Ben Brown Staging

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm keen for Goddard to be called out on his "play like a man" comments.

Essendon - as with most things - have been late to the women's football party, but Goddard's comments aren't acceptable and those defending him need to have a long look at themselves and their troglodyte attitudes.

So desperate to deflect. Those incidents wernt even in general play and there was contact to the face.

Brown actually used to get very hard done by. He'd be blocked, get his arms chopped, or be held onto by the defenders, way worse than any other North forward of the last 10 years. It's easy to see why: He's a 200cm+ forward that has a good set of hands and is fast on the lead. As a defender, it's worth the risk of infringing because he's hard to stop legally.

To combat this, I think he started exaggerating contact sometime last year. However now that umpires are actually noticing that defenders cheat against it, I still think he's having a really hard time getting it out of his game, now that it's "soaked in".

We've seen this in players like Lindsay Thomas and Alex Rance, where they are very talented footballers but flop almost on instinct. It's a shame, because Brown is an insanely talented forward. He'd be opposition coaches' #1 focus, without a doubt. I'd hate for this to overshadow that.

Brown actually used to get very hard done by. He'd be blocked, get his arms chopped, or be held onto by the defenders, way worse than any other North forward of the last 10 years. It's easy to see why: He's a 200cm+ forward that has a good set of hands and is fast on the lead. As a defender, it's worth the risk of infringing because he's hard to stop legally.

To combat this, I think he started exaggerating contact sometime last year. However now that umpires are actually noticing that defenders cheat against it, I still think he's having a really hard time getting it out of his game, now that it's "soaked in".

We've seen this in players like Lindsay Thomas and Alex Rance, where they are very talented footballers but flop almost on instinct. It's a shame, because Brown is an insanely talented forward. He'd be opposition coaches' #1 focus, without a doubt. I'd hate for this to overshadow that.
the over exaggeration isnt so bad. Sometimes you need to make sure the ump can see whats happened. I dont mind that. Infringement is there, so whether you milk it for all its worth or not, its still there. doesnt change that fact

This is a proper dive though. no contact. Spins and contorts. the theatrics aren't necessary. And when it results in a free, im all for a ban.
Can't whinge about standards of umpires when we accept this sort of behaviour from players.

Some rules of our game are embarrassing.

We now penalise strength, we penalise players who go for the ball, and we penalise defenders winning the contest on the goal line.

WAKE UP AFL.

Some rules of our game are embarrassing.

We now penalise strength, we penalise players who go for the ball, and we penalise defenders winning the contest on the goal line.

WAKE UP AFL.

Especially holding ruck contests, It's become a joke. you literally don't know 90% of the time which way they're gonna call a free when they pluck one out. Even the players as you see both of them look at the umpire to see who's gonna win the raffle.

Just let them duke it out unless it's a clear cut free kick let it go. The stronger rucks need to be able to keep the advantage they have.

As a supporter of Richmond, it's fair to say I've had more experience than most when it comes to identifying staging. For North fans to suggest Ben Brown is doing anything other than staging shows just how potent the kool aid is down at Arden Street.

Especially holding ruck contests, It's become a joke. you literally don't know 90% of the time which way they're gonna call a free when they pluck one out. Even the players as you see both of them look at the umpire to see who's gonna win the raffle.

Just let them duke it out unless it's a clear cut free kick let it go. The stronger rucks need to be able to keep the advantage they have.
The arms around the waist decisions are becoming farcical. These guys are strong athletes. As long as their arms aren't impeded, let them grapple.

The arms around the waist decisions are becoming farcical. These guys are strong athletes. As long as their arms aren't impeded, let them grapple.

Yes, they are strong athletes, so a strong athlete putting their arms around another athlete's waist and using their 90kg+ bodyweight will stop any player from getting a fair run at the ball.

Brown has been making the most of defenders impeding a fair run at the ball (with holding or pushing) and he should continue to do it. If the defender wants to bump and jostle for a play at the ball then fair game, if they want to grapple, push and hold, they should be held to account.

Yes, they are strong athletes, so a strong athlete putting their arms around another athlete's waist and using their 90kg+ bodyweight will stop any player from getting a fair run at the ball.

Brown has been making the most of defenders impeding a fair run at the ball (with holding or pushing) and he should continue to do it. If the defender wants to bump then fair game, if they want to grapple, push and hold, the defenders should be held to account.
And if he does what he did in the posted video he should be warned or fined for staging.

let's forget the deflection; are you condoning this action by Brown?

Umm, what am I supposed to be so up in arms about?

Has he belted someone? Has he bitten someone? Has he made racial comments?

No, what's happened is that in the view of a notoriously bitter human being now trying to create a media craeer, he "staged" for a free, something that happens dozens of times a game in every game.

Jeez.

Exactly, Ben is still not paid more frees a game than he gets.

Brown has been making the most of defenders impeding a fair run at the ball (with holding or pushing) and he should continue to do it. If the defender wants to bump and jostle for a play at the ball then fair game, if they want to grapple, push and hold, they should be held to account.
i still think let them grapple.
otherwise you require the umpire to know who initiated, rather than watching the game. Or they ping the guy they see impede first. Doesn't seem like you can legitimately enforce this one fairly. Unless you get the goal umpire to watch them and call it the second they see it.

If feet are on the ground, let it be a contest of strength. Leave the calls to when the player is in the air and cant defend their position.

Umm, what am I supposed to be so up in arms about?

Has he belted someone? Has he bitten someone? Has he made racial comments?

No, what's happened is that in the view of a notoriously bitter human being now trying to create a media craeer, he "staged" for a free, something that happens dozens of times a game in every game.

Jeez.
let me guess. Lindsay was your favourite Roo, yeah?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i hope they do. And we win by 100pts.

I know, overlooking the fact that you cheated to win is fundamental to being an Essendon supporter, like the s**t fashion sense, penchant for naming your children after alcoholic beverages and misguided belief that footy is Married at First Sight with a ball.

i still think let them grapple.
otherwise you require the umpire to know who initiated, rather than watching the game. Or they ping the guy they see impede first. Doesn't seem like you can legitimately enforce this one fairly. Unless you get the goal umpire to watch them and call it the second they see it.

If feet are on the ground, let it be a contest of strength. Leave the calls to when the player is in the air and cant defend their position.

Back on topic for this thread, you will never see Brown choose to grapple. His strength is getting separation and taking the ball too high for the defender, he is 200cm and has a great pair of hands.

This is why you will see North fans in here defending him and raising the point that he doesn't get anywhere near the amount of frees that he should. It is also the reason he does get a lot of free kicks and opposition supporters then question the 3 deserved frees with the 1 howler.

While true he's certainly not the only one in that bracket.

It's just a bad look to over exaggerate imo and that's not a biased view as we have Daniher that does it ALL the time and it drives me crazy.

Their coaches should be cracking down on them.

Daniher and Brown both have a high centre of gravity and are not exactly power/burst type players on the lead, I can see why they both get the shits with the grapple & hold defenders.

Given Woosha was happy for his West Coast team to snort half of Colombia as long as the wins came, unlikely at your end.

Give it a rest. Yes you hate Essendon, good for you, but all you are doing is trolling about them in a thread about Brown. Take it somewhere else.

Give it a rest. Yes you hate Essendon, good for you, but all you are doing is trolling about them in a thread about Brown. Take it somewhere else.
i'm surprised the mods have let it go for so long.
we have thick skins, yes. But there is a certain 4 letter N word we can't utter in this thread for fear of upsetting a supporter base (lol, base).

seems for all the rules on the main board about no go zones, the essendon drug saga is still cool to trot out to dodge the issue at hand. I.e. Brown's somersault.

Surely the funniest part of the sad theatrics is that O'Brien's initial reaction is to ask (almost begging) Sloane to know wtf was happening
kid probably gets a better standard of umpiring from the SANFL.

Doubt you get many clowns doing somersaults mid-ruck contest there.

Surely the funniest part of the sad theatrics is that O'Brien's initial reaction is to ask (almost begging) Sloane to know wtf was happening

Yeah, but O'Brien struggles to understand wtf is happening 99 per cent of the time, he's not the sharpest serial killer in the state.

kid probably gets a better standard of umpiring from the SANFL.

Doubt you get many clowns doing somersaults mid-ruck contest there.
Believe it not Adelaide cop an absolute hiding from the umpires in the SANFL.

And the winner of the last 2 Magarey Medals was Mitch Grigg. In the year prior he was still on Adelaides list, and had an almost statically identical season playing in the same position and didn't post a vote

The SANFL does Adelaide no favours

Remove this Banner Ad

Back