BELIEVE: Fate, Redemption – The Arc of Nathan Buckley and the Collingwood Football Club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Didak_attack

All Australian
Sep 27, 2005
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Hopefully this can get everyone pumped up for an exciting (and hopefully successful finals series)

BELIEVE: Fate, Redemption – The Arc of Nathan Buckley and the Collingwood Football Club.

2018 was no doubt heartbreak, a fairy-tale that didn’t come to fruition, this was brought back to the surface with the doco that aired this week. Until the last goal of the game, it seemed fate that Collingwood and our biggest AFL era player, Nathan Buckley were destined for that redemption. A flag for Bucks, the club back on top and a transformation of our culture. (I can’t believe how many non-Collingwood supporters have felt sympathy for us, highlighted by the letter from the Eagles fan to Bucks.)

Maybe 2018 went as it should. Why should such a short-term change reap such rewards? Ultimately the club and Bucks needed to sustain and continue on this positive transformation, maybe a flag last year would have caused a regression rather than continued progression of our club and coach.

Believe is a perfect slogan for the finals campaign.

This can be coupled with two other terms that potentially line our path. Fate and Redemption.

Fate and Redemption do not by any means refer to solely 12 months ago, but can stretch back to 2002.

Three teams have caused us heartbreak in Grand finals in the AFL era. While we have tasted success in that period, three teams have broken our hearts.

Brisbane, Geelong, West Coast

If there is such thing as Fate and Redemption in this world our finals run will unfold in one of two ways.

Collingwood def. Geelong
Collingwood def. Bris Lions
Collingwood def. West Coast

or

Geelong def. Collingwood
Collingwood def. West Coast
Collingwood def. Bris Lions
Collingwood def. Geelong

Yes there are of course other paths the finals could follow, but if there is such a thing as fate one of these outcomes will be the story of Collingwood’s 2019 Finals campaign.

Believe in the Players
Believe in the Coach
(and entire coaching staff)
Believe in the Club

2019 has potential to be one of the best years in our Clubs history.

I bloody can’t wait to see Bucks standing on that podium holding the premiership cup with our Captain Scott Pendlebury.

Believe.Fate.Redemption.

Believe is a perfect slogan for the finals campaign.
This can be coupled with two other terms that potentially line our path. Fate and Redemption.
Fate and Redemption do not by any means refer to solely 12 months ago, but can stretch back to 2002.
Three teams have caused us heartbreak in Grand finals in the AFL era. While we have tasted success in that period, three teams have broken our hearts.
Yes there are of course other paths the finals could follow, but if there is such a thing as fate one of these outcomes will be the story of Collingwood’s 2019 Finals campaign.
Believe in the Players
Believe in the Coach
(and entire coaching staff)
Believe in the Club
2019 has potential to be one of the best years in our Clubs history.
I bloody can’t wait to see Bucks standing on that podium holding the premiership cup with our Captain Scott Pendlebury.
Believe.Fate.Redemption.
suggest it stretches back to 1964 - fate and redemption apply to and include - 1964, 1966, 1970, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1981, .....
Could we ever live to see another Cwood dynasty???

Retribution.

We beat any of Wet Toast (2018) or Brisvegas (2002, 2003)or Richmond (1980) or Geebung (2011) in the granny it's RETRIBUTION......

Problem with me personally I never see retribution as an outcome in terms of our opponents (retribution for the members of the 22 that share the loss and the win without a doubt)

Unfortunately any grand final loss is an opportunity missed and a wound that cannot be healed. That is no knock on our performances as I believe bee have been gallant in the grand finals we lost to these teams (03 I'm happy to treat softly as Brisbane meant business that day - stepped up a few levels from the qualifying final)

2002 would of no doubt of been one of the biggest, if not the biggest grand final upset in the AFL era

2011 Geelong had our measure in a year we dominated. Unfortunately we were just cooked in the last QTR. For a team that only lost to one side the whole season it's ironic how gallant we were to make the grand final in the first place. That win against hawthorn was the most stressful time ever at a game for me. Even more so than the draw.

2018 - never matched up well on west coast (FK me dead goldsack held up as long as he could in the QF before their big boys did their damage)

Knocked out the arguably most talented list in the comp in the semi.

Executed the game plan to win the match we were given no hope in

Rematch against our worst matchup side, hit them hard early, even responsed when we were just a out done. Only to go down to an excellent set shot.

Nothing will fix those lost opportunities but let's seize a new opportunity and lift the cup in 2019. Beating our previous GF opponents would help ease a few aspects of our history and may pave the way for a new era.

Fingers crossed. Sure the lads will give it all starting with tonight. Tay Adams my pick for our best tonight + our best finals player

This team has no need for redemption, nor the club. Redemption is something people like MM need.

Redemption is mostly to encompass the growth of bucks. It would be redemption for him. As a club, the culture we had developed was not a postivies one as highlighted in the doco, a flag would be symbolic for the redemption of the club after letting our culture go off its path.

Redemption is mostly to encompass the growth of bucks. It would be redemption for him. As a club, the culture we had developed was not a postivies one as highlighted in the doco, a flag would be symbolic for the redemption of the club after letting our culture go off its path.
Redemption is about being saved from sin or cleared from debt. Neither apply to Bucks in my eyes. Eddie might need a bit of that but not totally as a pie, more as a media personality with a motor mouth (god bless him for being human). As a club, yeah, it is a mute point. I suspect we have had cultural problems my entire lifetime. Too much worship, too much media attention. I think Bucks has redeemed us from that, whether he can actually coach or not. I just don't know really, it is a good question around the club.

What about the supporters though? We need some redemption for the sin of believing and expecting we are something special rather than a large group of toothless, mindless cretins with no idea as to what really makes the difference.

What have you been smoking? Talk about KARMIC NIRVANA. Sorry to tell you but all that dribble does not apply to AFL football in 2019.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back