List Mgmt. Ben Amarfio - has resigned as our CEO - Thank you Ben

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Putting aside the altruistic worth of the Huddle, my interest is in what selfish measures the club planned for how this program might funnel into more North support.

Was it just osmosis, ie kids being around North Melbourne facilities, staff or players? Or handing out free tickets? Or was there a more strategic plan?

Repeat - this is not about the merits of the Huddle or of the club engaging in community programs. It's purely of how much this pursuit can parlay into any increase in club support.
From a total outside perspective I see Huddle as a way to have the players do their standard school visits and volunteer work whist the government foots the bill for running the program (they paid huddle over 112k last year)
It's also funded by Scanlon, so in not sure how much cost is actually involved in the running of it from the club purse. The fact that its paid for by state government and local councils and that it's branded nmfc work makes me think the strongest benefit it offers is not community engagement which we would be doing anyway, but making it so that the council and lawmakers are on side with us being a club and community hub on Arden street.

One thing I'd like to see investigated in the medium/long term is the establishment of a 15-20K boutique stadium at Arden Street.

With the new station under construction and the influx new residents that will be coming into the area I see it as a real opportunity to future proof our place in the AFL.

Would mean we're no longer at the mercy of the AFL re stadium deal at whatever we decide to call docklands and push hard for some of our larger drawing home games at the G.

One thing I'd like to see investigated in the medium/long term is the establishment of a 15-20K boutique stadium at Arden Street.

With the new station under construction and the influx new residents that will be coming into the area I see it as a real opportunity to future proof our place in the AFL.

Would mean we're no longer at the mercy of the AFL re stadium deal at whatever we decide to call docklands and push hard for some of our larger drawing home games at the G.

Gotta think big.

Narratives shift so quickly in today’s corporo-political world you don’t know what could be on the cards.

Go back and look at footage of anything in Melbourne from 20+ years ago and tell me that anybody predicted the infostructure etc. that’s in place now (for better OR worse).

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

It's pretty much impossible now to build a stadium at our home ground.
We'd have to demolish the pools and rec center, buy out the hardware shop to expand the ground, deal with noise restrictions and have to work around 2 main roads with new buildings on both sides.and we would still need more room for parking.
Take a look at Vic park, whitten oval or princes park they all have a lot more space than we have around them. It's unfortunate because I'd love to have a footy ground to watch games at 2 mins away from my place, but I can't see it working

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne

x1000

The predicted growth in the area and train station. It seems a no-brainer.

My worry is politicians seeing $$$ and deciding to put more apartments up and a small park for the locals. Then North's gets offered some $$$ to ship their training facilities elsewhere like what we've seen with other teams.

It's pretty much impossible now to build a stadium at our home ground.
We'd have to demolish the pools and rec center, buy out the hardware shop to expand the ground, deal with noise restrictions and have to work around 2 main roads with new buildings on both sides.and we would still need more room for parking.
Take a look at Vic park, whitten oval or princes park they all have a lot more space than we have around them. It's unfortunate because I'd love to have a footy ground to watch games at 2 mins away from my place, but I can't see it working
Of course there will be challenges.

As for parking that seems to be 20th century thinking. We should be looking at a smaller 21st century state of the art facility. We shouldn't want people coming by car we should be wanting people to walk from the local area or utilise the public transport infrastructure that is being put in place in the area. Vehicle access should be limited to service vehicles only.

From a total outside perspective I see Huddle as a way to have the players do their standard school visits and volunteer work whist the government foots the bill for running the program (they paid huddle over 112k last year)
It's also funded by Scanlon, so in not sure how much cost is actually involved in the running of it from the club purse. The fact that its paid for by state government and local councils and that it's branded nmfc work makes me think the strongest benefit it offers is not community engagement which we would be doing anyway, but making it so that the council and lawmakers are on side with us being a club and community hub on Arden street.
I would say that the Huddle serves multiple purposes and I support it's targeted expansion (if possible) if it meant that it helped us grow the club. I.E. Public funding, members, etc.... There needs to be some discussion about the merits of expansion or preparing for the day that public funding is withdrawn for whatever reason.

Last edited:
It's come up before, but I'm still curious why no club has gone all-in trying to be the Indian migrant's team of choice.

You are talking predominately middle class, white collar educated people who already have a national obsession with sport and enjoy active involvement in their pursuits. Many are likely to improve in spending power and social status in the years after their arrival and will pass on their allegiance to their kids.

It beggars belief why you wouldn't exploit the Ponting factor, see which Bollywood stars require the least $ to put on a Hypertec Canterbury top and try a few drop punts to post on all social channels and work it over.

Hell, stump up the cash to get Kohli and Sachin to do a training session at Arden Street and we can probably buy ourselves out of Hobart.
Yeah nah. I reckon we've already found the sweet spot when it comes to locking up non traditional supporter bases. We've got the highly lucrative French tennis fan market sewn up.
tennis-player-jo-wilfried-tsonga-of-4888-diaporama.jpg

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

As for parking that seems to be 20th century thinking. We should be looking at a smaller 21st century state of the art facility. We shouldn't want people coming by car we should be wanting people to walk from the local area or utilise the public transport infrastructure that is being put in place in the area. Vehicle access should be limited to service vehicles only.
If they can do this with a 60,000 seat stadium in Perth, they can surely do it with a 15-20,000 seater in North Melbourne.

Problem is the AFL owns Docklands so it's not in their interests to have a venue in competition with itself for some of those lower-drawing games. There are also enormous economies of scale from having the broadcast media set-up in place for two to three games per week all season, rather than maybe one a week at Arden Street. Corporate facilities would still need to be first-class - the bigwigs won't want to slum it with the rest of us - and the costs keep on rising, all for 15-20 games per year, max.

I love the idea, but it's a longshot.

If they can do this with a 60,000 seat stadium in Perth, they can surely do it with a 15-20,000 seater in North Melbourne.

Problem is the AFL owns Docklands so it's not in their interests to have a venue in competition with itself for some of those lower-drawing games. There are also enormous economies of scale from having the broadcast media set-up in place for two to three games per week all season, rather than maybe one a week at Arden Street. Corporate facilities would still need to be first-class - the bigwigs won't want to slum it with the rest of us - and the costs keep on rising, all for 15-20 games per year, max.

Unless we have an oil sheik or a billionaire to back the funding, I don't see it realistically happening in the next 10-15 years.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne

4k quality on gopros + gimbal accessory.

Hand out 20 of those to big footy posters and set up in strategic locations. Can't be that hard. We could do a half-day training session with Rob and Heath.

Shinboner cast. * the AFL. Make it happen Amarfio.

If it can work for Geelong it could work for us. I'm not for one second suggesting it would be easy but it's definitely something worth investigating and seeing if it's possible and if the business case stacks up. I'd guess some injection of government money would be required but surely there are sports and infrastructure funds available somewhere if you know who's shoulder to discretely tap.

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Best way to get it running would be as a multi purpose area with maybe one of the a-league clubs, if it happened it would be a very big commitment from State govt, or some private investors, which is where the soccer comes in.
4k quality on gopros + gimbal accessory.

Hand out 20 of those to big footy posters and set up in strategic locations. Can't be that hard. We could do a half-day training session with Rob and Heath.

Shinboner cast. fu** the AFL. Make it happen Amarfio.
Like that beastie boys DVD from Madison square gardens, hell yeah

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Best way to get it running would be as a multi purpose area with maybe one of the a-league clubs, if it happened it would be a very big commitment from State govt, or some private investors, which is where the soccer comes in.

You do realise that the two Melbourne A-League clubs share a purpose built rectangular stadium already right? Why would they move to something that isn't built for their purpose?

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You do realise that the two Melbourne A-League clubs share a purpose built rectangular stadium already right? Why would they move to something that isn't built for their purpose?
Im well aware, if you read my earlier posts I did say it would be unlikely.
But if we want a private botique stadium we would need to find a way to have it co financed with another tenant.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Where's the shooshka?

...........and the parking?

If the Scanlon's want to front that (and believe me they have the coin), then I will work for "the Huddle" for free for the rest of my life!!!

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Get in Melbourne City’s ear and tell em to get on board with a joint admin and training centre.

They currently operate out of Latrobe uni in Bundoora.

GOOD idea.

Get in RMIT/Swinburne/UOM ‘s ears and ask if they’d be interested in setting up a new sports science / management building with direct access to an AFL/AFLW/VFL club.

Hell no!!!

The last thing we need is more grievance studies professionals using the club for their own delusional purposes. There'd be no room for the players due to all the safe spaces that would be required for that lot.

Where's the shooshka?

...........and the parking?

If the Scanlon's want to front that (and believe me they have the coin), then I will work for "the Huddle" for free for the rest of my life!!!

I'm going to be volunteering there this year, be good to have you along mate.

I've attached the thing you need to fill in first.

Attachments

• The Huddle - Volunteer EOI.pdf
    235.2 KB · Views: 72
Back