Being average at best for last 60 years, Why are the Pies so high profile with a high membership?

Remove this Banner Ad

Your crowds are so big we had more attendees with 1 less game.

Collingwood has propped up this league for decades, your miserable supporters will disappear soon enough once the form drops away again.

Biggest bandwagoners in the league. Flag has proved that.

give us your fixture and we would have had 1.2 mill. When you going to metricon?:cool: One day when your club finishes last your crowds will drop. Stay down for 10 years and you’ll be pretty quiet

Last edited:
Who said we didn’t offer it?

Offering product != majority of members taking it up

Look how many of your cheapo members turned up for a freebie for last game of the season.
Home ground average second place ribbon for the pies!!

Your right, we had just as many turn up at a H&A game than did the pies at a prelim against the giants!!

It would appear your a little touchy about membership numbers ....... look in your own backyard!!

Lol.

No one agrees with your pint of view

4>2 in the AFL era.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
AFL era ...... how far do you want to go back?
Try 18 team comp for starters and I think you’ll find the Eagles trail the almighty tigers and the hawks.

1920’s is a long time ago, unless your in your 90’s it’s a little stretch ....... although the way you post I’m tipping your still in primary school!!

AFL era ...... how far do you want to go back?
Try 18 team comp for starters and I think you’ll find the Eagles trail the almighty tigers and the hawks.

1920’s is a long time ago, unless your in your 90’s it’s a little stretch ....... although the way you post I’m tipping your still in primary school!!

Lol you can’t hide your basket case history that easily.

Must be pretty s**t feeling to know that if all the clubs it was Carlton that broke your club for 35 years.

4>>2

Lol you can’t hide your basket case history that easily.

Must be pretty s**t feeling to know that if all the clubs it was Carlton that broke your club for 35 years.

4>>2

You really are living in a confused State ....... it must really hurt YOU deeply the tigers are KINGS of the jungle!!

Hahahahaha ........ suck it up sister!!

Your right, we had just as many turn up at a H&A game than did the pies at a prelim against the giants!!

When you gave away free tickets? Wowee, what an achievement.

This whole thread

‘Collingwood is bigger than Richmond...aren’t they?!’

Uh no it's not, I'm the op of this thread. Read the question in the op. You cannot possibly correlate this as a gloat about Collingwood thread, this is a question Collingwood's unwarranted profile and member numbers thread.

You don’t have the biggest home crowd attendances .Your high attendance relies on those who make up the draw.

Those who make up the draw exploit the clubs popularity for TV rights and attendances - the club doesn't "rely" on them. Regardless of being bottom or top the Pies among other big vic clubs are given games to maximise those ratings and attendances.

That in turn "relies" on the fans to tune in and turn up and they do - my question is why.

Those who make up the draw exploit the clubs popularity for TV rights and attendances - the club doesn't "rely" on them. Regardless of being bottom or top the Pies among other big vic clubs are given games to maximise those ratings and attendances.

That in turn "relies" on the fans to tune in and turn up and they do - my question is why.

Because the life expectancy of Australians would average around the 70 mark for the last hundred years. Club support is generational. A bit of Daicos thrown in as well
Silly thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you saying Collingwood are basically crap but you still have supporters.

For the last 60 years average at best - just as the title suggests. It's obvious a lot disagree with me by virtue of the club winning just about every other team metric over everyone else except the most important one - including opposition fans from every other club, evidently lots of them. I find that perplexing.

It may make me a hard marker, ok, but surely anyone from outside of the knowledge of AF and it's history would question the undeniable popularity from both media and footy fans alike of this club.

For the last 60 years average at best - just as the title suggests. It's obvious a lot disagree with me by virtue of the club winning just about every other team metric over everyone else except the most important one - including opposition fans from every other club, evidently lots of them. I find that perplexing.

It may make me a hard marker, ok, but surely anyone from outside of the knowledge of AF and it's history would question the undeniable popularity from both media and footy fans alike of this club.

Why do you go for Collingwood and continue going for them? And why will your answer be any different to 80k other people?

Yes you are doing well and a big club. But I think the story for the main board is the Richmond one. People outside the AF and even supporters under 45 must be thinking " where the hell did all this come from " West coast eagles supporters are treating it like a conspiracy theory.

Because the life expectancy of Australians would average around the 70 mark for the last hundred years. Club support is generational. A bit of Daicos thrown in as well
Silly thread.

Life expectancy? Just because club support is generational doesn't make it a "silly thread" - like it's some sort of obvious. "Of course Collingwood have bulk fans and profile".

That is not an obvious answer, 60 years of meh doesn't justify or explain why an army of kids who can barely walk are going to be brainwashed by their families (like I was) to follow this club. (admittedly ALL club faithful do this with their kids)

WHY with such an average premiership history (in that time) does it still attract the profile and members? How is that not perplexing to you?

Life expectancy? Just because club support is generational doesn't make it a "silly thread" - like it's some sort of obvious. "Of course Collingwood have bulk fans and profile".

That is not an obvious answer, 60 years of meh doesn't justify or explain why an army of kids who can barely walk are going to be brainwashed by their families (like I was) to follow this club. (admittedly ALL club faithful do this with their kids)

WHY with such an average premiership history (in that time) does it still attract the profile and members? How is that not perplexing to you?

If I was bit slow on the up take it would.

Why do you go for Collingwood and continue going for them? And why will your answer be any different to 80k other people?

Re read the op, I'm a descendant of a Collingwood captain and was flooded with "Collingwood" from my family the moment they thought I could comprehend.

If they didn't would I have followed? Probably, given the meteoric rise from the 1976 season, by the time I was a teen many years later being teased with so close but so far I was already rusted on.

Yes you are doing well and a big club. But I think the story for the main board is the Richmond one. People outside the AF and even supporters under 45 must be thinking " where the hell did all this come from " West coast eagles supporters are treating it like a conspiracy theory.

The difference being there's always been noise around Collingwood because they've always been there abouts - even in their few years at a time in the wilderness the noise was always about "when are they going to be back?"

With Richmond it's all about recent - even then there's STILL media noise about Collingwood's failure in the last two years.

There is no other club that makes media hysteria as much as the Pies - regardless of whether they're top (near) or bottom.

The difference being there's always been noise around Collingwood because they've always been there abouts - even in their few years at a time in the wilderness the noise was always about "when are they going to be back?"

With Richmond it's all about recent - even then there's STILL media noise about Collingwood's failure in the last two years.

There is no other club that makes media hysteria as much as the Pies - regardless of whether they're top (near) or bottom.

Colliewobbles and 9th mond. When was the last time you completely slipped of map.
Failure ? Grand finalists are news. Losers of grand finals are big news. A team that wins 1 in 7 grand finals is news.

p

This thread could be written regarding Essendon, Carlton or dare I mention Richmond.

Recent history of all three clubs, including Richmond up until the GF of 17 has been poor yet memberships, media coverage and gate attendances have been large when each team faces off.

It’s called latent support, born out of suburban rivalries dating back over 100 years, family team bias, supporting a team to fit in and the draw of supporting a club with rich history and a team that appears popular.

You need not look further than the EPL where in Australia, most that follow the sport choose one of Man U, Liverpool etc ...... not many I know follow Burnley!!

In summary, as a team starts to press for success (plays finals) the teams supporters come from everywhere and anywhere ....... this will happen to Carlton, Essendon and dare I mention it’s happened to Richmond.

I don’t agree with your assertion either that the tigers have somehow only been covered or supported heavily since the GF 17, for a club that hadn’t won a premiership in over 30 years 16 membership was 75k and in 19 Essendon have 80k and Carlton 60k.

Collingwoods ability to choke (or clamp) in big games will always be an attention grabber. Turning that type of failure into videos and celebrating it as heroism actually develops a manly form of vaginal clamping syndrome.

Richmond were just a laughing stock for 37 years. Derided widely, not taken seriously. Winning the flag in 2017 was met with derision and disbelief. There must be something wrong with other teams if Richmond are the best. The same this year. Richmond is a bit like Vietnam, knock out the KR but never getting the credit.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Re read the op, I'm a descendant of a Collingwood captain and was flooded with "Collingwood" from my family the moment they thought I could comprehend.

If they didn't would I have followed? Probably, given the meteoric rise from the 1976 season, by the time I was a teen many years later being teased with so close but so far I was already rusted on.

So family (or friends), like most of us are. I can’t think of too many people who don’t support a team someone in their family or their best mate didn’t go for, or they grew up in the area. By the time you’re old enough to realise you’ve made a mistake you’re rusted on.

When was the last time you completely slipped of map.

I gather you're asking the last time the Pies slipped out of contention? If so that was from 2013 - 2017, in that time the Pies were, as usual all over the media almost as much as the hawks , swans,freo and wc at the time about "whats wrong with?"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back