Being average at best for last 60 years, Why are the Pies so high profile with a high membership?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies and Richmond both have just the 2 AFL flags. I wonder why the arbitrary cut off point of 1959??

Poor old Tiges supporters, they have been so scarred by their mediocracy over the past 30 years in the National competition they just cant help but carry the very large chip on their shoulders by making everything about them when a bit of success finally comes their way.
Be nice if, as a fan base, they could have a little bit of class in victory but alas the psychological damage runs deep in many.
Ummm he was talking about Victorian clubs, and 60 years is generally a lifetime, but al kudos to west coast for the AFL flags, so no harm no foul

Most wins, most finals appearances, most finals wins, most GF appearances. They’ve never been bad for long enough for supporters to drop off.

Essendon, Richmond and now Carlton have all endured barren periods where they’re uncompetitive. Collingwood’s barren spell included 8 GF appearances.

I hate that a lot. I dont think youre a genuine supporter if losing a grand final does not hurt and cut deep. Similarly you only rock up to support the Club when it is a lock to win a GF.

Yeah, all clubs have those types. Maybe it's just me, but I do know quite a few people who fit that description and support Collingwood. Some of them even have memberships.

But it's not all bad. Half-arsed support for any team is better than no support, especially for someone whose immigrated.

It's not winning flags that gets/keeps fans so much as the HOPE of winning flags.

Collingwood are thereabouts often enough that that hope remains alive.

That they keep falling over at the final hurdle is great comedy for the rest of us, but it doesn't really just the membership numbers significantly.

From that list, only Carlton is older than North and the Saints. Bulldogs are older than Richmond too.

For Melbourne-based teams, it is a combination of being older and having regular success. Having a long history without regular success is not a recipe for a huge fanbase. Neither is having regular success without a long history.

Pies and Richmond both have just the 2 AFL flags. I wonder why the arbitrary cut off point of 1959??

Poor old Tiges supporters, they have been so scarred by their mediocracy over the past 30 years in the National competition they just cant help but carry the very large chip on their shoulders by making everything about them when a bit of success finally comes their way.
Be nice if, as a fan base, they could have a little bit of class in victory but alas the psychological damage runs deep in many.
:'(:'(:'( You hurt my feelings

The AFL continually over promotes them even though they aren't even the biggest club in the league any more, which is major leg up for them. The Collingwood myth becomes self perpetuating.

Before 1974, they really only showed the black and white teams on TV.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and as always, the only people who do are non-Richmond supporters...

but yeah, go ahead and pretend it's Richmond fans doing it. That feeds your hate and gives us LOLs.

I do it . I’ve got another 35 years of payback . It’s ok when we were crap . I’ll never stop .
Funny 60 years of magpie mythology. MELBOURNE has been as successful .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Rarely mentioned is the fact that of the original VFL clubs, Collingwood is clearly the youngest.
Formed only 5 years before the VFL started, Collingwood garnered an immediately large and loyal fan base once brought into existence in 1892.
Other clubs had long head starts over the Pies: Melbourne by 34 years, Geelong by 33, Carlton by 28, Essendon by 20, St Kilda by 19, South M by 18.
Decades of seasons had passed without Collingwood even existing.
But they caught up and overtook their rivals very quickly.
An alternative question should be, how did the clubs with decades of a head start get overtaken in support by the upstart late comer Collingwood?

Yes clearly. An absolute myth of a club .

Collingwood have remained a high profile club largely because of their loyal and passionate supporters. They’re the heart and soul of the club. Rain, hail or snow they’ll turn up to cheer their team.

Loyal ? Rain hail or snow ? Stop the melodramatic magpie mythology. I remover quite clearly in Toby Shaw’s last year the massive drop off . Gosh you guys need to know your place in the pecking order .....

Most wins, most finals appearances, most finals wins, most GF appearances. They’ve never been bad for long enough for supporters to drop off.

Essendon, Richmond and now Carlton have all endured barren periods where they’re uncompetitive. Collingwood’s barren spell included 8 GF appearances.

And still Richmond has more . We win the arms race .

I thought of posting this on the Pies board but would like opinion from all supporters:

In the last 61 years they've accumulated 3 flags, Hawthorn has 13 from 58 years yet don't have as many members and don't have as a high a profile - certainly from a media perspective.

Arguably this club has the highest profile of all 18 teams and also arguably is the highest profile sporting organization in the whole country.

GF's in 60,64,70,77,79,80,81,90,02,03,10,11,18

That's two wins from 13 attempts - not including 2 draws. Pathetic.

Given their what I would consider not even average performances in that time, why do they hold that profile billing? How is that they have over 85k members? Why do Pies fans stick phat?

From my own perspective my answer is that I'm a descendant of the late great Daniel Minogue, my family adopted Collingwood and stuck phat when he moved clubs after the war. But that puts me and my family in the minority of Pie fans - a drop in the ocean.

So Pie fans and footy followers why is it that this club albeit it's deplorable record have such a high profile, multi million dollar turnover, and a very very large membership and supporter base?

Because of continued marketing genius. They have been promoted as "Australia's football club " which has picked up the casuals as opposed to the rest of the clubs who are made of mostly of local supporters (with the exception of Sydney that is). They are always in the media spotlight because they work constantly on staying there harder than most other clubs, and always remain relevant in one way or another. In recent times Eddy Everywhere has a huge part to play in that.

Corporate wise they are probably without doubt the strongest club in the league.

Also helps that they are always in the finals or just missing the finals at the least, I can't even remember them lingering in the bottom 4 for years in my lifetime.

Since 1959 the flag count for vic clubs is:

Hawthorn - 13
Carlton - 8
Richmond - 7
Essendon - 6
North - 4
Geelong - 3
Melbourne - 3
Collingwood - 2
St Kilda - 1
Bulldogs - 1

Languishing near the bottom the old Pies. It’s no wonder they’ve been left in the dust for memberships too when the new number one has as many flags in 3 years as they do in 60
Pies ain’t won flags but they always contending

50s Pies played most finals of all teams
60s Pies played 2nd most finals
70s Pies played 2nd most finals
80s Pies played 4th most finals
90s (finally won a flag!!)
00s Pies played 3rd most finals
10s Pies played 4th most finals

Pies have made 82 finals series, and played in 183 finals games (next best is Carlton with just 139.

Always challenging and winning games appearing in finals keeps the supporters happy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back