Bell demoted?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheeseman might let the coaches do the coaching, and players do the playing a bit more, with a bit less coaching from the sidelines and meddling if that was the issue
Cheeseman. Love it.🤣

Yes it seemed from the footage I saw of Longmuir's first year as head coach (as shown in the AFL's 'Making Their Mark' documentary on Amazon) that Peter Bell was co-coaching and co-selecting along with Longmuir. Now maybe that was just the extraordinary nature of Covid-hub life in Queensland in 2021, but it could also have become the norm' after that. A precedent was set that might have seen Bell having too much sway over coaching decisions?

I am none the wiser as to what the move means.
There is so much angst from supporters toward Bell. Is it real or imagined.
With so much seemingly coming from members and supporters against Bell and how the club is run, is it time for an external review done on the club.
Is the club becoming , as many call it The Boys Club?
Or maybe as one great coach once said, nothing is ever as bad as it seems, or as good as it appears.

I think a fair few here have misunderstood the club’s statement.

Big Animal got it though: this gives Peter Bell more focus and more power over player recruitment and retention.

Once he had responsibility for the coach, the performance staff and the list manager.

Now P.Bell can focus in on “list management” and some yet-to-be-disclosed “project”.

its a sideways move, both EGM roles. You rarely move sideways unless there is a fire to put out elsewhere. On the surface it appears he has been moved into a less critical role for the club.
Don’t agree that it is less critical, it is a strategic role versus an operational role from the sounds of it.

Do agree it could well be some fire fighting to focus more on the exodus and putting the brakes on it, but also potentially we aren’t getting enough from our academy compared to the Qld and nsw clubs (which do have advantages)

This whole just shows us Jlo will most likely get another year before the season starts.

If one domino goes they go. Hence they are looking after each other.
Exactly. Signing him up again will go down like a lead balloon.

I’d suggest it involves him having less of a role telling coaches and players how to go about their business.

Seems like made up role to move him away from the coalface a little.

Not sure how I feel about it. Not sure if I have an opinion either way. A bit meh this move.

No strong opinions either way but it’s clear to me from the statement Bell will have a more focused role in recruitment and list management and talent identification. Is he going to to be the one with the final call on draft picks ahead or Walls now?
Does walls even get the final call, or has he up to now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sounds like he is good at self promotion at least because how else would people know those clubs had a chat to him.

And also how does a guy from Geelong know how good a guy at Fremantle is anyway.
I’m not even sure what point you’re trying to get across.

AFL circles are pretty small, it’s like saying how does a club know that another assistant coach from another club is any good.

To me it feels like you are amongst a group of supporters who take satisfaction in being annoyed at the club.

It’s okay to admit that sometimes the club can make a good decision. It’s okay to be frustrated with the club but you also have to enjoy the positives. Stop trying to pander to the outside noise and maybe try finding some enjoyment in the Fremantle football club.

Say what you want about the Steve’s but they looked beyond. New logo, Playing kits, song was on the agenda and new training facility.

Lloyd brothers, Kirk, Suma 🤔 and obviously RTB all poached.

You might not agree with what happened above but they wanted us to become a bigger club. Successful club.

We have become a very small club. Boys club. The new footy manager had to be someone from the outside.

So Simon Garlick is part of the Freo mates club?

You are a tripper

I think a fair few here have misunderstood the club’s statement.

Big Animal got it though: this gives Peter Bell more focus and more power over player recruitment and retention.

Once he had responsibility for the coach, the performance staff and the list manager.

Now P.Bell can focus in on “list management” and some yet-to-be-disclosed “project”.
Hope that is not the case Bell would make the perfect replacement for Nesbit

Looking at it, I assume that they’ve taken some of Bells power away by promoting him, which is a positive.

Bell will still have a say in everything he’s done before, from contracts to drafting & perhaps even the final say, but not the complete say on behalf of the club.

It looks like they’ll have another voice bringing in different views to Bell, for Bell to discuss & ok. This is a good thing.

Also, perhaps the relationship between Colin Young & Bell is passed the point of no return & bringing in Brierty might help with club/manager discussions.

this feels like multiple moving parts here.

we have a talented operator in joe brierty we wanna keep. he wants a greater role.
bell has ambitions, has heaps of footy experience but little in other areas i imagine.
garlic probs wants to reshuffle bells role to help coaches (if rumours are to be true). also perhaps to view the actual competency of longmuir.
longmuir maybe wants to reshuffle.
the board would be suspicious after the year, the walkouts and the media attention on bell. so i imagine the put in an inquest to find out whats going on and improve.

I am none the wiser as to what the move means.
There is so much angst from supporters toward Bell. Is it real or imagined.
With so much seemingly coming from members and supporters against Bell and how the club is run, is it time for an external review done on the club.
Is the club becoming , as many call it The Boys Club?
Or maybe as one great coach once said, nothing is ever as bad as it seems, or as good as it appears.
You would swear Peter Bell played 150 games for West Coast the vitriol he gets here.

I think we forget he was a club captain and a great player in his own right.

Does it make him a great GM of footy not necessarily.

Deserves a bit more respect at least. Even if he has made some unpopular decisions.

If we won the 2013 premiership he would have been giving Pav the Premiership cup to hold up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back