Bell demoted?

Remove this Banner Ad

You would swear Peter Bell played 150 games for West Coast the vitriol he gets here.

I think we forget he was a club captain and a great player in his own right.

Does it make him a great GM of footy not necessarily.

Deserves a bit more respect at least. Even if he has made some unpopular decisions.

If we won the 2013 premiership he would have been giving Pav the Premiership cup to hold up.
Clive should of carried the cup in 2013.

You would swear Peter Bell played 150 games for West Coast the vitriol he gets here.

Deserves a bit more respect at least. Even if he has made some unpopular decisions.

If we won the 2013 premiership he would have been giving Pav the Premiership cup to hold up.
There can be no doubt in anyone's eyes bell wants freo to succeed.
That's what hurts me the most, he is not very good at what he does 😭

This job title honestly sounds made up. The main thing I will be looking for is Bell to be nowhere near the coaches box and QT/3QT huddles. If he is still in there, he will still be meddling in areas he should not be involved.

I’ve heard players mention Joe before and saying that he is an awesome operator (at what I am not sure)

this feels like multiple moving parts here.

we have a talented operator in joe brierty we wanna keep. he wants a greater role.
bell has ambitions, has heaps of footy experience but little in other areas i imagine.
garlic probs wants to reshuffle bells role to help coaches (if rumours are to be true). also perhaps to view the actual competency of longmuir.
longmuir maybe wants to reshuffle.
the board would be suspicious after the year, the walkouts and the media attention on bell. so i imagine the put in an inquest to find out whats going on and improve.
Lol, the 'walkouts'. Get a grip, one guy wants fashion hoopla and the other is from Victoria, has an apparently legit reason to go back and the Pies got in his ear.
Here's what the summary should be: We have a YOUNG list and it's a bit of a roller-coaster (this is historically proven). The club does not want to lose Joe Brierty so have promoted him. Bell is moved to "special projects" which is code for "You get to see out your contract". These moves say more about Garlick and what he thinks is necessary for the club to get better.

I am in no way denigrating Peter Bell, but with so much what seems like ground swell from outside maybe there is a need to open up on just what this move means.
I think he has been very good for the club.

It never ceases to amaze me how people can form such strong opinions on things they know so very little about.

How would I know if Bell is doing a good job?
People don't even know what his job is, or what decisions he makes!

Club just plays musical chairs and can't look past the contacts on their phone.

Just promote Joel Corey guys, just promote Joe Brierty, just promote Lisa Webb.

Club probably has a hard-on for Barlow already and watch Corbett become the forwards coach when Graham *s off.

Just where does this nebulous, outside the reporting line, role sit with respect to the soft cap?
It would be bonkers to have two full footybosses wages eating into it for any significant length of time.

Executive people’s wages are outside the cap

Football Department is capped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And how do you know that!!
Th guy bled purple before it was a colour.
He had a news article pumping up a new team that they were proposing pinned up in his bedroom as a kid. He used it to pump him to train everyday.
Then we pissed him off after 1 year. He came back after winning a premiership at North. It's unfinished business. He is not in it for the laughs 🤣

I love this move tbh. I think Bell is being groomed for CEO role post Garlick. I’ve heard Bell mention Brierty a number of times so believe there’s mutual respect. After 2023 was sub-par am glad there’s change and movement in the football department.
I rarely compare to Eagles, actually respect them commercially, but our change reflects a club who is willing to review and change.

No other club globally would accept finishing wooden spoon without making some change. Eagles have changed their Sports science guy. Every eagles supporter I know is backing Simmo, Nisbett …. no one is calling for change.

Fair they have the comfort of premierships, but think there’s only two ways this goes. Premiership in 2028 or a significant reset which will last longer than the “boomers” patience. Could get very ugly very quickly. Favourite son declining a CEO role of the richest club in Australia already has sirens sounding for me.

Th guy bled purple before it was a colour.
He had a news article pumping up a new team that they were proposing pinned up in his bedroom as a kid. He used it to pump him to train everyday.
Then we pissed him off after 1 year. He came back after winning a premiership at North. It's unfinished business. He is not in it for the laughs

Yep.

Being brutally honest he should’ve went to West Coast. He would’ve been their highest paid player and would definitely have at least 1 premiership.

Or he could’ve stayed at North. Captained the club after Carey got caught in that toilet. People forget that Bell won North’s B&F the year he decided to leave and join Freo. He was in his absolute prime. .

Freo treated him like s**t and he still came back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did sometimes wonder if it might be have been awkward for Longmuir having Bell on the boundary line and out in the huddles with the players at breaks - just because Bell was Longmuir's captain.

If that was ever an issue though, I think Bell would be smart enough to know it and give the coach the free reign.

I always like Peter Bell too, despite all this criticism, if only because when he played for us as captain- the number of bad games he played - I was going to say you could count on one hand - but you wouldn't have to go to toes. We might not have had the greatest midfield mix in his era but he ran around like a wind up toy every week.

It was a mystery of nature how he'd start behind some rangy long striding opponent and his little legs would pump twice as fast to get to the contest first.

In his last season we were eliminated from a final.
Living in Geraldton it looked like on the Sunday his missus had told him to stop being a miserable prick and take the kids to the foreshore.
He was sitting at the end of the play tunnel, all alone, lost in thought, staring off into the abbis 😭

Cue The West:

"Peter Bell not supervising his children in dangerous beach conditions. Cast your vote in our poll. Is Peter Bell a bad parent? Options: Always, Often, Most of the time."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back