Ben Buckley poised to become North Melbourne chairman

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting times for Ben, arising from Australia's bid for the 2022 soccer world cup, when he was CEO of Football Federation Australia - http://www.theage.com.au/sport/socc...al-of-australia-2022-bid-20170627-gwzz4g.html

He's not accused of corruption, but ...

"While Mr Buckley, who led Australia's bid as FFA chief executive, and former FFA chairman Mr Lowy, are not implicated in any corruption, the Garcia report details new evidence that shows the pair variously supported practices that appear to have breached World Cup bidding rules and, in the case of Mr Buckley, suggest the FFA was prepared to make improper offers to secure the votes of FIFA chiefs."

I don't know what implications, if any, this will have on Ben's tenure as chairman, but http://www.theage.com.au/sport/socc...n-world-cup-bid-payments-20170628-gx0lih.html states that Swiss prosecutors are investigating potential corruption charges against the recipients of the payments. I think I also read somewhere that the US Justice Department are also investigating.

Nup, nothing to worry about.

"Individuals involved in the Australian bid won't face further fallout after Garcia probed Football Federation Australia's (FFA) dealings with Jack Warner, Trinidad and Tobago's FIFA executive member."

Read this: http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/06/28/ffa-respond-damning-fifa-world-cup-bid-report

I think that's relating to the Garcia/FIFA report itself. Not the Swiss or US investigations that are still ongoing.

In the sea of corruption the Swiss and US are wasing through I suspect our tiny contribution will barely raise a ripple. They appear to be concentrating on the Warner types who took advantage of the system and the countries like Qatar who exploited it. We felt compelled to play the game to an extent and were duly taken for a ride.

In the sea of corruption the Swiss and US are wasing through I suspect our tiny contribution will barely raise a ripple. They appear to be concentrating on the Warner types who took advantage of the system and the countries like Qatar who exploited it. We felt compelled to play the game to an extent and were duly taken for a ride.

And that's how it should be.

I can just see that since we 'seem' to be at least 'trying' to do everything above board to help with the investigation we might be at least an easy target for them to say 'Well at least we got THESE guys.....it's a start!!'

And that's how it should be.

I can just see that since we 'seem' to be at least 'trying' to do everything above board to help with the investigation we might be at least an easy target for them to say 'Well at least we got THESE guys.....it's a start!!'

I suspect our shitness at playing said FIFA game will help here as we wound up gaining exactly nothing, as opposed to others, and it's them who are in the cross hairs of investigators. Buckley was merely doing whatever he was directed to do at the time by Lowy and co anyway. Clearance Clarence!

Yes, well, wasn't that the debate regarding the defeated motion to limit the number of home games played outside Victoria/Melbourne? It got defeated in preference to 'has it's HQ at Arden St.' The cynics amongst us ( :sternlook ) noting that this doesn't mean more games couldn't be played in Tassie, with our HQ still in Melbourne.

".........under my leadership, North Melbourne will always be headquartered at Arden Street"

Now all we have to do, is figure out a way to make him leader for life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regardless of how it stacks up to corruption elsewhere, its more than a little disconcerting.

The thought that they might be willing to break the rules doesn't sit well with me, and if true then its a slow burner fuse on a real issue for the club.

Yes, well, wasn't that the debate regarding the defeated motion to limit the number of home games played outside Victoria/Melbourne? It got defeated in preference to 'has it's HQ at Arden St.' The cynics amongst us ( :sternlook ) noting that this doesn't mean more games couldn't be played in Tassie, with our HQ still in Melbourne.

He does state in the article that we aren't looking to increase our number of games on the map.

Regardless of how it stacks up to corruption elsewhere, its more than a little disconcerting.

The thought that they might be willing to break the rules doesn't sit well with me, and if true then its a slow burner fuse on a real issue for the club.

I doubt anything corrupt was ever intended. Remember that was a very different time to now, when FIFA officials ran around in limos and private jets being swooned by competing host country bid teams. We hired (at ridiculous expense) advisors with many years of experience and were doing as suggested in some instances, and refusing to in others. Lowy was in his 80's and obviously determined to see a WC in Australia in his lifetime, and the fine line between determination and desparation may well have been crossed at times along the way. But again, it was a different era. In fact it was the end of the era of largesse and corruption and we must've been an easy target.

I don't see why it would be a concern for us, particularly now, and especially when BB himself isn't concerned in the slightest.

I doubt anything corrupt was ever intended. Remember that was a very different time to now, when FIFA officials ran around in limos and private jets being swooned by competing host country bid teams. We hired (at ridiculous expense) advisors with many years of experience and were doing as suggested in some instances, and refusing to in others. Lowy was in his 80's and obviously determined to see a WC in Australia in his lifetime, and the fine line between determination and desparation may well have been crossed at times along the way. But again, it was a different era. In fact it was the end of the era of largesse and corruption and we must've been an easy target.

I don't see why it would be a concern for us, particularly now, and especially when BB himself isn't concerned in the slightest.
It was a different time then, I remember my first boss and the sales manager used to talk about the excesses and the crazy booze-up and nights with clients in the late 80'. I know this still happens, but it was a much more consistent theme to take your clients out on a bender to strippers and heavy drinking.

Unfortunately that wont save us from a media sh*tstorm if he comes under detailed investigation, and the results of that investigation and the actions taken will all be viewed in the microcosm of our time, not the 80's.

It was a different time then, I remember my first boss and the sales manager used to talk about the excesses and the crazy booze-up and nights with clients in the late 80'. I know this still happens, but it was a much more consistent theme to take your clients out on a bend to strippers and heavy drinking.

Unfortunately that wont save us from a media sh*tstorm if he comes under detailed investigation, and the results of that investigation and the actions taken will all be viewed in the microcosm of our time, not the 80's.

Just reminiscing about the good old days crazy booze up nights with clients.................yep, those were the days.

Everyone's being, and has been, investigated. I don't know why anyone would feel a need to panic about public perceptions in relation to our club off the back of it.

The feelings are that we'll be fine and, if not, those involved at the time have long since departed the game anyway and are hence unlikely to face any repurcussions. If anyone were to it would be on Lowy's head, not BB's, and even that remains highly unlikely.

Don't stress mate.

Just reminiscing about the good old days crazy booze up nights with clients.................yep, those were the days.

Everyone's being, and has been, investigated. I don't know why anyone would feel a need to panic about public perceptions in relation to our club off the back of it.

The feelings are that we'll be fine and, if not, those involved at the time have long since departed the game anyway and are hence unlikely to face any repurcussions. If anyone were to it would be on Lowy's head, not BB's, and even that remains highly unlikely.

Don't stress mate.

Good, poste '80's

My mail is that once Ben is firmly entrenched at Arden St, it won't be long til the club targets his brother and poaches him away from Coll to replace Mr Scott. Not saying I think this should happen, but my mail suggests otherwise.
Will Nathern put Ben Electric Blanket on 3 like he does with Eddie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back