Universal Love Being a bottom team

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a difference between want and expect. I want to win every game. But I'm also rational.

Yes but I felt when the draw came out and even after the suspensions that we should be able to win half a dozen, at first today wasn't one of them but with how poorly Collingwood is traveling and we are going okay then today is one we shouldn't drop, if we can bring the same level we showed against Geelong.

So we finally delivered on what was expected of us pre-season. Was it fun? No. Was it expected? Yes, eventually. Was it all bad? No... This is the first of many smashings - let's appreciate the good things this year...

The way I get through it is if we had the 12 back, I'd expect us to be challenging for the 8 or around that mark, probably not make finals. We'd end up with pick 8 or so and then we'd move into 2017.
Right now we will likely finish bottom, get pick 1 and then get an influx of quality players back, which I'd suspect put us back into the mix for the 8 but we'd have the added benefit of new, high quality youth in the team. This is how I get through it.

Be cool if we end up with pick 1, then get pick 2 for Hooker and maybe a couple of other decent picks from trades.

Getting some of the 12 back with their skill and experience, topping up on some high end draftees and getting a year of experience into our younger brigade this year sets us up really well for the future.

I reckon it sucks.
Sure there is no expectations - but there is zero feelings from me...

It was tough today because this is the sort of flat-track bullying I'd expect of Collingwood (and Collingwood is one of the few teams I can't tolerate). Port I can accept because they'll do what they did to us to a few really good teams before the year ends (and they find themselves out of the finals). Collingwood will hardly fire a shot against decent opposition.

There were still enough positives for today to be interesting.

Hartley is forcing his way into the best 22 by the week (which can free Hooker to use forward or replace him if Hooker leaves).

Fantasia is getting shots on goal and racking up midfield numbers.

Grimley looked better the longer the game went (he could be an important addition to our list in 2017).

Langford, Parish and Tippa all looked the part.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way I get through it is if we had the 12 back, I'd expect us to be challenging for the 8 or around that mark, probably not make finals. We'd end up with pick 8 or so and then we'd move into 2017.
Right now we will likely finish bottom, get pick 1 and then get an influx of quality players back, which I'd suspect put us back into the mix for the 8 but we'd have the added benefit of new, high quality youth in the team. This is how I get through it.
What are your thoughts on Heppell returning? Reckon it will happen?

I reckon it sucks.
Sure there is no expectations - but there is zero feelings from me...

Spot on. Watched Collingwood tear our team apart for the first half and felt absolutely nothing. I reckon the saga was so terrible that we're just happy to be back to the stage where everything is about footy itself, so it levels out to nothing.

At least we can point to players like Zerrett, Parish, Fantasia as well as a some mature age pick ups in Tippa and Hartley that really look like they will be a big part of our future going forward. Not to mention a lot of our 1st and 2nd year players are doing really well in the VFL and pushing for selection/in the side including Long, Mckenna, Redman, Eades, Laverde (shame about the injury but he's going to be a GUN), Francis (same as Laverde but he's only in his first year and still working on his fitness etc). Also Zaharakis is showing a sustained level of form and performance that I didn't believe he was capable of - if he continues to play like this he's a genuine A grader and that makes our list look a lot better too.

There's plenty to look forward to. I've got a damned good feeling about that 2015 draft and trade period - i think its going to be our best one ever. I know that's a crazy early call but I just like what i'm seeing and reading. To be fair we took a heck of a lot of picks so it is a bit of a skewed bet - if you take like 7 players in the ND including two top 10 picks you've got a much better chance than some of our recent drafts.

If we can retain most of the 12 / get decent compensation + do well in this years draft again then there's no reason we can't set ourselves up for a sustained period of success in the next few years. We might even challenge for the top 8 next year (but a lot of water under the bridge still to go there).

So while the short term will hurt - just remember we are getting games into those kids and we have quality experienced players that will be back next year. I personally would love it if next year everyone is complaining about how unfair it is that we got a top pick when we are clearly a much better team than the bottom 4. I reckon its a fair chance of happening too.

Spot on. Watched Collingwood tear our team apart for the first half and felt absolutely nothing. I reckon the saga was so terrible that we're just happy to be back to the stage where everything is about footy itself, so it levels out to nothing.

Felt much the same. Normally I'd be furious. I was just hoping we'd kick a few to keep ut somewhat respectable, which thankfully happened.

At least this year feels like rock bottom, and with Tanner and Woosha at the helm, youngsters like Parish, Merrett and Fantasia doing so well, and the prospect of getting at least some of the 12 back, I think we have a much better 2017 and beyond to look forward to.

As far as the rest of this year goes, we are going to be in for some almighty beltings when we play the top 8 teams. Just hope people realise this and don't go overboard with criticism.

Development is a silver lining, but being a bottom side definitely doesn't deserve a universal love tag. Last year was terrible. The mid 2000's were horrible. I know that previously I/we have been spoilt but still being down the bottom sucks and I hope after this year is done with our rise is steady and long lasting. I haven't seen a spoon yet and I hope I never do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back