News Ben Buckley stepped down as President, BIGFOOTY'S OWN Dr Sonja Hood has taken on the role.

Remove this Banner Ad

The city has always been ducked. Hook turns DESTROYED the city years ago.
If you grew up in Melbourne hook turns are fine. The bike paths are the problem and reducing main through roads to one lane. Great to see the city admit problems by placing the whole roll out on hold for a year. Not anti bike lanes - but the way they are in some sections now make travelling by car dangerous (to others). I just stay clear now.

But people like me do not do bikes or public transport so our once or twice a month visit to the city doesn't happen now.

LOL

You sound like a Melbourne supporter who thinks that Docklands stadium is located somewhere between Mordor and the seventh circle of Hell.

If you grew up in Melbourne hook turns are fine. The bike paths are the problem and reducing main through roads to one lane. Great to see the city admit problems by placing the whole roll out on hold for a year. Not anti bike lanes - but the way they are in some sections now make travelling by car dangerous (to others). I just stay clear now.
This is a weird way of saying you can’t drive properly

So it’s just an assumption you’re making. Maybe he saw more benefit in running the exclusive. A finger back at his old boss at The Age.

No, it is the result of decades working in media.

One out of three! Love Melbourne but I can't even drive there now. Bike paths make the city undrivable in parts - and I know that's the aim. City doesn't want cars. But people like me do not do bikes or public transport so our once or twice a month visit to the city doesn't happen now. Know plenty like me. Probably doesn't matter much in the scheme of things.

This is just a lie. Plain lie.

Did you notice how voters reacted to two years of this s**t in the recent election.

No, it isn't. What the duck would you know about how this stuff works anyway?
Yes, it is. I know someone would sell a scoop to a previous employee. I also know they would sell a scoop to a competitor when trying to build the profile of their current brand. How do I know? Guess.

Interesting how history will view lockdowns long term. So complicated.
You can argue whether or not it’s effective in terms of quelling the outbreak, but to suggest the measures were anything else than a decision based on the advice given made to protect or attempt to protect the community then you are completely off base, it’s the same in WA.

You can’t convince me that Andrews/McGowan whilst different methods wanted to introduce restrictions they didn’t truly believe to be necessary.

This dictator s**t is moronic

You can’t convince me that Andrews/McGowan whilst different methods wanted to introduce restrictions they didn’t truly believe to be necessary.

Agree but I think you could say the same about the response of every state and territory leader in Australia.

A lot of us are pretty firmly in some form of political tribe, but I think its fair to say that both liberal and labor state governments had the best interests of their communities at heart, whether they were drastic like WA and Victoria, or more laisse faire like NSW.

It was reassuring to actually hear premiers of all stripes heed the advice of experts, unlike what was going on in the US and much of Europe.

I wouldn't be surprised if historians will one day regard the pandemic as a watershed moment in this country, where we circled back to the common sense position of listening to people who know more about public health than we do.

A refreshing change after much of the previous decades politics in the west was obsessed with disregarding the elitism of expertise (see Trump, Brexit, successive Australian governments on climate change, etc)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was the least bad of s**t options.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
True - but the other issues will be more apparent like kids missing school. This is a major issue that will have long term impact. At some stage the Gov will stop resisting and release the health advice this was all based on. Would be interesting.

You can argue whether or not it’s effective in terms of quelling the outbreak, but to suggest the measures were anything else than a decision based on the advice given made to protect or attempt to protect the community then you are completely off base, it’s the same in WA.

I mostly agree, but I reckon they over- reached with the snap lockdown on Valentine's Day weekend, the complete ban on tradies even if they were working alone, and the closing of playgrounds. They lost me a bit when that stuff was going on.

I agree though that in general the lockdowns were the right course of action, for the right reasons, and our most vulnerable citizens were much much better off for it.

True - but the other issues will be more apparent like kids missing school. This is a major issue that will have long term impact. At some stage the Gov will stop resisting and release the health advice this was all based on. Would be interesting.

How many people would actually understand the health advice if it was released?

I highly doubt that the Qanon crowd and Dictator Dan shouting morons would suddenly change their mind regardless.

Interesting how history will view lockdowns long term. So complicated.

Nah, it is very simple. They were required and had widespread public support.

Every poll and bit of research says as much.

And folks got quite annoyed with the sooks and whiners who undermined them.

Just ask Josh Frydenberg.

Nah, it is very simple. They were required and had widespread public support.

Every poll and bit of research says as much.

And folks got quite annoyed with the sooks and whiners who undermined them.

Just ask Josh Frydenberg.
I suppose some argue we had the longest lockdown in the world and over reacted. To say they had wide public support is nonsense. However, my favourite Dan line was 'this is my first pandemic' and love or hate him, it's a fair call. Every poll I saw suggested low public support. But I am not an expert and no matter what side you can dredge up research to support your argument (you broadly, not you specifically).

Why did they have to put bike lanes on every road in the City grid? On William Street you wouldn't want to have an emergency vehicle trying to get through. They should have just put bike lanes onto one or two roads through the city

I suppose some argue we had the longest lockdown in the world and over reacted. To say they had wide public support is nonsense. However, my favourite Dan line was 'this is my first pandemic' and love or hate him, it's a fair call. Every poll I saw suggested low public support. But I am not an expert and no matter what side you can dredge up research to support your argument (you broadly, not you specifically).

What polls showed low public support?

This isn’t a both sides thing. The measures to curb the pandemic were popular in this state.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why did they have to put bike lanes on every road in the City grid? On William Street you wouldn't want to have an emergency vehicle trying to get through. They should have just put bike lanes onto one or two roads through the city
William St is the worst one as you approach Flagstaff gardens. Also top end of Swanston St. Nearly knocked a cyclist off his bike there.

no matter what side you can dredge up research to support your argument (you broadly, not you specifically).

Not on this. It is a fact they had widespread support.

It's been borne out on every test possible.

Scott Morrison was handing out anti Andrews/lockdown HTVs in Melbourne on election day, and they got slaughtered.

Labors vote went up in Dunkley and Corangamite, the seats they specifically targeted for an anti lockdown vote.

It is quite fascinating how people with the 3AW world view can't accept this reality.

The whole CBD will be car free sooner rather than later. Either by direct law or congestion charging or similar.

Not on this. It is a fact they had widespread support.

It's been borne out on every test possible.

Scott Morrison was handing out anti Andrews/lockdown HTVs in Melbourne on election day, and they got slaughtered.

Labors vote went up in Dunkley and Corangamite, the seats they specifically targeted for an anti lockdown vote.

It is quite fascinating how people with the 3AW world view can't accept this reality.
I'm a bit of a fence sitter tbh on lockdown. Release the health advice and lets see what it says. The money and effort the state gov is spending to prevent this raises a red flag to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back