Ben Buckley poised to become North Melbourne chairman

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/north-...says-roos-chief-brayshaw-20160504-gomgsy.html

None the less, Scott is squared away for two more years after this, the Roos are about to sign up for five more years in Hobart and on the horizon there is a glow. Whatever happens, Brayshaw vacates at year's end, hopefully handing over to former player Ben Buckley. North's corporate charter insists on turnover. "Three terms is enough," said Brayshaw. "I think that's a good thing. It's an opportunity to get new eyes and ears into that role.
Happy with Ben Buckley taking over.

Can we keep JB in some other official role at the club next year?

JB accomplished the main objective and that is not relocating the club. He also oversaw a 80% reduction in our debt and the redevelopment of Arden St. Yeah he has his flaws but he has fulfilled his role well.

Well done JB, i hope the boys see you out with a flag

I'd like to see JB transition into a spruiker role after he steps down. Just embrace his bias and try to help sell the club to fans, something most North Melbourne media people don't do that well.
What, not happy with King's continual dismissive opinion of us and our lack of top end talent?

I love, respect and idolise JB but he needs a break. He has done 100 life times worth of work for this club, I'd love him to stay as a board member or in some official capacity as he really does bleed the mighty blue and white but I think he needs a spell for a year or two. That being said, he won't be lost to the club.

I was having a bit of a clean-out and came across an article which was printed in the Sunday Herald-Sun on 9/12/07. I thought I would type it up in case anyone was interested. I really hope JB gets to experience the joy of North winning the premiership before he hands over the reins to Ben Buckley (or whoever it's going to be).

Brayshaw: We will rise again
Jackie Epstein
Sunday Herald Sun - 9/12/07

New North Melbourne chairman James Brayshaw has revealed his personal ambition to secure the Kangaroos' future for his family.

The club's 138-year history has been at the forefront of the rejection of the AFL's $45 million offer to head to the Gold Coast.

Adamant the club will strengthen and prosper, Brayshaw wants the club to be alive for his four sons - Jonathan, 13, Henry, 10, George, 2, and Fred, one month.

"I've loved the North Melbourne Football Club since I was (my son) George's age and I know there are a lot of supporters who are equally as passionate," Brayshaw said.

"It's always been North Melbourne to me and it's right that it stays there. The membership is at 7000 and we've got to get it to 10,000 by Christmas, so everyone has to join up.

"North Melbourne people have just got to rally and make sure that we get as many people on board as possible.

"By doing that, we display to the whole league that we're serious. The question I keep getting asked by everyone is, 'You've won all these flags, but you've still got the lowest membership and you can't get anyone to support you'...we've got to really start turning this into an elite property quickly."

Brayshaw said a major sponsor would be announced this week and confirmed he was in discussions with Vodafone.

His nine-man board is complete and he has introduced three middle-tier sponsorships that will reap $1 million.

Since Thursday night's landmark meeting, he has fielded calls from interested backers.
"The most important period for us is 2010 and beyond," he said.

'When our financial structure changes - because you're not going to play games on the Gold Coast after '09 and therefore the funding's not going to be there and neither should it be - we have to have our house in order and fund ourselves.

"The day that we can turn around and say that we are wiping our own face, that we've got money in the bank, that we're not bereft of opportunity and life...it will be one of the happiest days of my life."

The Kangaroos will play their contracted matches on the Gold Coast next season, but the fixturing may change in the final year of the contract - 2009.

Brayshaw said relations between the club and the AFL were strong, but he had not yet caught up with league chief executive Andrew Demetriou.

"I've spoken to Gill McLachlan (AFL chief commercial and broadcasting officer) at length and he was terrific," Brayshaw said. "He said, 'Good luck and I hope it goes well.' To use his words, he said, 'It's in our best interests that you succeed as much as it is in yours.' He was fantastic.

"I tried to ring Andrew (and) haven't spoken to him yet, but I will. There's certainly no ill-will from our side of it and we need to have a very good relationship with the AFL.

"We understand why the AFL's got to be there, but we're the North Melbourne Football Club and we don't want to live there."

And from the same paper...

Demetriou said it would take several years to pass judgement on the Kangaroos' decision to persevere in Melbourne.

"If you want to stay in Melbourne and take your chances then you'll continue to scratch and survive and find it very difficult to compete with these other clubs where the gap is getting bigger," Demetriou said.

"It is up to them now - it is up to (Roos chairman) James Brayshaw...it is going to be hard because history shows that while you might have a spike for a year, the second and third and fourth year are going go be the challenges."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Demetriou said it would take several years to pass judgement on the Kangaroos' decision to persevere in Melbourne.

"If you want to stay in Melbourne and take your chances then you'll continue to scratch and survive and find it very difficult to compete with these other clubs where the gap is getting bigger," Demetriou said.

"It is up to them now - it is up to (Roos chairman) James Brayshaw...it is going to be hard because history shows that while you might have a spike for a year, the second and third and fourth year are going go be the challenges."
Well fancy that.

Oh Dimwit :$:$:$

Thanks for that GN,gives a real perspective on how far we've come in under 9 years. I mean talk of getting membership up to 10k and we're now at 42+k. Its been a hard slog but there's a really positive feeling now that we're no longer vulnerable and the future is very bright.

Thanks for providing this quote GoNorth. The "North's outlook is hopeless / they are grasping at straws" sentiment underlying this kind of dire warning was rife back then. It really is remarkable the way we have been turned around.

What a fat piece of s**t. Never would he acknowledge that the widening gap between clubs was a product of his administrations rigged fixtures and shitty stadium deals.

Note to self, next time I'm at Arden Street, sneak into the rooms and scratch his name of the number 28 locker.

Double bonus. Without an official capacity to fulfill (unless he stays on in some form) Brayshaw can finally be a full bodied media presence for NM and not have to tow the politically correct line.

Might even be able to start commentating North games on triple m, would be a hoot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back