Current Theo Hayez - Murdered Missing Byron Bay Surrounds

We are learning more about his final night...

Thanks Jack. So they have cctv of him inside Cheeky Monkey? But we're shown footage of him in a bottle shop earlier with someone else.

UPDATE, 3.30pm: STAFF at the nightclub where missing Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez was last seen acted responsibly when asking the 18-year-old to leave the premises, according to police.

Theo was asked to leave Cheeky Monkeys Bar on Jonson St, Byron Bay about 11pm on May 31 because staff believed his level of intoxication was inappropriate.

Tweed Byron Police District detective inspector Matt Kehoe said the staff at Cheeky Monkeys acted appropriately on the night.

"They observed that Theo was exhibiting signs of intoxication, "he said.

"He was very compliant when he left, the staff were very accommodating to him and explained, clearly on the footage, the reasons for why he was leaving. Theo was compliant and accepted their decision and left.

"The footage that shows him leaving doesn't really show him seriously or badly intoxicated from liquor.

Whatsapp has given some data to investigators, I don't know much about how that works but I guess they could provide some details without compromising the core integrity of the system.

Without his phone the only meaningful piece of data that Whatsapp could probably provide is metadata stored on its servers, which is only data about data - not the contents of messages (which would be end-to-end encrypted).

Without his phone the only meaningful piece of data that Whatsapp could probably provide is metadata stored on its servers, which is only data about data - not the contents of messages (which would be end-to-end encrypted).

Thanks, would Whatsapp be able to tell investigators the numbers he was engaging with and when? I suppose his server would know that?

Thanks, would Whatsapp be able to tell investigators the numbers he was engaging with and when? I suppose his server would know that?

Time and who he messaged - definitely.

His location (based on presence or distance from network tower) could also be deduced as well if combined with telco data.

Thanks Jack. So they have cctv of him inside Cheeky Monkey? But we're shown footage of him in a bottle shop earlier with someone else.

UPDATE, 3.30pm: STAFF at the nightclub where missing Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez was last seen acted responsibly when asking the 18-year-old to leave the premises, according to police.

Theo was asked to leave Cheeky Monkeys Bar on Jonson St, Byron Bay about 11pm on May 31 because staff believed his level of intoxication was inappropriate.

Tweed Byron Police District detective inspector Matt Kehoe said the staff at Cheeky Monkeys acted appropriately on the night.

"They observed that Theo was exhibiting signs of intoxication, "he said.

"He was very compliant when he left, the staff were very accommodating to him and explained, clearly on the footage, the reasons for why he was leaving. Theo was compliant and accepted their decision and left.

"The footage that shows him leaving doesn't really show him seriously or badly intoxicated from liquor.
They havent realised the cctv footage of him at the bar though the image below was released. Is that after he left the bar?

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Who gets kicked out of a nightclub in a notorious backpacker town and then essentially say ‘oh no he wasn’t that drunk, he left.’ I’ve been pissed and thrown out of places and you generally have to be unlucky or you’d have to be pretty pissed. I’d say someone feels very bad they’ve told a bouncer about him and to get rid of him. Doubt a bouncer would give a s**t and feel responsible...

The hostel thing is a joke but most are. Generally run by weirdo 40-year old Dutchies still avoiding a normal life or smug 22-year olds wanting free accomodation. Actually doing their job is well below looking ‘cool’ and big noting themselves around good looking girls who check in. Cleaning, kicking out people who steal or root, and keeping an eye on safety is very very low. Hostel’s are scummy places.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Two backpackers went missing off a northern NSW beach in February, I think presumed drowned. Shelly Beach can be a bit rugged, there's a rip but still it seems strange they both got into so much trouble neither made it out.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Surely with the amount of CCTV now they have a rough idea of what his path was, what vehicles entered/exited the town, locals acting weird etc etc.

There seems to be a lot of hotels and shops on the streets in and out so should be footage. If there's no sign of him and all the vehicles entering/exiting add up, he has to be in that pocket or in the sea?

Apparently there's a bit of burnt rubber on a road Theo might have taken, some are suggesting he was hit by a car and his body moved.

Meanwhile, police are back at the lighthouse near where his phone last pinged. I imagine trying to locate the actual phone because a drone should have picked his body up on the slope unless he ran down it and into the ocean which seems to be right out there, even for me.

Iworkthecircus

All Australian
Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
If I was to misadventures it would be my first few nights in the town while you got the new area thrills , any one think people get written off to quick ?

Jul 3, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Heat, Victory, Man Utd, Redskins
I don't feel comfortable with it being written off as misadventure either, although it's possibly the most likely scenario. No phone or clothes left behind, no body, it's a real head scratcher. The idea of hit run and disposal of the body is something that crossed my mind too, but how often does that happen? Maybe we have another Milat? Who knows.

Back