Being average at best for last 60 years, Why are the Pies so high profile with a high membership?

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfamiliar with Tobias Shaw; a distant relative of Tony, Ray, Rhys and Neville perhaps? Not sure why you removered his final year either.

You mean Rhyce?

Pro-tip, if you're gunna bag people for spelling the name of a Shaw wrong, don't do the same yourself.

Air molecules don't scatter different colors equally. They scatter shorter wavelengths such as blue in greater amounts than the longer wavelengths such as red. So the question is why blue and not another short wavelength colour.

When you look at a rainbow you see a range of colours from red through yellow & greens to blues and eventually violet. So if shorter wavelengths are more easily scattered why don't we see the sky as purple.

Because our eyes react to light. Inside the eye there are two types of cells that react to light. 'Rods' are sensitive to brightness and three types of 'cones' are responsible for detecting colour. The three types of cones are sensitive to lights of certain wavelengths.

The 'blue' cones are more sensitive to blue than violet, so when you look up at the sky, the cones tell your brain you are seeing blue even though there is violet there.
Duuuuuudeeeeee

Unfamiliar with Tobias Shaw; a distant relative of Tony, Ray, Rhys and Neville perhaps? Not sure why you removered his final year either.

I said Toby Shaw , not Tobias ! If you cant correct properly then don't do it at all. What is removered ?? Don't throw too many rocks , genius.

Couldn't care about his final year ( i.e Toby) , so you admit then that there was a drop off ?

Myth club , like Melbourne you were good in the 1920S AND 30s and 50s .

I said Toby Shaw , not Tobias ! If you cant correct properly then don't do it at all. What is removered ?? Don't throw too many rocks , genius.

Couldn't care about his final year ( i.e Toby) , so you admit then that there was a drop off ?

Myth club , like Melbourne you were good in the 1920S AND 30s and 50s .
You've got me with your superior intellect Bruce😏. However I was actually quoting you who wrote "removered", Einstein. What grade are you in at primary school?

How many finals series have they played in the last 60 years? People live in the present. If a team wins more than they lose, they'll keep following.

Last edited:
So Pie fans and footy followers why is it that this club albeit it's deplorable record have such a high profile, multi million dollar turnover, and a very very large membership and supporter base?

Many supporters due to older family support, and despite the abysmal grand final record, is still a winning, successful club that makes finals and grand finals regularly.

The OP cites the 'deplorable record' of the CFC, and with some justification as Premierships have proven to be VERY difficult for the club to win.
Checking other metrics and then other reasons for the large sustained following become apparent.

Collingwood is ranked;

Number 1 for overall games won since the inception of the VFL/AFL = 1546
Number 1 for Home Games won = 820
Number 1 for Away games won = 646
Number 1 for overall all time attendance (Home, Away and Finals)
Number 1 for number of years in the finals = 84
Number 1 for number of finals played = 146
Number 1 for most finals won = 80
Number 1 for numbers of Grand Finals = 44
Number 2 for numbers of Grand Finals won = 15*
Number 3 for current memberships

If not for the * stat, the competition would have one club sitting heads and shoulders above the rest.
But to the endless delight of non-Collingwood fans the Grand Final loss tally brings the club back to the pack.
Collingwood has a deplorable Grand Final record, that is undeniable.
But in order to make those Grand Finals an enormous amount of well attended games are consistently won.

Again, you're quoting their existence since the VFL inception - that's not the last 60 years.

In short 1st 60 yrs - absolutely dominant and rightly regarded as such.

Last 60 yrs - continually make *opportunities for themselves only to waste them. Poor to mediocre but revered by fans and media alike.

* Some would argue this is not a measure of success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again, you're quoting their existence since the VFL inception - that's not the last 60 years.

In short 1st 60 yrs - absolutely dominant and rightly regarded as such.

Last 60 yrs - continually make *opportunities for themselves only to waste them. Poor to mediocre but revered by fans and media alike.

* Some would argue this is not a measure of success.

So for the last 60 years.
Since and including 1960;

3rd = Home & Away Games won 727
1st = Overall Attendances
1st = Number of Years in Finals 35
1st = Finals Played 85 (= Haw)
2nd = Finals Won 37
2nd = Grand Finals Played 14 (= Carl)
9th = Grand Finals Won 2

Completely at the top level in the last 60 except for deplorable Grand Final record.

The OP cites the 'deplorable record' of the CFC, and with some justification as Premierships have proven to be VERY difficult for the club to win.
Checking other metrics and then other reasons for the large sustained following become apparent.

Collingwood is ranked;

Number 1 for overall games won since the inception of the VFL/AFL = 1546
Number 1 for Home Games won = 820
Number 1 for Away games won = 646
Number 1 for overall all time attendance (Home, Away and Finals)
Number 1 for number of years in the finals = 84
Number 1 for number of finals played = 146
Number 1 for most finals won = 80
Number 1 for numbers of Grand Finals = 44
Number 2 for numbers of Grand Finals won = 15*
Number 3 for current memberships

If not for the * stat, the competition would have one club sitting heads and shoulders above the rest.
But to the endless delight of non-Collingwood fans the Grand Final loss tally brings the club back to the pack.
Collingwood has a deplorable Grand Final record, that is undeniable.
But in order to make those Grand Finals an enormous amount of well attended games are consistently won.
Actually Collingwood is 3rd for VFL/AFL premierships.

Essendon and Carlton are equal 1st. When there are two clubs who are 1st it doesn't make the next club 2nd. It makes them 3rd.

Actually Collingwood is 3rd for VFL/AFL premierships.

Essendon and Carlton are equal 1st. When there are two clubs who are 1st it doesn't make the next club 2nd. It makes them 3rd.
Yep, you’re right on that point. Pies are 3rd for flags as 2 sides above them are equal 1st. 😉

GF's in 60,64,70,77,79,80,81,90,02,03,10,11,18

That's two wins from 13 attempts - not including 2 draws. Pathetic.
Because they have made 13 Grand Finals - that's decade after decade of constantly winning, and being a genuine premiership threat every ten years or so. The longest period between GFs is 12 years - that's insane.

The only side which can match that record is Hawthorn (and West Coast, but for longevity).

'Average' is having periods of making a couple of GFs, then 20 years in obscurity, then a genuine shot at the flag again. Think: Norf, Adelaide, Port or Essendon.

Since 1959 the flag count for vic clubs is:

Hawthorn - 13
Carlton - 8
Richmond - 7
Essendon - 6
North - 4
Geelong - 4
Melbourne - 3
Collingwood - 2
St Kilda - 1
Bulldogs - 1

Languishing near the bottom the old Pies. It’s no wonder they’ve been left in the dust for memberships too when the new number one has as many flags in 3 years as they do in 60

Yawn... you have such short memories boy.

I'll make it simple multiple-choice for you, to match your IQ.

When did you get back on the bandwagon?

a) Never really did, I microwaved my membership back in 1983

b) Only anonymously online, cos I was the guy that dumped the chook s**t outside punt rd oval

c) I joined during 2017 Grand final just after 3/4 time, when I knew Adelaide needed to do a Bradbury to get up.

FUN FACT

During the great depression in the 1930's the Collingwood football club would allow people into the Magpies games without charging an entrance fee. All other Victorian clubs still charged an entrance fee. This obviously helped Collingwood build up a big supporter base that has still carried on today
The simple answer is Collingwood supporters are loyal, incredibly stupid but loyal and lets be honest what other club would want them?

Yawn... you have such short memories boy.

I'll make it simple multiple-choice for you, to match your IQ.

When did you get back on the bandwagon?

a) Never really did, I microwaved my membership back in 1983

b) Only anonymously online, cos I was the guy that dumped the chook s**t outside punt rd oval

c) I joined during 2017 Grand final just after 3/4 time, when I knew Adelaide needed to do a Bradbury to get up.
Did I mention that Magpie supporters are incredibly stupid?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back