Being average at best for last 60 years, Why are the Pies so high profile with a high membership?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah winning 2 flags since '58 is a very poor return, especially considering the number of GFs you've played in, and especially since we've managed 13 in that time as you state (we are a freak of a club, don't forget that). However, look at in a comparative way, with other major clubs....

Geelong have only 3 since 1963
Tiges have only 2 since 1980 (recent success hides this fact)
Bombers are 2 decades since their last flag
Blues are a quarter of a century since their last.
Melbourne (and yes their status as a 'major' club these days is questionable at best) are well over half a century since their last one.
Crows are more than 2 decades since their last

Hopefully that makes you feel a little better....

I agree where in that bracket of "success" (or lack of depending on your viewpoint) of those clubs you've listed but it doesn't explain the sustained attendance records and continued (and growing!) fan and member base.

I agree where in that bracket of "success" (or lack of depending on your viewpoint) of those clubs you've listed but it doesn't explain the sustained attendance records and continued (and growing!) fan and member base.
There's probably a degree of cult-like indoctrination going on there too, Collingwood is somewhat of a cult, in a sporting sense. And once someone is indoctrinated, once a mind has been turned down that path, it's almost impossible to turn them aside. Like Scientology, or have a look at Trump, he is one enormous cult. Every single day there is some new extreme corruption, criminality, scandal, incompetence, and yet his brainwashed cultists continue to slaver all over him like he's some kind of Messiah, no matter what he does. He could indeed literally SHOOT someone in the street and they would say 'Obama/Hillary's emails/the deep state/the globalists/the fake news media did it!' and still line up like lemmings to vote for him.

Collingwood's a little bit like that, just on a far lesser scale. It's a similar principle.

There's probably a degree of cult-like indoctrination going on there too, Collingwood is somewhat of a cult, in a sporting sense. And once someone is indoctrinated, once a mind has been turned down that path, it's almost impossible to turn them aside. Like Scientology, or have a look at Trump, he is one enormous cult. Every single day there is some new extreme corruption, criminality, scandal, incompetence, and yet his brainwashed cultists continue to slaver all over him like he's some kind of Messiah, no matter what he does. He could indeed literally SHOOT someone in the street and they would say 'Obama/Hillary's emails/the deep state/the globalists/the fake news media did it!' and still line up like lemmings to vote for him.

Collingwood's a little bit like that, just on a far lesser scale. It's a similar principle.

I'll go so far as to say there is somewhat a "blind" following and that's the question really, don't know about a "cult" though. It's a football club not some intimidating organisation, some influence perhaps but not a "seek and destroy" all those who oppose.

Collingwood have more wins than any other team in the league. That probably helps.

And? This is no secret - in fact they've more of every game including finals except the important ones, is that the true measure of success? Is that why Collingwood have an unwarranted profile and following?

Since 1959 the flag count for vic clubs is:

Hawthorn - 13
Carlton - 8
Richmond - 7
Essendon - 6
North - 4
Geelong - 4
Melbourne - 3
Collingwood - 2
St Kilda - 1
Bulldogs - 1

Languishing near the bottom the old Pies. It’s no wonder they’ve been left in the dust for memberships too when the new number one has as many flags in 3 years as they do in 60

ignoring the 'look at moi' in this post it's interesting to note that the Pies have 764 wins to Melbourne's 543 over that time frame.

When success is narrowly defined as 'winning a premiership' you lose a lot of information that is relevant for gaining supporters.

Accessibility is a huge part of forming a supporter base, Collingwood's was heavily built on having 2 exclusive train lines that delivered supporters to the stadium door. in comparison South Melbourne was an island, Fitzroy were squeezed and North Melbourne were cramped. The Saints move to Moorabbin and the Bombers move to Windy Hill were genius.

That accessibility has continued through regular solid H&A performances enabling the Pies top billing on television, the new home of accessibility.

Just imagine how large their membership would be if they offered free dental care and a packet of Winnie Reds in the package.

Pies have been alot better than average

Grand Finals since AFL era (1990)
West Coast - 7
Geelong - 7
Hawthorn - 6
Collingwood -6
Sydney - 6

Richmond - 2

What clubs are trying to sell in order to retain and expand their fanbase is 'hope'. Hoping for a good year, of making finals, of having a sniff to win a flag. By virtue of their results, Collingwood is able to do this very well.

Fair dos to Collingwood. It can't be easy being the bridesmaid club, fronting up so often and
catching the bouquet only to find noone ever proposes.

Fair dos to Collingwood. It can't be easy being the bridesmaid club, fronting up so often and
It would definitely be hard to be a Pies supporter.

But hey, they are there a lot of the time and nothing hurts more than losing a GF, than to not play finals at all.

Surely you understand that.

I believe it consists of three major reasons, and they are:

1. They got off to the best start of all the teams and were incredibly dominant for a long period early on, thus bedding down generations of fans. The graph below shows the premierships won by each team adjusted for the different eras. It's clear from the areas I've pointed out just how dominant the Pies were from the 1920's to the '50's.

VFL AFL Premiers Graph Hightlited.jpg
2. They just keep getting in to Grand Finals, thus their profile is always very high. Any team that plays in a flag, regardless of if they win or not, is going to get much more publicity and focus than teams not playing in a GF, therefore they are always in the public eyes and easier for new fans to identify with and relate to.
3. They've won more games than any other team. Simple, winners attract followers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a bit much coming from a person who supports Richmond. You make it sound like Richmond hasn't been laughing stock in the very recent past.

Until very recently Richmond was a basket case of a club and the joke of the competition until they won their first AFL flag in 2017.

Collingwood > Richmond.

This is a bit much coming from a person who supports Richmond. You make it sound like Richmond hasn't been laughing stock in the very recent past.

Until very recently Richmond was a basket case of a club and the joke of the competition until they won their first AFL flag in 2017.

Collingwood > Richmond.
This is a bit much coming from a person who supports West coast. Until recently, West coast fans were ok. Now they're just sooks.

Most of us tiges don't give 2 shits about the old Richmond anymore. Why should we. It's the new one that matters, and the new one is the top of the food chain hence your sooking.:thumbsu:

This is a bit much coming from a person who supports West coast. Until recently, West coast fans were ok. Now they're just sooks.

Most of us tiges don't give 2 shits about the old Richmond anymore. Why should we. It's the new one that matters, and the new one is the top of the food chain hence your sooking.:thumbsu:

We still are ok. I was Just pointing out that what Richmond has done in the last 3 seasons doesn’t mean it leap frogs teams that have built up years of consistent success in the AFL era.

It’s bizarre to talk down the achievement of getting to a grand final.

Collingwoods 2 flags and multiple grand finals is more impressive than 2 flags and PF from Richmond.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There are various factors.
Eddie, relative success (good winning record overall), us against them mentality which makes fans insular and parochial.
It's a credit to pies fans really, they're always out and loud and proud.
Winning stuff isn't the be all and end all of attracting fans and connecting with people, looke at Tottenham-Hotspur in England or the Chicago Cubs in the USA or my soccer team in Sweden, Hammarby (have won one title ever, spent numerous periods outside the top flight, yet have the best attendances in all of Scandinavia and fans scattered across the country).

We still are ok. I was Just pointing out that what Richmond has done in the last 3 seasons doesn’t mean it leap frogs teams that have built up years of consistent success in the AFL era.

It’s bizarre to talk down the achievement of getting to a grand final.

Collingwoods 2 flags and multiple grand finals is more impressive than 2 flags and PF from Richmond.

Given the recent posts from FreeTK, Niggles etc., and the restraint shown by that Tiger troll Bruce Tempany, I can only assume either that (1) Tempany has been kidnapped and is physically restrained from posting; or (2) he has copped his right whack (a ban) from the Mod's for his earlier posting in this thread.

You literally had an extra game that draw 100k people and still couldn’t top us lol

Please post your teams average attendance numbers for home games ...... it’s convenient you forgot!!

I would of thought a team coming off a close loss in the 2018 HF, the bandwagon would of been full ...... apparently not and your home prelim final numbers against GWS were a true reflection of where you sit.

Hai Gaiz!

I'd just like to politely point out that West Coast Eagles hold the attendance record for 2019 home games against interstate teams (which is probably the fairest metric to determine a clubs draw power).

You really are delusional supporter base . Collingwoods size , influence and success is a myth . Because the herald sun says it didn’t make it true .
In particular, the last 60 years have been embarrassing. Myth club .

Precious much ? How many did you play at mcg ?

Anyhow last 60 years tragic , outperformed by Dees , lions Roos cats et al . A myth club .
Enjoy the extended wilderness coming your way . Tigers , 2019 afl premiers . Deal with it .

Collingwood's Last 60 years aren't as tragic as the last 39 years for Richmond: 2 Flags, 1 Grand Final and many, many embarrassments.

There is that time the debt collectors were about to take your VFL cups as collateral against all the debt you acumulated in the 1980's.

Or the time you lost an elimination final to a team ranked 9th on the ladder.

Or how about losing to new kids on the block West Coast in their first game ever ;)

Didn't Richmond lose 4 Grand Finals to Collingwood, including 3 in a row?

Has any other club ever lost 3 grand finals in a row to the same opponents?

Then there is the damning stat of Richmond only making finals 9 times in 39 seasons.

Last edited:
Collingwood's Last 60 years aren't as tragic as the last 39 years for Richmond: 2 Flags, 1 Grand Final and many, many embarrassments.

There is that time the debt collectors were about to take your VFL cups as collateral against all the debt you acumulated in the 1980's.

Or the time you lost an elimination final to a team ranked 9th on the ladder.

Or how about losing to new kids on the block West Coast in their first game ever ;)

Didn't Richmond lose 4 Grand Finals to Collingwood, including 3 in a row?

Has any other club ever lost 3 grand finals in a row to the same opponents?

Then there is the damning stat of Richmond only making finals 9 times in 39 seasons.
Given the last 60 years has resulted in 7 premierships for the tigers, compared to 2 for the pies ...... you really have struggled to compare, let alone the pies 12 losses compared to the tigers 2 in GF’s.

If you, like pies supporters are happy coming second, good luck with that!! We value premierships more than anything and collecting second place ribbons isn’t regarded as success.

I think your annoyed your own team let you down this year ...... not mine!! YIPPEE.

Collingwood > Richmond.
You do realise your club was create in a board room whilst Fremantle is rich is WA history ?

fremantle > west Coast

This whole thread

‘Collingwood is bigger than Richmond...aren’t they?!’

no, they’re not.

Smaller in memberships, home ground attendances and oh yes, on field success 😜
Their lame attempts to hire our greatest coach Tom Hafey, adapt our philosophical mindset to success in 2018 and straight up buy out our gun players in the 80s had led to the same amount of flags since the introduction of BLACK AND WHITE TELEVISION That we’ve won in the past 3 years.

I mean really, Collingwood have been trash since 1937, Hitler hadn’t even gotten to power then!! The fact is they’ve won lots of matches, always been in grand finals and provided hope to a bunch of Bogans who are so stupid they think making the grand final is a premiership in itself.

Collingwood used to be the Scar of every season, now they’re one of the dopey hyenas.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back