Being average at best for last 60 years, Why are the Pies so high profile with a high membership?

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I don’t agree with your assertion either that the tigers have somehow only been covered or supported heavily since the GF 17, for a club that hadn’t won a premiership in over 30 years 16 membership was 75k and in 19 Essendon have 80k and Carlton 60k.

The members and supporters were always there but the media spotlight in the wilderness years was not as heavy as it was with the Pies in their lean years. Granted the other "three" ALWAYS have high scrutiny in lean years but not to the same level as the Pies.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
So family (or friends), like most of us are. I can’t think of too many people who don’t support a team someone in their family or their best mate didn’t go for, or they grew up in the area. By the time you’re old enough to realise you’ve made a mistake you’re rusted on.

I can't bring myself to say "mistake" - it's my beloved Pies after all. I can't not love em! Maybe it's a sickness we have.lol

I can't bring myself to say "mistake" - it's my beloved Pies after all. I can't not love em! Maybe it's a sickness we have.lol

Haha yep. Let’s face it, sports fandom is pretty irrational.

rado

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
The members and supporters were always there but the media spotlight in the wilderness years was not as heavy as it was with the Pies in their lean years. Granted the other "three" ALWAYS have high scrutiny in lean years but not to the same level as the Pies.
I think that’s debatable re-the spotlight on the pies in the lean years. Not saying they don’t get the coverage, but one could argue the bombers and blues have been heavily scrutinised and reported on for a host of reasons in recent down years.

I get your point, all I’m saying is the difference in coverage between the 4 big Melb clubs is marginal and one cold argue the media focus on any of the 4 teams not performing is even greater than the success ....... refer today’s herald sun back page and it’s all about the boom recruit for the blues in Edward Scissorhands.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Don
I think that’s debatable re-the spotlight on the pies in the lean years. Not saying they don’t get the coverage, but one could argue the bombers and blues have been heavily scrutinised and reported on for a host of reasons in recent down years.

I get your point, all I’m saying is the difference in coverage between the 4 big Melb clubs is marginal and one cold argue the media focus on any of the 4 teams not performing is even greater than the success ....... refer today’s herald sun back page and it’s all about the boom recruit for the blues in Edward Scissorhands.

Don't get the hun here in Perth, in any case yeah the media spotlight especially over there is high on those 4 clubs (even over here you can't hide from their coverage).

Still there seems to be an intangible about the Pies more so than the others and it seems IMV anyway that they have received more in that 60 years than the others, maybe my perception is slightly overblown but there's no doubt in my mind. Yet the other 3 have more flags in that time than the Pies.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
I thought of posting this on the Pies board but would like opinion from all supporters:

In the last 61 years they've accumulated 3 flags, Hawthorn has 13 from 58 years yet don't have as many members and don't have as a high a profile - certainly from a media perspective.

Arguably this club has the highest profile of all 18 teams and also arguably is the highest profile sporting organization in the whole country.

GF's in 60,64,70,77,79,80,81,90,02,03,10,11,18

That's two wins from 13 attempts - not including 2 draws. Pathetic.

Given their what I would consider not even average performances in that time, why do they hold that profile billing? How is that they have over 85k members? Why do Pies fans stick phat?

From my own perspective my answer is that I'm a descendant of the late great Daniel Minogue, my family adopted Collingwood and stuck phat when he moved clubs after the war. But that puts me and my family in the minority of Pie fans - a drop in the ocean.

So Pie fans and footy followers why is it that this club albeit it's deplorable record have such a high profile, multi million dollar turnover, and a very very large membership and supporter base?
Breeding.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I think this thread pretty well sums it up. The Pies have been quite a failure over rated club yet their fans still think and truly believe they are the biggest club in the country.

I'd say that's a minority and a popular disbelief. Highest profile? Maybe but don't think the belief is the "biggest".

Danger2Jenkins

Knight of the Teutonic Order
Oct 17, 2019
Moe Heights
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Moe Bushrangers
Collingwood are the best team in the comp. When you realize the AFL is more a business than a sporting competition Collingwood clearly win

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Yawn... you have such short memories boy.

I'll make it simple multiple-choice for you, to match your IQ.

When did you get back on the bandwagon?

a) Never really did, I microwaved my membership back in 1983

b) Only anonymously online, cos I was the guy that dumped the chook s**t outside punt rd oval

c) I joined during 2017 Grand final just after 3/4 time, when I knew Adelaide needed to do a Bradbury to get up.
I have 2 young boys, my eldest at 4 years of age has seen as many premierships as a Pies supporter well into his 50’s.
This makes me smile.

Last edited:
I have 2 young boys, my eldest at 4 years of age has seen as many premierships as a Pies supporter well into his 50’s.
This makes me smile.

I’m sure he’ll be thanking you when you go through your next 36 year period of misery and those premierships are nothing but a faint memory, much like your 50 year old supporters until recently.

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
So Pie fans and footy followers why is it that this club albeit it's deplorable record have such a high profile, multi million dollar turnover, and a very very large membership and supporter base?

I hear from a reliable source that Eddie includes the netball memberships when quoting numbers.

ryancash

All Australian
Apr 27, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I’m sure he’ll be thanking you when you go through your next 36 year period of misery and those premierships are nothing but a faint memory, much like your 50 year old supporters until recently.
Nah, I remember 1980 like it were yesterday ;)

ryancash

All Australian
Apr 27, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Yawn... you have such short memories boy.

I'll make it simple multiple-choice for you, to match your IQ.

When did you get back on the bandwagon?

a) Never really did, I microwaved my membership back in 1983

b) Only anonymously online, cos I was the guy that dumped the chook s**t outside punt rd oval

c) I joined during 2017 Grand final just after 3/4 time, when I knew Adelaide needed to do a Bradbury to get up.
This is beyond a yawn. I fell fast asleep after "I'll".

TurnoverMerchant

Vanilla Campaigner
Jul 11, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Measuring who is the most successful club depends mostly on sustained success and supporter numbers. While Richmond have more members than Collingwood currently, this membership rise only occurred just recently. Therefore, Collingwood have a more successful and bigger club than Richmond. Success doesn't come in the short term like all Richmond fans on here think. It comes in the long term and I applaude at how well Collingwood is operated as a club.

Back