Being average at best for last 60 years, Why are the Pies so high profile with a high membership?

Remove this Banner Ad

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
You do realise your club was create in a board room whilst Fremantle is rich is WA history ?

fremantle > west Coast

You do realise that we have 4 AFL premierships and Fremantle has 0 right? In the decade from 2010-19 we had our worst decade and Freo had their best. Our worst is still better than Fremantle's best.

You are pulling at straws if you think that post would somehow bother a west coast supporter.

Collingwood has a history of sustained success. Richmond are experiencing their first successful period in a generation.

Richmond deserve credit for pulling themselves out of the gutter but sustained success>>> 3 good years.

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
You are pulling at straws if you think that post would somehow bother a west coast supporter.

Collingwood has a history of sustained success. Richmond are experiencing their first successful period in a generation.

Richmond deserve credit for pulling themselves out of the gutter but sustained success>>> 3 good years.
You speak to any victorian, they’ll tell you the admiration they have of a footy club like Port Adelaide, rich in SANFL history joining the league and the utter disdain for plastic clubs like the giants, suns, crows and eagles.

I mean failed history is still history, and in the absence of any of your own, I suppose you’ll comment on ours 🤷‍♂️

just keep in mind, you can win 100 premierships but st kilda will always mean more, so will fitzroy and footscray, Collingwood, so will Norwood and Port and Fremantle, they’re actual clubs.

Richmond are a football club with 12 AFL premierships, 10 VFL premierships, 2 VFA titles, 9 U19 titles, 1 champion of Australia’s trophy, it goes years and years and years, Football was founded in the suburb of Richmond,

West Coast? Bahah, please, go to Kmart and compare yourself to their $9 toasters.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
This whole thread

‘Collingwood is bigger than Richmond...aren’t they?!’

no, they’re not.

Smaller in memberships, home ground attendances and oh yes, on field success 😜
Their lame attempts to hire our greatest coach Tom Hafey, adapt our philosophical mindset to success in 2018 and straight up buy out our gun players in the 80s had led to the same amount of flags since the introduction of BLACK AND WHITE TELEVISION That we’ve won in the past 3 years.

I mean really, Collingwood have been trash since 1937, Hitler hadn’t even gotten to power then!! The fact is they’ve won lots of matches, always been in grand finals and provided hope to a bunch of Bogans who are so stupid they think making the grand final is a premiership in itself.

Collingwood used to be the Scar of every season, now they’re one of the dopey hyenas.

OMG- You edited your post and found a way to make yourself sound EVEN dumber!

1) Collingwood had more people through the gate than Richmond in 2019.
2) The trade wars in the 80's is what sent Richmond broke and led to the club being a basket case for 30 years up to their eyeballs in debt and firing coaches left and right.
3) Hitler rose to power in Germany in 1933 - WW2 was 1939-1945 you fkin loser
4) You say that they haven't had much success, then go on to say that they won a lot of matches and always in grand finals. That is stupid and undermines your own point
5) 15 Premierships is more than 12.
6) Even if we use AFL era as a cut off Collingwood an Richmond have two AFL premierships each. Collingwood has 4 additional Grand Finals to Richmond's 0 and has played in many more finals series.

Collingwood >>> Richmond

Respect is earned, not demanded. Richmond don't have a track record of sustained success to be considered in the same league as Collingwood and the other true big clubs like Hawthorn and West Coast

Richmond supporters are so dumb.

Last edited:

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
You speak to any victorian, they’ll tell you the admiration they have of a footy club like Port Adelaide, rich in SANFL history joining the league and the utter disdain for plastic clubs like the giants, suns, crows and eagles.

I mean failed history is still history, and in the absence of any of your own, I suppose you’ll comment on ours 🤷‍♂️

just keep in mind, you can win 100 premierships but st kilda will always mean more, so will fitzroy and footscray, Collingwood, so will Norwood and Port and Fremantle, they’re actual clubs.

Richmond are a football club with 12 AFL premierships, 10 VFL premierships, 2 VFA titles, 9 U19 titles, 1 champion of Australia’s trophy, it goes years and years and years, Football was founded in the suburb of Richmond,

West Coast? Bahah, please, go to Kmart and compare yourself to their $9 toasters.

I love our history. When VFL was on it's knees, guess who's entered the comp and provided a pathway to a sustainable business model based on the concept of a national competition?

West Coast.

Guess who our first ever win was against?

Richmond. In our first game. They collapsed from 6 goals up in the last quarter.

We started from nothing and are now one of the biggest and most successful clubs in the league. Running roughshod over teams like you for 30 years.

We have more AFL premierships in the trophy cabinet than you do, so you should smarten up, son.

Last edited:
Richmond flogs realise they were literally nowhere for 35 years, right? You’d think they’d been dominating the league for the past 60 years with all this carry on.

Collingwood should hand out free tickets next season to the last game of the season. No wait, we turn up anyway.

And this crap about copying the game style, go pay Malthouse royalties.

Has their been a more insufferable supporter base after a small taste of success?

I read the thread title, then read your comment, and presume you're saying that this thread should be asking the question about Richmond, not Collingwood. I agree.
The reason that Richmond has such a high profile with such high membership is multifactorial.
It's something that Collingwood would love to, and is desperately trying to emulate.
West Coast, on the other hand, is an extremely successful and high profile invention of Victorian advertising executives. You need to be proud of what you have achieved with the franchise awarded to you. You're self esteem should not be reliant on belittling other clubs just because they're sustained by tradition and culture rather than short term success largely manufactured by the AFL.

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm not disputing those figures but if you compared it to hawks or blose - you'd automatically rate them higher even though similar figures because they've got the flags we don't.

So WHY do we STILL have the highest overall attendances? The mind boggles.

You don’t have the biggest home crowd attendances .Your high attendance relies on those who make up the draw.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I read the thread title, then read your comment, and presume you're saying that this thread should be asking the question about Richmond, not Collingwood. I agree.
The reason that Richmond has such a high profile with such high membership is multifactorial.
It's something that Collingwood would love to, and is desperately trying to emulate.
West Coast, on the other hand, is an extremely successful and high profile invention of Victorian advertising executives. You need to be proud of what you have achieved with the franchise awarded to you. You're self esteem should not be reliant on belittling other clubs just because they're sustained by tradition and culture rather than short term success largely manufactured by the AFL.

Lol- only reason Richmond still exists is our licence fee propped you up.

Get on your knees and say thank you

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
You don’t have the biggest home crowd attendances .Your high attendance relies on those who make up the draw.

So does Richmond.

You had 38K turn up against port.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
The reason that Richmond still exists is because, in our darkest hour, our community rallied in support.

And we donated over $300 000 with our licence fee.

It’s not much to us, but probably the difference between Richmond remaining a club or going bust.

We are kind samaritans.

Always happy to help out the less fortunate.

It’s not much to us, but probably the difference between Richmond remaining a club or going bust.

We are kind samaritans.

If that thought makes you feel less insignificant, sure.
Anyone would feel proud to have helped out the greatest sporting club in the land in it's most desperate hour.
Consider yourself an honorary Tiger. Welcome aboard the train :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond

We are kind samaritans.

That 300k bought your club a history.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
If that thought makes you feel less insignificant, sure.
Anyone would feel proud to have helped out the greatest sporting club in the land in it's most desperate hour.
Consider yourself an honorary Tiger. Welcome aboard the train :thumbsu:

Lol at Someone trying to call the eagles insignificant.

We are an AFL powerhouse. Trying to say anything different is salt personified.

Happy to have played a role in the tigers resurgence, your success is our success

The afl is lucky to have Richmond. Big crowds equals big money. They really should be ignoring Eddie though. Get collingwood to metricon instead. We deserve that 50k crowd at the scg instead :cool:

Your crowds are so big we had more attendees with 1 less game.

Collingwood has propped up this league for decades, your miserable supporters will disappear soon enough once the form drops away again.

Biggest bandwagoners in the league. Flag has proved that.

I’m a proud Richmond supporter, have been since 2017! I sign up for a 3 game membership when we’re a chance for at least a prelim final.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Given the last 60 years has resulted in 7 premierships for the tigers, compared to 2 for the pies ...... you really have struggled to compare, let alone the pies 12 losses compared to the tigers 2 in GF’s.

If you, like pies supporters are happy coming second, good luck with that!! We value premierships more than anything and collecting second place ribbons isn’t regarded as success.

I think your annoyed your own team let you down this year ...... not mine!! YIPPEE.

We have 4 Premierships in the AFL era. Double what Richmond have.

Not only that, but Richmond have 12/12 win loss in Grand Finals, including losing 3 in a row to the Pies.

Lol at Someone trying to call the eagles insignificant.

We are an AFL powerhouse. Trying to say anything different is salt personified.

Happy to have played a role in the tigers resurgence, your success is our success

Sorry about the insignificant bit. I was being flippant
I also felt that your success over Collingwood was ours.
I’m so glad that we can share in each other’s joy.

rado

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
We have 4 Premierships in the AFL era. Double what Richmond have.

Not only that, but Richmond have 12/12 win loss in Grand Finals, including losing 3 in a row to the Pies.
Have you moved away from the Pies to the Eagles now, rather sad!!

The 1920’s are as relevant as west coasts premierships well before an 18 team comp, are you aware of the Argus Finals System ..... apparently not!!

Looks like your team are trailing 2 to 1 on that basis ....... yippee!!

rado

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I’m a proud Richmond supporter, have been since 2017! I sign up for a 3 game membership when we’re a chance for at least a prelim final.
Pot kettle black!!

Attachments

• DE51B35C-B17E-4F5F-8916-C6B2D9FA6639.png
    DE51B35C-B17E-4F5F-8916-C6B2D9FA6639.png
    199.3 KB · Views: 77

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Have you moved away from the Pies to the Eagles now, rather sad!!

The 1920’s are as relevant as west coasts premierships well before an 18 team comp, are you aware of the Argus Finals System ..... apparently not!!

Looks like your team are trailing 2 to 1 on that basis ....... yippee!!

Lol.

No one agrees with your pint of view

4>2 in the AFL era.

Pot kettle black!!

Who said we didn’t offer it?

Offering product != majority of members taking it up

Look how many of your cheapo members turned up for a freebie for last game of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back