Ben Brown Staging

Remove this Banner Ad

It will now be talked about until he stops diving. Although I don't hold much hope for that since Brad pretty much said last night they make him do diving drills at training and he's instructed to dive if he feels any contact. Sad really.

I look forward to the howls ... no it is Essendon supporters we are talking about here ... SQUEALS of anguish on Friday night when Ben, having got separation from Hooker is felled by a blow from behind from the great dolt and justly awarded the free kick.

I can just see it now, the male figures in their sub-Carl Williams fashion sense screeching "dive", their partners, failed MAFS entrants they are looking up from their phones for once, the imbecile children trying to overcome the calming effects of the medication they are on with endless gulps of coke and Monster squealing "baaaaaaaaalll" as soon as any North player is tackled without any reference to the actual context of play.

North posters have called out the flop for what it was

Glad someone can acknowledge this instead of saying we think there's nothing untoward. Thread has some real s**t posts in it. Cheers.

They've always been too worried about annoying north supporters lest all 20 of them refuse to turn up to the game and the afl is forced to concede the club has to be relocated to tassie

This is a terrible angle, our coach was fined for shitting on umps, our players get suspended/fined the same as any other club and the AFL do not go out of their way to keep us in Melbourne. We get a higher stipend from them, similar to the Saints, Suns, Dogs and Lions as smaller clubs with less gate revenue.
However, this has absolutely nothing to do with the argument at hand. I'd love to see where North are treated as favourites by the AFL, but until then grow up and try to understand that the league doesn't play favourites (plus how idiotic would it be to side with one of the smaller Victorian clubs if they did? Great logic).

The only time I’ve seen him live was last year at Marvel against us and he was ridiculous.

The most annoying part is the Kangaroos fans CANT BELIEVE how he doesn’t get free kicks.

It’s acrually disgusting to watch, been doing it non stop the last 2 seasons.

Just flails his arms out in the air and runs under the ball and plays for a free.

The Herald Sun used this picture in their article today. The caption was "Brown under pressure in a marking contest".

No, he's not under pressure, he's being illegally infringed over the shoulder in the marking contest. Christ almighty.

Browny.jpg

He’s an incredibly limited player who is living off free kicks, so he knows if he stops staging for frees, his lack of talent will be exposed and goals will dry up.

He’s an incredibly limited player who is living off free kicks, so he knows if he stops staging for frees, his lack of talent will be exposed and goals will dry up.

What a boring opinion.

He finished 2nd in the Coleman last year, in a team predicted to finish dead least. If it was easy to do that from flopping, everyone would be doing it. Please don't intentionally say dumb stuff in this thread, there's already enough of it unintentionally.

If Ben's "staging" was the great issue - the CANCER as Lance Uppercut called it - tjhen surely Duck would have identified it while dissecting everything wrong with Ben's game?
Ok let's see what he said exactly.

'Must add more elements to his game'
'He's never laid a tackle because he can't '
'One dimensional'
'If he doesn't mark it he's deemed useless'

Pretty harsh but we have to bear in mind this was before the disgraceful rubbish we've seen highlighted in this thread. Maybe Brad and Ben took Carey's comments on board and decided to consolidate his diving game so that can be another string to his bow. Pretty ill thought out strategy for mine but Brad doesn't seem like the brightest bloke going around. I just hope he doesn't destroy Ben's reputation in his quest for a cheap advantage.

What a boring opinion.

He finished 2nd in the Coleman last year, in a team predicted to finish dead least. If it was easy to do that from flopping, everyone would be doing it. Please don't intentionally say dumb stuff in this thread, there's already enough of it unintentionally.
What the hell does where some people predicted you to finish have to do with anything? What a desperate attempt to talk him up. You’re already clutching at straws.

Average free kicks per game last year:
Ben Brown - 2.2
Lance Franklin - 1.4
Tom Hawkins - 1.1
Jack Riewoldt - 1.1
Tom McDonald - 0.7

This season he is averaging 2.5. That is ridiculous. He’s basically averaging double the amount of free kicks than any other key forward. If you take away all the gifts he gets that no other key forward would, his goals would dry up significantly.

And Brown being an ordinary footballer is actually a widely shared opinion. North fans tend to overrate their players as much as Essendon fans do. He’s a one trick pony who stages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the hell does where some people predicted you to finish have to do with anything? What a desperate attempt to talk him up. You’re already clutching at straws.

Brown was arguably the key figure in bringing North 9 spots up the ladder. Well done on outing yourself on not actually watching any games, and just looking at the stats sheet instead.

Average free kicks per game last year:
Ben Brown - 2.2
Lance Franklin - 1.4
Tom Hawkins - 1.1
Jack Riewoldt - 1.1
Tom McDonald - 0.7

This season he is averaging 2.5. That is ridiculous. He’s basically averaging double the amount of free kicks than any other key forward. If you take away all the gifts he gets that no other key forward would, his goals would dry up significantly.

Why is that ridiculous? He gets infringed a lot. Brown and Lynch (Richmond) actually both get a free kick every 4-5 disposals, in 2019. In Lynch an ordinary player? I'm sure you'll come up with something.

And Brown being an ordinary footballer is actually a widely shared opinion. North fans tend to overrate their players as much as Essendon fans do. He’s a one trick pony who stages.

I'm sure it's widely shared in your head.

Don’t agree with Goddard’s comment of ‘be a man’. A bit far.
But agree with everything else. The staging and flapping the arms, is ridiculous. Brown does this constantly, and he’s 200cm and 100 kg. If this continues, then other forwards will begin to wonder and do it.
Brown did this in round 1, for 2 free kicks that resulted in goals. It’s frustrating to watch.

Don’t agree with Goddard’s comment of ‘be a man’. A bit far.
But agree with everything else. The staging and flapping the arms, is ridiculous. Brown does this constantly, and he’s 200cm and 100 kg. If this continues, then other forwards will begin to wonder and do it.
Brown did this in round 1, for 2 free kicks that resulted in goals. It’s frustrating to watch.
Agree with the be a man comment. If Beej had his time again I doubt he'd say it. I chalk that up to being fresh out of football. He needs to realise he's in the media now and not on the field which I'm sure he will.

when does the heat start to come on Ben brown for constant antics like this Goodes and rance were rightly called out on similar incidents but the big roo seems to be immune from the same media scrutiny

I am not going to bother reading pages and pages off rubbish, but this video is where it starts and finishes. As a professional athlete you don’t simply react like that when your opponent has given a push unless you are deliberately pushing for a free kick.

I’ve played a fair bit of footy over the years and a fair bit in the ruck, a push like that doesn’t send you flying and causing you to pirouette in the air. It’s not like his opponent is Iceland’s strongest man.

This is basically where footy is at these days. You’ve got situations where you have umpires getting sucked into this nonsense because they don’t get the game, are scared of repercussions of not pulling up cheaters, or simply just think it’s legitimate.

Footy just isn’t footy anymore. It used to be a hard game where players where proud of their strength and ability not to lose, now they simply exploit loopholes and rule interpretations to get a free kick without winning their own ball. I genuinely encourage people to watch rugby league or union, it’s a mans game where you can watch a couple of seriously strong campaigners batter one another without an umpire blowing a whistle or worrying about how the game looks.

As for Brown? Straight forward and old school player. Great endurance, great mark and elite set shot. As for that stuff? If you want to be remembered for being a pussy that gets free kicks, keeo it up, if you want to be remembered for being a great old fashioned FF, go back to playing to your strengths. And if North can’t use him properly then he should ask for a trade.

Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney, WB and St Kilda would all be better with him playing his traditional game.

Yeah it's taken a while for him to be called out for it but Brown waving his arms about at every contest exaggerating contact isn't exactly a new thing. Floggard went pretty hard here but he's spot on the money.

The problem is that right now Goddard is raw and that’ll get coached out of him, but really it shouldn’t. He is calling it for what it is - staging and cheating. The more honest our commentators maybe the general public will get pissed off enough and the AFL might just return our players their testicles so they can play a ******* mans game again.

The problem is that right now Goddard is raw and that’ll get coached out of him, but really it shouldn’t. He is calling it for what it is - staging and cheating. The more honest our commentators maybe the general public will get pissed off enough and the AFL might just return our players their testicles so they can play a ******* mans game again.
I get what you're saying but I think it was the wrong thing to say if only because it gives people an excuse to focus on something other than Ben Brown's gymnastic routine in that ruck contest which is the real issue here. For once I agree with Brad Scott in that he should focus his comments on the diving not the player.

Brown was arguably the key figure in bringing North 9 spots up the ladder. Well done on outing yourself on not actually watching any games, and just looking at the stats sheet instead.

Why is that ridiculous? He gets infringed a lot. Brown and Lynch (Richmond) actually both get a free kick every 4-5 disposals, in 2019. In Lynch an ordinary player? I'm sure you'll come up with something.

I'm sure it's widely shared in your head.
LOL. Ben Brown didn’t even finish in the top three in your BNF last season. He only polled one vote more than Trent Dumont. He’s a vanilla B grade flopper.

Free kick per disposal? Why have you added per disposal in there? Why not just look at average free kicks per game? 2.5 to 1.8. Brown still getting his arsed wiped in comparison to Lynch.

In my head? Why would I try to undersell Brown? I couldn’t give a stuff about North or Brown. You support North so you’re clearly going to overrate him whereas I can view him more objectively.

I get what you're saying but I think it was the wrong thing to say if only because it gives people an excuse to focus on something other than Ben Brown's gymnastic routine in that ruck contest which is the real issue here. For once I agree with Brad Scott in that he should focus his comments on the diving not the player.
The diving and player come hand in hand when you’re watching a particular player take a dive. Goddard is right on the money here. People should focus on Ben Brown. The only way to stop this is for people to get so passionate about it and identify the perpetrators so they can be bought to light and the issue can be stamped out.

The diving and player come hand in hand when you’re watching a particular player take a dive. Goddard is right on the money here. People should focus on Ben Brown. The only way to stop this is for people to get so passionate about it and identify the perpetrators so they can be bought to light and the issue can be stamped out.
Well in that case he should focus his comments at Brad Scott and the NM coaching panel because that is what he is being coached to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back