Ben Brown run up rule?

He gets 40-45 seconds from the time he is paid the free or takes the mark until the time the ball leaves his boot for the shot.

I was under the impression it's play on as soon as it reaches 30 seconds?

Can somebody please help me understand this?

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
He gets 40-45 seconds from the time he is paid the free or takes the mark until the time the ball leaves his boot for the shot.

I was under the impression it's play on as soon as it reaches 30 seconds?

Can somebody please help me understand this?

You don't understand the rules then.

You have 30 seconds to start your run up.

FlyHigh18

Arden St Parking Inspector
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Starts his run before 30 seconds. Takes an extra ~30m than most other players, which adds about 5 seconds to the normal run up.
(If it takes you a minute to run 30m then you probably should get yourself checked out).

He averages 3 run ups per game so he's using up a whopping 15 seconds of game time in total!
Atrocious, deserves it's own thread :rolleyes:

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
"play on" should be called at 30 seconds, that's plenty of time to get a kick away. If you want a run up the length of a runway, you can do it but you are going to eat in to your allotted time, if you want to pull up your socks, tighten your garters, turn around 3 times widdershins while sprinkling chicken blood, do what you have to do. Too bad after 30 seconds if opposition players tackle you - or you get a htb call, that's on your head for frigging around.

I agree that it takes too long. Matthew Lloyd also had a routine that took time. But both of these guys are accurate kicks. I'd rather see more goals than behinds kicked (with the full back kicking out into congestion).

Set shots at goal should be a bit like a free throw in basketball - the clock could be stopped until the ball is actually kicked. The rule of 30s was brought in to stop time wasting in close games (see Mason Wood), not to speed the game up.

In the interpretation of the rules, a player marking the ball on the forward line for a set shot can start his run up from the backline, and still have taken the kick in regulation time so long as the run started within 30 seconds of his mark.

Probably should be amended to have players taken their kick, but he’s not breaking any rules in the current state of play.

Spuddigger

Senior List
Oct 19, 2018
Australind WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur.
In the interpretation of the rules, a player marking the ball on the forward line for a set shot can start his run up from the backline, and still have taken the kick in regulation time so long as the run started within 30 seconds of his mark.

Probably should be amended to have players taken their kick, but he’s not breaking any rules in the current state of play.
If he wa on the SCG he,d start from the fullback line.

Glenhope

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Situation: It's late in a game and the Roos are hanging on just. Ben takes a mark at 50m. He signals to the ump that he's taking a shot. He steps back as far as he can before the umpires calls "15 gone" (or whatever) then he goes back some more, timing his walk-in so he starts just before the ump can call play on. He then walks forward incredibly slowly. Always moving but just barely. I reckon he could soak up a couple of minutes easily. Can't be called to play-on because he's started his forward movement.

Bonus: Right at the last moment he turns and kicks sideways to a teammate also on the 50m then they repeat the process.

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I agree that it takes too long. Matthew Lloyd also had a routine that took time. But both of these guys are accurate kicks. I'd rather see more goals than behinds kicked (with the full back kicking out into congestion).

Set shots at goal should be a bit like a free throw in basketball - the clock could be stopped until the ball is actually kicked. The rule of 30s was brought in to stop time wasting in close games (see Mason Wood), not to speed the game up.
The Mason Wood incident was after the rule was brought in. He knew the game was almost over, North was in front by a point or something, so he used up his allotted time (watching the clock on the scoreboard) and kicked on or after the siren.
The AFL responded by not displaying a countdown clock the following year. Unfortunately a number of forwards got run down from behind as they began their approach because they didn't hear the umpire call play on over the crowd, whereas opponents could see the umps waving their arms. So they brought the clock back the following year.

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
Situation: It's late in a game and the Roos are hanging on just. Ben takes a mark at 50m. He signals to the ump that he's taking a shot. He steps back as far as he can before the umpires calls "15 gone" (or whatever) then he goes back some more, timing his walk-in so he starts just before the ump can call play on. He then walks forward incredibly slowly. Always moving but just barely. I reckon he could soak up a couple of minutes easily. Can't be called to play-on because he's started his forward movement.

Bonus: Right at the last moment he turns and kicks sideways to a teammate also on the 50m then they repeat the process.
Isn't there a rule re: time wasting?
Umps could just pay a free against

D-N-R

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2005
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WCE
If a player were to take an excessively long run up to waste time, he can be reported for time wasting and a free kick awarded against him. So it's unlikely.

Ben Brown uses the same routine every time so it would be difficult to describe it as specifically time wasting.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I think they need to get rid of the 30 second rule altogether. It gives players too much time to build pressure on themselves to kick a goal. Make it the same for everyone on the ground AFL, stop fiddling and trying to manufacture results. Yes I know this rule's been in for a few years now but it's just another unneeded rule that does nothing to enhance the game.

Player wins the ball (however) goes back far enough to give himself a run-up and space to kick over the man on the mark and then runs and kicks the ball - no watching the big screen, no picking grass and throwing it into the air without even watching it, no rolling socks up or down or taking your mouthguard out and tucking it into your undies... you know, just the same process they have to do everywhere else on the ground.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
How about instead of rushing the players, stop the clock when a mark is taken inside 50 and allow the player as long as they want within reason, but only start the time clock once they kick it which removes the potential for time wasting.

Simple change which doesn't require clocks, umpires counting in their head, and cheap gamesmanship

How about instead of rushing the players, stop the clock when a mark is taken inside 50 and allow the player as long as they want within reason, but only start the time clock once they kick it which removes the potential for time wasting.

Simple change which doesn't require clocks, umpires counting in their head, and cheap gamesmanship

Exactly. This is a manufactured issue that doesn't even need to exist. My view is that until you "kick" the ball you shouldn't be able to use up any of the clock.

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
It’s not for time wasting its biding time to reduce fatigue so he kicks u der less duress

Nov 21, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal FC

Yes, it is a long run up.

But he jogs in - he doesn't walk in.

Beer n Skittles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 6, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Rampage
It hit peak absurdity when he dominated against us. When he took yet another mark inside forward 50 I'd take the opportunity to duck out to the loo, grab a beer and make a quick visit to the post office down the road before coming back in time to see if he misses.
Carlton fans copped s**t for leaving the game early but it was Monday morning by that point and most of us had to get to work.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
I think they need to get rid of the 30 second rule altogether. It gives players too much time to build pressure on themselves to kick a goal. Make it the same for everyone on the ground AFL, stop fiddling and trying to manufacture results. Yes I know this rule's been in for a few years now but it's just another unneeded rule that does nothing to enhance the game.

Agree 100%. A kick at goal should be made under the same rules as anywhere else on the ground.

dmac_55

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
Agree 100%. A kick at goal should be made under the same rules as anywhere else on the ground.
Fox footy mentioned this tonight basically about the way the rules can be changed. Why don’t they just stop the clock for every inside 50 mark or free kick that results in a set shot on goal. Would be perfect trial in these shortened quarters.

Back