News Ben Buckley stepped down as President, BIGFOOTY'S OWN Dr Sonja Hood has taken on the role.

Remove this Banner Ad

The issue for me was the lack of direction with Buckley.

It was one way then the other on multiple occasions. There wasn't a clear pathway for us as a footy club to work towards...

Sonja is taking a very different direction to what Buckley took and I think it's mostly got to do with how Sonja wants to approach things. It's not messy, it's not changing expectations every 5 mins or thinking we can pinch a flag from 9th spot...

There's a overall picture of where we are at as a footy club and that's what is driving the pathway we are taking. We've had bumps, but they are happening whilst we refuse to deviate from what we need to work on. No wallpapering and no leaving things untouched.

Last edited:
It’s hard to ignore 2017-2021 was our worst set of results in that we didn’t play finals and that we’ve never missed finals for more than 3 years.

Ofcourse we needed a rebuild but it came too little too late.

The debt reduction was great but considering the members pitched in a lot and the Tassie sponsorship dollars was the main reason behind it, hard to * up an already established revenue source.

Phoning it in from Sydney doesn’t work for us. Never has never will.
That’s fair, I’m just saying it wasn’t a total disaster. Did get the redevelopment going and did get us in a position to chase big players so it wasn’t dire. Keep in mind St Kilda has tried tassie and couldn’t leverage that to profits/debt reduction.

But yes the results recently have been poor and part of it is expected being in a rebuild but the hub nightmare, Scott extension , he has to wear a fair bit of responsibility for that, and I definitely agree a satellite arrangement isn’t good enough.

I'd also point out that the footy dept hasn't been taken seriously until like recently?

It's been our ongoing issue and I think we did very little to address those problems under Buckley. It was ultimately the reason we probably couldn't pinch one in 2016.

With a decent S&C team, line coaches and important roles given to experienced people with more accolades than what we had, do things change?

I'd also point out that the footy dept hasn't been taken seriously until like recently?

It's been our ongoing issue and I think we did very little to address those problems under Buckley. It was ultimately the reason we probably couldn't pinch one in 2016.

With a decent S&C team, line coaches and important roles given to experienced people, do things change?
Fair point.

That’s fair, I’m just saying it wasn’t a total disaster. Did get the redevelopment going and did get us in a position to chase big players so it wasn’t dire. Keep in mind St Kilda has tried tassie and couldn’t leverage that to profits/debt reduction.

But yes the results recently have been poor and part of it is expected being in a rebuild but the hub nightmare, Scott extension , he has to wear a fair bit of responsibility for that, and I definitely agree a satellite arrangement isn’t good enough.
It was a no-risk presidency. Safe as houses. Which doesn’t really fly with our trail blazing history when we’ve achieved success.

If you look at the 70s and 90s both periods of success required off field nous like the 10 year rule and Miller getting Carey and Longmire off of Sydney’s hands. That level of posturing.

For North, we are always going to be up against it and it’s why our board, CEO and chairmen have to be really ingrained and involved in some shithousery to get an edge over our competitors. Just don’t think Buckley was the right fit for us.

It was a no-risk presidency. Safe as houses. Which doesn’t really fly with our trail blazing history when we’ve achieved success.

If you look at the 70s and 90s both periods of success required off field nous like the 10 year rule and Miller getting Carey and Longmire off of Sydney’s hands. That level of posturing.

For North, we are always going to be up against it and it’s why our board, CEO and chairmen have to be really ingrained and involved in some shithousery to get an edge over our competitors. Just don’t think Buckley was the right fit for us.
Sure we as a club need to nail all off field possies more so than any other club considering what we are up against and if we graded him it’d probably be a C so I’m not saying he was great and I’m pretty happy he’s gone but now he’s gone I don’t think it’s worth getting mad about his tenure. He had a go did some things stuffed some others so I’m pretty neutral on him. Happy to move on from him.

It does look like Sonja is more hands on and more accountable to the supporters so I’m happy with the early signs

Advisor?

Don't wanna sound pessimistic but that sounds like he won't be as involved...
I just think it’s just his position won’t be CEO as Ben’s there or president (Sonja) so advisor is a good general title

I just think it’s just his position won’t be CEO as Ben’s there or president (Sonja) so advisor is a good general title
I take it as Rawlings and Amarfio are overwhelmed with recruitment and list management, Walsh is in to help Noble and the coaches. Reckon we could see more shuffling of chairs at years end.

I take it as Rawlings and Amarfio are overwhelmed with recruitment and list management, Walsh is in to help Noble and the coaches. Reckon we could see more shuffling of chairs at years end.
I just think it’s to assess assist the high end leadership, access his contacts experience.

Certainly a good idea to work out filling off field personel fix gaps. Tune up operations. Pretty much a shot at addressing many of the off feild grumbles this BF board have noted.

They’re having a go

Dr Hood has a really unique skill that I'd love to learn off her - delivering a diplomatic, friendly smack down. I and many others are either friendly, or stern and borderline surly (which is sometimes warranted).

However, she manages to pull people up, let them know they're being a bit cheeky, in a way that only makes you like her more. Hell, they probably walk away with a grin and go 'yep, that question was a bit cheeky'.

It's a really, really subtle art that she has absolutely mastered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dr Hood has a really unique skill that I'd love to learn off her - delivering a diplomatic, friendly smack down. I and many others are either friendly, or stern and borderline surly (which is sometimes warranted).

However, she manages to pull people up, let them know they're being a bit cheeky, in a way that only makes you like her more. Hell, they probably walk away with a grin and go 'yep, that question was a bit cheeky'.

It’s called competence mixed with confidence. Formidable stuff.

It’s called competence mixed with confidence. Formidable stuff.
She’s intelligent.

It’s so refreshing to have a president who isn’t a dumb *.
And for that she’s extremely likeable.
She gets it

She loves this club just as much as we do and has been a magnificent leader since stepping into the hot seat.

Cool, calm, calculated and charismatic.

What a woman!

We Are Not Worthy Charles Barkley GIF by NBA

Kind of like how Maguire operated at Collingwood....Diplomatic, humble and likeable.

Criticisms aside from Buckley, the guy was aspirational and his decision making was centred around winning a flag. His decision to extend Scott was a howler, but a year later despite the flak he made the inevitably correct decision to move him on. He also brought Dr Hood onto the board, potentially grooming her to take over from the get go and she is handling the role beautifully.

He made some howlers but if the legacies of his tenure are being commercially viable, finally rebuilding and bringing Dr Hood on board then happy days. Regardless of whether we land Clarko or not, we are rock solid in North Melbourne and ready for a tilt in the coming years instead of aimlessly wandering mid table and seeking crumbs from the AFL

I actually think that's underselling it as it's a rare trait even among the competent and confident, but don't want to nitpick your point. She's a gun.

I won't disagree with you on either point.

I guess what I meant was that even if it's more than that, you can't do it without confidence and competence. They're prerequisites.

Reckon she gets home at night, fixes herself a G & T, and thinks to herself “what the * have I got myself into?”
I reckon she gets home at night, takes off her cape, fixes herself a G&T and thinks to herself "They're going to build a statue of me outside Arden Street"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back