Family & Relationships Being a Dad

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking forward to becoming a first time father in early September.

Currently up to the 18 week (small sweet potato) mark, and ready to find out kidlet's sex within the week.

Don't mind either way as I feel either would be awesome for different reasons, but I'm really curious to see how I actually feel when we find out.

Edit: this thread has been a great read btw, and my heart goes out to all the posters and readers who have had miscarriages. I've had many friends go through the same in the past year or so and I know how tough it's been for them.

having one of those why did I become a parent again weekends, luckily it's the last day of school holidays so hopefully that will settle the little terror down again

Took the 2 year out for a dad/son weekend to get lunch and then watch a SANFL game > consisted of him screaming his lungs out for no reason every where we went, him slinging a half eaten banana at some random lady who decided to sit next to us in an empty cafe (I deliberately chose an empty cafe to avoid that happening and she still decided that sitting right next to a screaming baby was a good choice), and then for some reason, him power pooping and overflowing his nappy just as i rocked up to the footy. I can't wait until he starts school

Took the 2 year out for a dad/son weekend to get lunch and then watch a SANFL game > consisted of him screaming his lungs out for no reason every where we went, him slinging a half eaten banana at some random lady who decided to sit next to us in an empty cafe (I deliberately chose an empty cafe to avoid that happening and she still decided that sitting right next to a screaming baby was a good choice), and then for some reason, him power pooping and overflowing his nappy just as i rocked up to the footy. I can't wait until he starts school
30 more minutes and she's off to school

Kids are a massive test of character. I'm a SAH dad to 2 boys for the last 2.5 years. 5 and 3. Definitely the hardest job I've ever done but also learnt shitloads.

The 3 yo was only weaned 2 months ago and the 5 yo had tonsilitis and glandular fever double whammy at 2.5 yo and ended up in high dependancy for a night or 2 and a week in hospital, so we've had to manage that. Sleep, sleep more sleep and water. Its not the hardest road but we've picked up a few hints and tips along the way.

It's something my wife and I took really seriously and sold our investment property to have a parent home all the time. The best advice I could offer is to give as much PATIENCE and LOVE as you can and do whats right for your family, don't fret over what friends or family think.

Your sacrifice is proportional to thier happiness, so the more generous with time, love and patience you are the more receptive they'll be to you and things you want them to do. Have a firm sense of discipline.

Post Natal Depression is just a bullshit made up thing for parenting in our society. Its real, I've struggled at times but parenting is tough. If your wife 'gets' PND be supportive and try to understand that staying at home with a kid or kids is a big change and really ******* hard. Harder than any paid work you'll ever do, especially with society constructed the way it is currently. Don't expect too much positive parenting stuff in the media, the government doesn't give a s**t about your wellbeing or your kids as long as its not 'critical path'. Kids in care and parents at work means productivity and taxes. Unlike Norway who are paying a little for a parent to stay home with the kids, surprise!!! Its beneficial!

Anyway, don't struggle alone. If you need a rant or a whinge feel free to PM me. Good luck.

Kids are a massive test of character. I'm a SAH dad to 2 boys for the last 2.5 years. 5 and 3. Definitely the hardest job I've ever done but also learnt shitloads.

The 3 yo was only weaned 2 months ago and the 5 yo had tonsilitis and glandular fever double whammy at 2.5 yo and ended up in high dependancy for a night or 2 and a week in hospital, so we've had to manage that. Sleep, sleep more sleep and water. Its not the hardest road but we've picked up a few hints and tips along the way.

It's something my wife and I took really seriously and sold our investment property to have a parent home all the time. The best advice I could offer is to give as much PATIENCE and LOVE as you can and do whats right for your family, don't fret over what friends or family think.

Your sacrifice is proportional to thier happiness, so the more generous with time, love and patience you are the more receptive they'll be to you and things you want them to do. Have a firm sense of discipline.

Post Natal Depression is just a bullshit made up thing for parenting in our society. Its real, I've struggled at times but parenting is tough. If your wife 'gets' PND be supportive and try to understand that staying at home with a kid or kids is a big change and really ******* hard. Harder than any paid work you'll ever do, especially with society constructed the way it is currently. Don't expect too much positive parenting stuff in the media, the government doesn't give a s**t about your wellbeing or your kids as long as its not 'critical path'. Kids in care and parents at work means productivity and taxes. Unlike Norway who are paying a little for a parent to stay home with the kids, surprise!!! Its beneficial!

Anyway, don't struggle alone. If you need a rant or a whinge feel free to PM me. Good luck.
PND is not bullshit mate

PND is not bullshit mate
No s**t. Read my whole post. Im saying its a thing, but making it sound like a disease a mother 'gets' is the wrong approach. Good loving mothers can get experience PND. Gralin did you even read what I wrote?

No s**t. Read my whole post. Im saying its a thing, but making it sound like a disease a mother 'gets' is the wrong approach. Good loving mothers can get experience PND. Gralin did you even read what I wrote?
Maybe there is a word missing?

Post Natal Depressionis just a bullshit made up thing for parenting in our society.

Kind of skewed what you wrote for me, changed the tone of what you wrote after in my mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every mother that doesn't have the right support from either family or a partner will experience PND, some will anyway despite the support. It shouldn't be taboo or shameful to experience depression being a new mother but there is still some stigma around it for sure.

Society and our material and selfish ways sure don't help matters. If you haven't stayed home full time for an extended period with your kids, you really don't get a proper understanding of the role of the primary carer, which in the vast majority of cases, is the mother.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back