Traded Bella Smith (2021-2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Academy Product Bella Smith Joins The Den

210311_AFLW_Draft_Article_Header_Bella.jpg

Another ray of Sunshine has joined the Lions with Maroochydore’s Bella Smith selected as Pick No.35 in the 2021 NAB AFLW Draft.

The 17-year-old midfielder joins a growing crop of talented Sunshine Coasters to make their mark in the big league, with AFLW Premiership players Belle Dawes, Lily Postlethwaite and Shannon Campbell also beginning their football careers on the Coast.

A key figure in the Maroochydore Roos QAFLW season, Smith has spent the 2021 season honing her footy skills in the Hyundai Help for Kids Lions Academy and the NAB AFL Women’s Academy.

In Queensland’s U19 match-up against Country Victoria earlier this year Smith impressed with her consistent work in the midfield gathering 14 disposals and five marks.

Her talent around the contest is something that AFLW Head Coach Craig Starcevich is looking forward to adding to the AFLW Premiership side.

“Bella has had her eye on this day for many years, I think,” Starcevich said.

“Always a talented junior, this season she has shown the initiative and professionalism to do extra work to improve, traits that will serve her well in AFLW.

I’m looking forward to adding her clean ball winning and composed decision making to our midfield group.”

Smith Finds Silver Linings in Heartbreaking Injury

bella-s.png

Brisbane Lions AFLW youngster Bella Smith injured her ACL in August 2022, forcing her to switch her focus from football to rehabilitation.

The 19-year-old midfielder believes that despite being sidelined with her knee injury for the best part of 12 months, it might have in fact made her a better player.

“I’m feeling good, fitter and stronger, I guess that’s the perks of rehab,” Smith joked.

“There are silver linings, 100per cent, as unfortunate as it was, I got to work on a lot of things that I haven’t got to in the past.

“The physical side of it just spending so much time in the gym, it was a weakness of mine whereas now I’ve become much better in there and then my fitness as improved as well.

“The mental side of it being resilient and learning how your body works and knowing the limits of your body, I have such as better understanding of my body as well.”

Smith’s mentality has been an area which she has worked closely on with friend, teammate and housemate, Lily Postlethwaite.

Postlethwaite joined Smith in rehab after also injuring her ACL, and Smith is incredibly thankful for having someone there with her.

“It was hard at times because we are two different people so when she is having an off week, I might be having a good week and it can be a bit up and down,” she explained.

“But through that time, it was nice to bounce off each other and have someone to talk through it with and that can relate to what you’re going through.

“So being able to ask question and get that assurance that what I was going through I wasn’t alone and obviously she has been through the process before, so it was very helpful.

“Especially living with her, it helped me so much, I don’t know if I would’ve been able to do it without her.”

The second year Criminology and Criminal Justice student is currently in the middle of a gruelling pre-season with her Brisbane Lions AFLW teammates.

And with round one almost in sight, Smith is beginning to build her contact loads at uni and knows the hard work is just starting.

“It has been really good, everyone is a part of everything so you’re in it together,” she said.

“We get put through some gruesome sessions from Greeny (Matt Green, Physical Performance Manager) but so far it’s been tough but good.”

The 2023 NAB AFLW Season kicks off on September 3, with the Lions to tackle Richmond at Brighton Homes Arena.

Team Announcement: Bella’s Debut Headlines Two Changes for Lions

The Brisbane Lions have made two changes ahead of their clash with St Kilda in Melbourne on Saturday.

Bella Smith will make her long awaited debut, replacing Cathy Svarc who is unavailable due to illness.

Smith, who joined the Lions in 2021 from Maroochydore, will play her first AFLW game following a successful comeback from an ACL injury which cut her year short in 2022.

Eagles pair Land at Lions Den

To complete the trade for the Eagles pair the Lions sent pick 24 to West Coast, while trading young Lion Bella Smith along with pick 32 and pick 41 to the Geelong Cats.
“It’s sad to see Bella and Ella go, but we wish them all the best in their next chapter,” Brock said.

“Ella’s been such a professional throughout our program, coming from a high-level rowing background.

“She had really elite habits from the get-go and has been a really popular member of our group.

“And Bella has been a great teammate, always helping others and shows a lot of care, which will hold her in good stead at her new club.

“A real highlight this year was her debut game in Rd 9 and great reward for all her hard work returning from an ACL injury, we wish her all the best.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back