Ben Buckley poised to become North Melbourne chairman

Remove this Banner Ad

Funnily enough for the company I work for the President is also CEO.

And if he ever reads this what a fine job you are doing Sir. Keep it up.

So your real name is DarwinRoo? :eek:

I think you're mixing up the successes under the O'Niell era (qualification for the WC in 06, awareness raising) and attributing that to Buckley.

Buckley came into the sport after O'Niell when popularity was at an all time high, and squandered that success.

He has a lot of critics in soccer circles.

He also had a lot of criticism for failing to deliver on investors for the Sydney Rovers licence, which was his baby.

The criticism re: The World Cup bid, was always that he took the eye off the game locally whilst promoting the bid. Two clubs went under, another half dozen went into FFA administration and average crowd dropped from 14k high when he took over from O'Niell, to substandard 8k.

The crowds only picked up again in his last year on the back of Lowy ramming the Western Sydney franchise through into the league in 2012.

Like I said above, he got replaced by Gallop because the FFA had lost confidence in him and his negotiating and management skills.

Regardless, he certainly has credentials and I'm not saying he will be a failure. Just trying to give some perspective to the decision.

He couldn't be worse that that unprofessional goose Bradshaw.

Probably, just not a fan of the man. And yes he was good early days and did help us out, now I just feel he's holding us back.
Could be wrong though.

I have similar feelings but don't think calling him unprofessional is warranted, he is doing the best he can but my impression he just doesn't have the smarts for the job. However, he has done a lot of good things for the club which can't be ignored. I just would have preferred that once he got someone like Ben prepared to be the chairman he should have vacated the seat as soon as humanly possible, you do not have to see out your maximum possible term.

JB is entrenched on popularity alone, due to his TV and radio personality, even in incompetence, he would be hard to move off because people are morons.

If Ben turns out to be a goose, I think people will hold him much more accountable than JB.

I think you're mixing up the successes under the O'Niell era (qualification for the WC in 06, awareness raising) and attributing that to Buckley.

Buckley came into the sport after O'Niell when popularity was at an all time high, and squandered that success.

He has a lot of critics in soccer circles.

He also had a lot of criticism for failing to deliver on investors for the Sydney Rovers licence, which was his baby.

The criticism re: The World Cup bid, was always that he took the eye off the game locally whilst promoting the bid. Two clubs went under, another half dozen went into FFA administration and average crowd dropped from 14k high when he took over from O'Niell, to substandard 8k.

The crowds only picked up again in his last year on the back of Lowy ramming the Western Sydney franchise through into the league in 2012.

Like I said above, he got replaced by Gallop because the FFA had lost confidence in him and his negotiating and management skills.

Regardless, he certainly has credentials and I'm not saying he will be a failure. Just trying to give some perspective to the decision.
I'm not sure who implemented the change but whoever decided to move soccer from competing with all the other football codes in winter, to summer, made a great decision I reckon

I'm not sure who implemented the change but whoever decided to move soccer from competing with all the other football codes in winter, to summer, made a great decision I reckon

Frank Lowy made all of the big decisions for the first few years so I guess he's the one to thank for ensuring a nutter like me who supports both footy and A-League passionately is now bereft of an off season longer than one week.

Frank Lowy made all of the big decisions for the first few years so I guess he's the one to thank for ensuring a nutter like me who supports both footy and A-League passionately is now bereft of an off season longer than one week.

Nope, I believe it was Stefan Kamasz (ex-Syd FC CEO) who campaigned for the change in the late 80s when he was head of the NSL.

They've been playing in the Summer for a good 25 years now.

Nope, I believe it was Stefan Kamasz (ex-Syd FC CEO) who campaigned for the change in the late 80s when he was head of the NSL.

His idea. Lowy made it happen.

Jeez, 25 years already. Felt like 10. Where did those 15 years go? Too many schooners I suspect

It is common enough, but it is frowned upon unless the person in the dual role is exceptional or the organisation is insiginificant in size or scope.

The problem is the board is meant to evaluate the role and performance of the CEO, if he isn't doing a great job it can be problematic to address it at board level.

You don't think it would occur to the rest of the board to maybe send Carl out on a coffee run while they have a bit of a chat about his performance?

You don't think it would occur to the rest of the board to maybe send Carl out on a coffee run while they have a bit of a chat about his performance?

It is just not that simple. The entire outlook is totally different when a board member is the CEO, they are just not judged to the same standards an outsider is and they are a lot more entrenched.

Look at it like this forum and judging our players vs judging opposition players, the blinkers are on hardcore with our players for the vast majority of people, say Petrie was playing for Essendon, he would be called a useless hack based on the same output.

He couldn't be worse that that unprofessional goose Bradshaw.

Probably, just not a fan of the man. And yes he was good early days and did help us out, now I just feel he's holding us back.
Could be wrong though.

Under Brayshaw North has reduced debt from $8m to $2m in 6 years despite spending $15m on a top class training facility. In 2014 we had record membership and $400k profit. Over the past two years the club has secured quality assistant coaches and free agents and made a prelim for the first time in many years. You can't expect Brayshaw to coach the team and you can't expect him to play. What he has done is resource a much stonger club than existed before his tenure. Credit where credit is due.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Under Brayshaw North has reduced debt from $8m to $2m in 6 years despite spending $15m on a top class training facility. In 2014 we had record membership and $400k profit. Over the past two years the club has secured quality assistant coaches and free agents and made a prelim for the first time in many years. You can't expect Brayshaw to coach the team and you can't expect him to play. What he has done is resource a much stonger club than existed before his tenure. Credit where credit is due.
Don't let these facts get in the way of a good story...

All fair points I'm sure, and it's a weird feeling not liking the President of the club I love.

He honestly embarrasses me with his behaviour, and yes I said he was good early days. Not 100% sure we put 15million into Arden St though. Arocca on the other hand....

All said and done Brayshaw has helped the club stay in Melbourne ! Helped reduce the club debt! We are in better shape now than before he got the job ! He shits me when does the things on the footy show, but that is his job and I have never heard him say anything but positive things about the North Melbourne Football Club.

If you remember the pick before him wanted to send us to the Gold Coast.

Never fear Brashaws going the distance," At the AGM in 2017 I will hand over, and where I hope (the report is) right is I think Ben Buckley would be an outstanding next chairman of the football club.”

Awesome work Jim yeah I think Ben Buckley will do a great job as well.

Pity you won't consider moving on, probably one of the reasons I don't like you, just saying.

Never fear Brashaws going the distance," At the AGM in 2017 I will hand over, and where I hope (the report is) right is I think Ben Buckley would be an outstanding next chairman of the football club.”

Awesome work Jim yeah I think Ben Buckley will do a great job as well.

Pity you won't consider moving on, probably one of the reasons I don't like you, just saying.

I would not be surprised if there is a rival ticket for the presidency in 2016.

A bit hard on Bradshaw, but it is time for him to go and I would be happy to have Buckley running our ship.

So what do we do about the fact that Buckley lives interstate, rarely comes to games and doesn't currently commit funds to any of our fundraising groups? We all ok with that are we?

So what do we do about the fact that Buckley lives interstate.......

That'd never work!

032012-david-koch.jpg

Gee whiz, some are being a bit rough on Brayshaw. He's a big part of the reason that we still have a North Melbourne Football Club to support.

In terms of great North Melbourne people, he's up there with Blight, Carey, Archer, etc.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/north-...says-roos-chief-brayshaw-20160504-gomgsy.html

None the less, Scott is squared away for two more years after this, the Roos are about to sign up for five more years in Hobart and on the horizon there is a glow. Whatever happens, Brayshaw vacates at year's end, hopefully handing over to former player Ben Buckley. North's corporate charter insists on turnover. "Three terms is enough," said Brayshaw. "I think that's a good thing. It's an opportunity to get new eyes and ears into that role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back