Family & Relationships Being a Dad

Remove this Banner Ad

So, I'm going to be a Dad in a couple of months :eek: I know nothing can really prepare you for it but I was wondering about the experiences of other people. Any advice? Do's and don't's? Would love to hear from other guys who have gone through it or even women on how best to cope. Cheers.

During the birth, don't wear shoes. There will be blood.

became a dad 6mths ago. you'd be getting advice left, right and centre i'm sure, but i can recommend you do the little things around the house that you might not have done before...

theres so many phases through your childs life that require different things that your constantly learning. my kids are 3 and almost 2 so yeh i am still new to it.

but the birth of our children was the happiest day of my life by far. your on this cloud of happiness for weeks. unbelievable feeling. nothing can prepare you for it. scary, exciting, rewarding is how i can describe it.

that and the over whelming feeling of mortality

Not a Dad yet but I have friends with kids and they think I'll make a good Dad one day. I think I would love it but ofcourse they are a huge responsibility.
Just have to get my finances in order and find a suitable wife:D

It sounds so cliched but it's the best experience you'll have, and only those who are dads can really understand it. You want advice? This book was recommended to me by a mate and it helped me. Insightful and witty.

ImageHandler.ashx

Good luck and welcome to the brethren!

Make sure he's not a Cats fan. After your three flags, your luck has ran out. He'll be doomed to a lifetime of underachievement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make sure he's not a Cats fan. After your three flags, your luck has ran out. He'll be doomed to a lifetime of underachievement.

Haha, I'm going to have a hard time even getting them into footy over here. I'm going to have to teach them to play hockey or something. Should be interesting.

Also, nothing about luck in winning flags ;)

Be prepared for a couple of months feeling like the most useless campaigner in the world. Mum is very much your childs entire universe for a little while and that can knock you around a bit. Just try not to stress about it and do what you can to make them comfortable.

You will learn much about yourself and your lady in those early months. But getting to know your baby is the most magnificent thing I reckon.

All the above posts put what I was gonna say perfectly. In addition make sure you start cooking bulk meals (curries) etc and freezing meals and make sure you stay on top of the washing. The older generation are a treasure trove of knowledge so listen to them but adapt advice to your way of doing things. They are also ignorant to modern practices like sleeping position, proper wrapping and no toys in the cot to combat SIDS so be quick to correct them as they will babysit for you at some stage. Lastly, if you want to conk the baby with some formula before their 21st birthday, do it and * those breast milk nazis

its a great time, enjoy it. The odd part is when your in the hospital i found during the birth they talk to the woman like she is *ed and you are watching an exhibit. Then so much during the stay is just geared at the mum, makes sense, but sometimes you feel like the hospital presumes the dad wont be around.

My advice is to find your own niche with things. Do what you find best, it's all subtlely different.

Have 2 boys myself - one is 4 next month, the other is 1 in a week and a half. Second time round is so much easier than the first.

I found that with the firstborn, you'll be waiting for them to do something. Try and live in the moment. It seems like it takes forever for them to reach each milestone but once they do, it seems like they've always been doing it and it's hard to remember when they couldn't.

You'll probably also be overly cautious with your first. It's natural. Just remember, they're fragile but still tough little buggers. Don't freak out over every little bump or scratch or rash they get because they will get them. But always remember it's better to be safe than sorry. Keep the Health Direct number handy, they're always very reassuring.

Also - grow bags for sleeping are awesome once they're ready for their own room. Keeps them warm and no chance of them getting their head trapped under a blanket. Don't even bother with the expensive ones (some are like $80 each). You can get affordable ones from places like Big W.

If you're formula feeding, make sure you stay on top of washing bottles, boiling water and having them ready, in the fridge. Last thing you want is to wake up at 2am and have to make a bottle. And you can just give them to the baby cold. Don't listen to the crap about warming them up. If you're lucky, once bub can hold them you're set to just drop one in their mouth and go back to sleep. :thumbsu:

Last thing - takes lot of photos/video and organise and back it all up. Very handy for making video clips or photo books or even just framed photos for presents to wife/parents. :)

I'll second the grow bags. They are awesome.

And as a father of a 9 month old going through mega seperation anxiety & teething....enjoy your sleep when you can get it.

If you're formula feeding, make sure you stay on top of washing bottles, boiling water and having them ready, in the fridge. Last thing you want is to wake up at 2am and have to make a bottle. And you can just give them to the baby cold. Don't listen to the crap about warming them up. If you're lucky, once bub can hold them you're set to just drop one in their mouth and go back to sleep. :thumbsu:
Agree on having the clean bottles ready, however ours wouldn't drink the milk (and then get to sleep) unless it was warm. Cold just wasn't an option.

That sucks. Guess we were lucky with ours. Your's is too fussy. :p
Yours is too easily pleased :p
A quick zap in the microwave or a boil on the stove and it's all good, done in a minute or two.
Actually from my experience with friends and family, most of their babies preferred warm to cold milk, especially if you're trying to get them to sleep.

What I was thankful for is that ours never took a dummy, as they can be bloody difficult later to get them off it once they become attached and used to them.

Back to the bottle sterilization make sure to chuck the dummies in too. Also dummies are good. If anyone tells you otherwise ignore it.

A clean dummy in the mouth is much cleaner than a fist or thumb. Also helps you hold off feeding til the baby is due for its bottle rather than giving the child their bottle early and upsetting their stomach.

Yours is too easily pleased :p
A quick zap in the microwave or a boil on the stove and it's all good, done in a minute or two.
Actually from my experience with friends and family, most of their babies preferred warm to cold milk, especially if you're trying to get them to sleep.

What I was thankful for is that ours never took a dummy, as they can be bloody difficult later to get them off it once they become attached and used to them.

Lol, I'm happy for that! ;)

My first had a dummy but went off it pretty quickly. Once his teeth came through. There's still 4 year olds at his daycare that use them, though!

My second never took to the dummy. But he's fantastic at going back to sleep as soon as you chuck him a bottle. He does need a very dark room to sleep though... has started daycare and hardly naps. Block out curtains FTW!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back