Bell demoted?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bell talks a little about the role here

“But another part I’m really excited about is what we term ‘pro scouting’. That is beefing up our ability to go watch other teams and other players.

“That is something David Walls (Fremantle Head of Player Personnel) and his team have done really well but seeing in an era of increased player movement, we need to enhance our resourcing in that area.

“Trades take – and this might be a surprise to some people – they take years to work through so you need to be doing the work really, really early.

Bell will also push his expertise into new areas with the special projects on his agenda including enhancing Fremantle’s training facility at Cockburn.

“That could be a pretty big project that entails Federal money, State (Government) money, Local Government money, private money to deliver a big outcome for the Club, the community and also obviously from a football perspective,” Bell said.

“That’s something I’m really excited to be doing. I’m going to need some support in that because obviously that’s something that would be new to me. But that’s the philosophy behind this move.”

...and here are the mooted additional changes.

Shuffling the deck chairs and keeping the club insular? Yeah, we've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas. 💀
It's like telling Gene Krupa not to go "boom boom bam bam bam, boom boom bam bam bam, boom boom boom bam ba ba ba ba, da boo boo tss!"

So Valentine becomes the bridge between Freo & Peel to ensure alignment and development goals?

Not bad.

Interesting, if we follow the rest of the league to a national reserves comp.

I think our alignment is one of the few that work. From what I can tell, the relationship towards the end when Ross was in charge wasn't good, but it seems the relationship is much better these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting, if we follow the rest of the league to a national reserves comp.

I think our alignment is one of the few that work. From what I can tell, the relationship towards the end when Ross was in charge wasn't good, but it seems the relationship is much better these days.
You imagine we wouldn't get a choice

More changes from the AFL.com article.

“Fremantle announced a series of internal moves on Friday, with Geoff Valentine appointed head of football operations and development, with development coach Adam Read replacing Valentine as WAFL affiliate Peel Thunder's coach.

The Dockers are now on the hunt for a new development coach, having also promoted football strategy coordinator Harry Garland to stoppages and opposition coach. Bob Murphy will take up a skills coaching role within the AFL program and has relinquished his head of AFLW duties.”

At least Bob has a defined role now and we have a skills coach. Something we should have had in place for the last 6 years.

Garland moving to stoppage coach is a good move in my opinion, Corey seemed out of his depth at times this year with the way opponents were able to get a run on from Centre bounce downs.

More changes from the AFL.com article.

“Fremantle announced a series of internal moves on Friday, with Geoff Valentine appointed head of football operations and development, with development coach Adam Read replacing Valentine as WAFL affiliate Peel Thunder's coach.

The Dockers are now on the hunt for a new development coach, having also promoted football strategy coordinator Harry Garland to stoppages and opposition coach. Bob Murphy will take up a skills coaching role within the AFL program and has relinquished his head of AFLW duties.”

At least Bob has a defined role now and we have a skills coach. Something we should have had in place for the last 6 years.

Garland moving to stoppage coach is a good move in my opinion, Corey seemed out of his depth at times this year with the way opponents were able to get a run on from Centre bounce downs.
We don't want to get to wrapped up in titles. Things can get covered off without having a coach with the title of whatever it might be.

Having said that, giving someone the title might suggest they are seeing it as an area of emphasis (or it could be a nice PR move).

I like the fact they seem to be putting greater focus on the development side of things. Phil Davis gave an interesting insight on Trade Radio about the high degree of resources required to develop talent. That having lots of young talent can really stretch the coaching resources if you want to develop them properly.

It never ceases to amaze me how people can form such strong opinions on things they know so very little about.

How would I know if Bell is doing a good job?
People don't even know what his job is, or what decisions he makes!

'Often wrong but never in doubt'

The internet in a nutshell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back