MMA-Other Bellator MMA

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how old they are but onehd shows old cards on a Saturday night

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone uploaded the fight onto YouTube. I've only ever watched bits and pieces of bellator before. One thing I was surprised about was seeing John Mccarthy reffing the fight. I didn't know he could do that. I just guessed all the refs worked exclusively for the UFC

Officially, referee assignments are done by the athletic commissions and aren't handled by the promoters at all. That said, I recall that McCarthy only refereed UFC fights up until the end of 2007 when he briefly retired, then while he was in retirement he ended up on their bad side for doing commentary with another promotion and UFC used their influence in Nevada to stop him from getting a new referee license for several years.

That KO by Daley was ridiculous. Created space with a spinning elbow that landed, then followed it up with a flying knee. That's some crazy violent s**t.

Ward's face got wrecked:

I see people calling the Sonnen/Ortiz fight a work. I don't see it. Why have Ortiz win when he's retiring and Sonnen isn't? Plus, this fight went pretty much the same way Sonnen's fights have gone since he fought Silva a 2nd time, including in that fight. When it's not going his way he folds quickly. It happened against Silva and Jones and very clearly against Evans. Now it's happened against Ortiz. Also, Sonnen's been submitted plenty of times.

I didn't really know what to expect from this fight. I did see a number of people confident that Sonnen would win. I certainly wasn't. Sonnen's wrestling at 205 has never translated the way it did at 185. Ortiz is still a decent wrestler and is pretty underrated as a submission grappler in MMA. Sonnen tried going for some chokes and that wasn't the smartest decision. Sonnen's at his best when he gets a stable control position and throws some ground and pound. Once Ortiz got top control he ran through Sonnen.

I don't have any problem with Ortiz holding the choke as long as he did either. It wasn't long enough to really do any harm. Sonnen's also a noted fake tapper, so it was better for Ortiz to be safe than sorry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back