering from a broken collarbone and training at the Brisbane facility

Last edited:

I think this is enough for now, maybe when the games start is the time to fire one up.

Yeah we'll put one up at some stage.

Don't think we need individual sport threads - I'm not sure the interest is there for the Winter Games as they are for the Summer Games.

Yeah we'll put one up at some stage.

Don't think we need individual sport threads - I'm not sure the interest is there for the Winter Games as they are for the Summer Games.
I agree. Things will fire up once the Games start. I'm a ice hockey fan but not an ice hockey nut. If some of the guys who post in the NHL board come over, they might start up an Ice Hockey thread as there are several games everyday.

That's a shame. Would that mean the European powerhouses in the sport would be at an advantage eg. Russia, Sweden, Finland etc ?
No doubt they will have a big advantage over Canada and USA, but those top 4 or 5 Euro nations have a lot of players in the NHL.

There are a lot of Canadians and Americans playing in the top Euro leagues so they will draw players from there, as well as the development leagues in Canada, USA and the college system.

But the Russian league, the KHL is considered the 2nd best league so their depth should mean they are short priced favourites.

1642585171350.png

So pumped.

Really excited for the ladies figure skating. No joke. The ensuring battle between the Russian girls is going to be amazing.

Anna Shcherbakova, Aleksandra Trusova and Kamila Valiyeva. Look out!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yikes, Hamish AND Basil. :sick:
I knew Hame was going but didn't realise Basil was. Guess it makes sense going from one hermit covid kingdom to another. Obviously Perth City Council wont need him at any meetings during the Games.

maybe Basil is calling it off the tv.
There was a story last week that said NBC weren't sending any commentators over there, but 7 were at this stage going to send their's over. I guess that might still mean Basil stays in oz but he would have to go 7's Melbourne studio they built for Tokyo to call from.

There was a story last week that said NBC weren't sending any commentators over there, but 7 were at this stage going to send their's over. I guess that might still mean Basil stays in oz but he would have to go 7's Melbourne studio they built for Tokyo to call from.
the story just keeps getting worse if that's the case. Victoria needs a no Basil policy at the border

Will be giving the open ceremony and closing a big pass. Be the first one I have missed. I am sure the news will have the "highlights"

will watch some events but I am not sure if I can get over the China factor to watch 24/7. Plus, some winter sports confuse me

The aquatic centre for Beijing 2008 summer games has been turned into the curling arena with 4 curling sheets and 4 matches going on at the same time in the round robin stages. Gill and Hewitt are on at 20.05 Beijing time (same as Perth) which is 23.05 AEDT.

And Steve Hewitt will be doing a Richard Fox and calling his son Dean performing as part of the 7 commentary team. Won't be as tense as Richard watching Jessica go down the rapids.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back