Bellend Barrett’s clarko agenda?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what confuses me. At a time when I would imagine the AFL needs as much self promotion as possible, what purpose does it serve to trash one of the great coaches? The media has always had this propensity to bite the hand that feeds them, but now we know the AFL owns most of these guys, I just cannot see any sanity in their approach.

It's all about control. It's like cancel culture.

You have a coach (and a president) of a club who are not afraid to comment on the poor spectacle of the game and the inconsistency of umpiring.

It might be true. It might be a majority opinion, but that doesn't matter.

If you can't (or don't want to) fix the problem, they you just discredit the person who made the comments.

It's a symptom of the modern world. Power and image is more important than truth.

"Clarko is a sook".
"If you boo Adam Goodes you must be racist".
Essendon were "so brave".
Etc.

Barrett sold his soul to be on the "inside". He has a platform. Clarko is his target. The AFL like what Barrett says more than what Clarko says, so they let it go.

Let's just hope BigFooty never tries to censor the opinions they deem inconvenient.

Let's just hope BigFooty never tries to censor the opinions they deem inconvenient.
I was about to say "you must be new here" then I saw your 2005 joindate? :think:

It’s a shame, because for a while Damo was genuinely (in my opinion) one of the better newsbreakers.
His opinion pieces however are so bad. Did anyone read the sliding doors about port Adelaide forming a band?
Was honestly the most cringe thing I’ve ever read

I just went and read it. Thanks for ruining my day ... :sweatsmile:

This is what confuses me. At a time when I would imagine the AFL needs as much self promotion as possible, what purpose does it serve to trash one of the great coaches? The media has always had this propensity to bite the hand that feeds them, but now we know the AFL owns most of these guys, I just cannot see any sanity in their approach.

You think Gil cares more about the AFL than his ego?

Clarko has embarrassed him too many times.

It’s a shame, because for a while Damo was genuinely (in my opinion) one of the better newsbreakers.
His opinion pieces however are so bad. Did anyone read the sliding doors about port Adelaide forming a band?
Was honestly the most cringe thing I’ve ever read

Agree, for a while there he was one of the top footy journos. But in the last few years has really lost his way, and can't set aside personal vendettas from his work.

I've listened to his podcast with Hutchy, and even Hutchy takes the pi*s out of him most weeks for his pettyness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a crack again today about Hawthorn keeping Burgoyne and that certain former players are upset that weren't given the opportunity to keep going
Lol. Barret has no clue. Who could possibly be upset? No former player would ever begrudge Burgoyne for getting a one year extension, because one year extensions are literally what they’ve been doing for their older brigade since forever. That, and unlike Barret, not everyone’s that petty.

Plus, Burgoyne is still playing at a high AFL level and is simply a good clubman to keep around to mentor the kids. Runners functionally don’t exist anymore and experienced, cool heads are worth more now as a result. Plus, I thought it was very good of the club to reward Burgoyne’s loyalty when he had the very real opportunity to go to the Gold Coast for more guaranteed years and more money. I mean, it’s more-so a reward for still playing good football and being a good mentor - but the sentiment is nice.

Lol. Barret has no clue. Who could possibly be upset? No former player would ever begrudge Burgoyne for getting a one year extension, because one year extensions are literally what they’ve been doing for their older brigade since forever. That, and unlike Barret, not everyone’s that petty.

Plus, Burgoyne is still playing at a high AFL level and is simply a good clubman to keep around to mentor the kids. Runners functionally don’t exist anymore and experienced, cool heads are worth more now as a result. Plus, I thought it was very good of the club to reward Burgoyne’s loyalty when he had the very real opportunity to go to the Gold Coast for more guaranteed years and more money. I mean, it’s more-so a reward for still playing good football and being a good mentor - but the sentiment is nice.
I can think of one who seems to have held a grudge against the club since he left and is now in the media

I can think of one who seems to have held a grudge against the club since he left and is now in the media
tbf Lewis was annoyed by the Hawks one minute telling him to explore his options and then the next minute realising they had the cap space to fit him in, then offering him a one year extension while the Dees were flat out offering him more. It wasn’t neatly handled by Graham Wright at the time and I think if GW had his time again he’d do it differently. Think Lewis had dreams of being Hawk’s captain after Hodge, too. But, honestly, Barret isn’t getting his info from Lewis - Lewis wouldn’t begrudge Burgoyne for getting a one year extension. No player (former or otherwise) would.

tbf Lewis was annoyed by the Hawks one minute telling him to explore his options and then the next minute realising they had the cap space to fit him in, then offering him a one year extension while the Dees were flat out offering him more. It wasn’t neatly handled by Graham Wright at the time and I think if GW had his time again he’d do it differently. Think Lewis had dreams of being Hawk’s captain after Hodge, too. But, honestly, Barret isn’t getting his info from Lewis - Lewis wouldn’t begrudge Burgoyne for getting a one year extension. No player (former or otherwise) would.
I think that is the best summary of the Lewis situation I’ve ever read. I’m gonna screen shot that for later use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back