Society/Culture Being 'offended' - Australia's favourite pastime?

Are Australians in general too easily offended?

• No - we are laidback as, mate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - although we are getting there

• Yes - but we are getting better

• Yes - and it has always been this way

• Yes - and it seems to be getting worse

• Yes - and it has gotten MUCH worse recently

• I don't know

• Is offence spelt with a 'c' or an 's'?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, it's not open for debate here because this isn't the Customer Service forum.

I'm not sure what's open for debate there. You'd have to ask that moderator. Preferably in their forum.

Sadly, Chief got offended at something I once said in there, so Bigfooty has been forced to struggle along sans my suggestions for over a year now.

I do think some people enjoy, consciously or subconsciously, being offended.

Think about this: What does being offended result in? Generally just the offendee being angry/frustrated etc. The offender often does not give a flying ****.

So people being offended by something really only inconvenience/hurt themselves. Instead of recognising this and thinking "maybe I shouldn't care so much/relax a bit more" they prefer to keep being offended by anything that doesn't fit into their particular view of the world.

This is something that kids who are bullied should learn from a young age to help them through it - being offended by taunts from bullies only serves to further empower the person bullying you. If their words do not affect you, if you let them slide off you like water off the ducks back, the bully has lost their power. I think this can also be expanded to other topics like racism etc, except, in those instances, it is generally not a bully but it is someone trying to guess what might offend someone on the other end of the comment and being offended for them. Noble perhaps? More like making themselves feel better in the (false) knowledge that they are helping to stamp out racism.

One final comment - it is pretty ironic that those people who scream "racist" at every comment with the slightest hint of something that could be twisted into a racist slur are actually the biggest racists of all. For most of us, we make comments with no thought of racism - good examples being the bloke on the train in the GD forum who said he was hungry and wanted some 'tucker', or the politician saying 'pot calling the kettle black' that was mentioned earlier in this thread - the comments were obviously said with no thoughts of racism but it was those who received the comments who saw the racism because thats who they are - racists.

how could you support somebody that makes light of the greatest tragedy in world history!? mods?

Errrrr wot about the hiroshima and nagasaki bombing, wot bout earth quake in china (70s) that buried a whole city, wot about whitemen put black people into slavery wot about the prosecution of the jews etc

Greatest tragedy is overated.

In my opinion; Australians can really dish it out but can't take it.
To be honest I'm just really sick of being surrounded by close-minded dimwits, every second word is a vulgarity, at least 10 times a day there are racist, sexist and homophobic remarks, then people get offended so quickly if you so much as criticize them in the smallest way.
People are stupid in general and I am afraid that may never change.

Yesss yessss, the prime example is the Harbahjan incident. Aus player were using words like bastard, ********, ****ing crap. Harbahjan only used monkey to describe Symond.

The prophet cartoon comes to mind.

I tend to believe that threads likes this are made by people who are young in their adult development and just starting to see the world from outside of their bubble.

So skip (nice condescending post by the way) does that mean that when we get older, we'll start appreciating being offended more? Or is it that us younguns are so wrapped up in our own lives, and now we're starting to realise it's not just about us and what we think, and so if we find something offensive, it doesn't mean it should be banned? I'm confused.

In my opinion; Australians can really dish it out but can't take it.
To be honest I'm just really sick of being surrounded by close-minded dimwits, every second word is a vulgarity, at least 10 times a day there are racist, sexist and homophobic remarks, then people get offended so quickly if you so much as criticize them in the smallest way.
People are stupid in general and I am afraid that may never change.

do you realise you are one of the people that the OP is referring to?

People get offended way too easily these days - but that has been bred into us

We should be teaching our children to laugh in the face of all the "isms" rather than to react with violence or have a cry to some government agency.

do you realise you are one of the people that the OP is referring to?

People get offended way too easily these days - but that has been bred into us

We should be teaching our children to laugh in the face of all the "isms" rather than to react with violence or have a cry to some government agency.
What I'm is saying Australians get offended very easily, but are never slow to dish out offensive comments themselves. To be honest I am not really offended (when I am I try to keep it to myself, talking on this topic is an exception) by the slurs people use, I just don't understand how people can be that narrow minded and prejudice against and to certain groups of people.

Re: Being 'offended' - Australia's favourite pastime?

Mate if you're having a go at Australians get your 'writing' right. Right. Otherwise you look just like another whinger who reflects more on their own inadequacies then whinge about it to the rest of us.

BTY. Aussies don't whinge !

Whingers whinge about whingers.

What I'm is saying Australians get offended very easily, but are never slow to dish out offensive comments themselves. To be honest I am not really offended (when I am I try to keep it to myself, talking on this topic is an exception) by the slurs people use, I just don't understand how people can be that narrow minded and prejudice against and to certain groups of people.

ahh, sorry.

I agree, I don't get why people feel the need to slur, but I also don't get the reason people get so offended by slurs.

being offended is actually quite hilarious if you think about it, you've taken time out your life to get upset about words.

Re: Being 'offended' - Australia's favourite pastime?

Mate if you're having a go at Australians get your 'writing' right. Right. Otherwise you look just like another whinger who reflects more on their own inadequacies then whinge about it to the rest of us.

BTY. Aussies don't whinge !

Whingers whinge about whingers.

don't tell me your offended by the spelling ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry evo, but I only got through four minutes of that before I had to stop it. That guy is as internally conflicted about liberties (and, although 'TJ' doesn't use the term, liberalism) as Malifice.

No sniping. Take it up with me in one of the liberalism threads.

Imagine if one of your family was one of those killed in 911?
Are you completely lacking in any empathy whatsoever?

[YOUTUBE]cpP7b2lUxVE[/YOUTUBE]

Most of the time these days I don't think people are even really offended. They have just been conditioned to think they should be offended and act accordingly.

EDIT: And whether you spell it with a 'c' or an 's' depends on whether you are using it as a verb or a noun. So you might commit an offence. Or perhaps you might take offense.

this :thumbsu:

Back