Ben Cousins arrested

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the real problem is Ben has never done it tough, good school, good money, good family, always the center of attention and adulation.

Then hanging around with shady characters from around Perth because of his fame who had done it tough and the way out for them from a pretty shitty life and lack of education is criminal activities.

I think he is a naive selfish spoiled kid who has never grown up, i am not blaming his family because all a loving family does is try and give their best for their kids, which is exactly what they did.

He does not need help from anybody else, he needs to do this himself, he has had enough crutches.

The last paragraph is relevant. Sometimes in life, only you can help yourself.

Doesn't matter what the circumstances are, you do have choices - was in cardiac rehabilitation after a suffering heart attack and seen others there and one of the things you are first told is give up the cigarettes (I'm not a smoker by the way). What do I see leaving rehab, the same people who have just been thru the same experience as myself, puffing away like a train. Obviously, they don't want to change their behaviour and want to go thru it again (no thanks, one heart attack is all I ever want to go thru). It is in a two words - will power!

You and only you can make the decision. It isn't up to someone else to make it, only you can do so.

PS : I've changed my behaviour, lost 20 kgs and now go to gym 3-4 times a week. It is hard but you have to be motivated and willing to change.

Thanks. New life is worth every sickening day of withdrawal. Seems like a different life ago now though
Good luck. The best feeling for me no longer drinking is waking up each day without headaches, spew in the bed, and that sick feeling in the stomach over whether you have done something stupid, silly or illegal.

Good luck. The best feeling for me no longer drinking is waking up each day without headaches, spew in the bed, and that sick feeling in the stomach over whether you have done something stupid, silly or illegal.

Well done. My vice was heroin. I take my hat off to people who can stop drinking given how accepted, almost encouraged, and how apart of every day life it is. Great work

An opinion that differs to yours. Must be simple minded
My last post for this thread.

Your opinion is taking drugs is a choice, that is true, I agree.

Once a person becomes addicted it stops becoming a choice it is now a medical condition and defined as a mental illness.

All addicts put themselves in the positions the are in and some are better equipped to overcome it while others are likely to never recover. it will however stay with an addict for life.

Maybe Ben needs 100 chances to over come while another may need 1. At no stage should we stop caring, ridicule or laud over them. The man is unwell and may be beyond help but that never means we should stop trying.

Once a person becomes addicted it stops becoming a choice it is now a medical condition and defined as a mental illness.

All addicts put themselves in the positions the are in and some are better equipped to overcome it while others are likely to never recover. it will however stay with an addict for life.

Maybe Ben needs 100 chances to over come while another may need 1. At no stage should we stop caring, ridicule or laud over them. The man is unwell and may be beyond help but that never means we should stop trying.

I was addicted over 15 years. Not for a second was that mental illness, 100% my choice to keep going. And 100% my choice to stop.

And nothing anyone did in that time was going to change what I was doing. Not family, not money, not multiple stints in prison, not many many overdoses. Like starting, stopping is a decision.

Mine is not an opinion, it was my life, I lived it. But whatevs, agree to disagree

I was an addict for most of my teens and twenties. It's a choice to take drugs
But I'm pretty certain you didn't take drugs with the purpose of becoming an addict or even thinking you could become an addict.

It's no different to the bloke who drinks with his mates or the bloke punting on races regularly. Some sadly end up as alcoholics and gambling addicts, they start letting their vice control their life and find it incredibly hard to stop. They did not choose for that to happen, but it did.

Some people use the stuff Ben Cousins did in their young days too and they manage to avoid addiction, others end up like Ben.

Nobody is denying that drug taking is a choice, but Cousins certainly didn't choose to end up an addict. It's not as simple as take drugs and you'll end up an addict, that's just ridiculous. Cousins is clearly wired a different way and there lies the reason drugs continue to plague his life.

I was addicted over 15 years. Not for a second was that mental illness, 100% my choice to keep going. And 100% my choice to stop.

And nothing anyone did in that time was going to change what I was doing. Not family, not money, not multiple stints in prison, not many many overdoses. Like starting, stopping is a decision.

Mine is not an opinion, it was my life, I lived it. But whatevs, agree to disagree
Kudos to you, but you seem to think every person is going to be similar to you.

It's like with tobacco, some get addicted for years and manage to stop eventually, others keep coming back to smoking. No two situations are the same.

As for mental illness, you don't know Cousins nor does anyone on here know of his current mental health, he could very well be in the midst of some mental health issues. You honestly think being addicted as you said you were for 15 years has nothing to do with mental illness? A sane person wouldn't do heroin for 15 years.

Last edited:
This is where I will disagree.

Drug addiction is self inflicted. Yes there may be underlying causes of why the person took the drugs in the 1st place but there are strategies in place to deal with the whys. Had a bad day? Take a pill. Wanting to ''smash it'' because you have spent 3 weeks busting a gut on the training track? Have a session. Recall the doco, Ben said he used drugs as a reward. To me that isn't a mental illness.
100% correct . Bryan Cousins summed it up. Ultimately Ben made a series of bad decisions and he thought he could get away with it., but to his detriment he has learnt that he couldnt.

The sob story to the reporter who gave him a lift is classic drug addict manipulation . ...std fair. Cuz now has no shame....just lying to everyone for his own drug taking gain. When he says that hes a good father....well....sorry Ben....thats utter lies.

The last paragraph is relevant. Sometimes in life, only you can help yourself.

Doesn't matter what the circumstances are, you do have choices - was in cardiac rehabilitation after a suffering heart attack and seen others there and one of the things you are first told is give up the cigarettes (I'm not a smoker by the way). What do I see leaving rehab, the same people who have just been thru the same experience as myself, puffing away like a train. Obviously, they don't want to change their behaviour and want to go thru it again (no thanks, one heart attack is all I ever want to go thru). It is in a two words - will power!

You and only you can make the decision. It isn't up to someone else to make it, only you can do so.

PS : I've changed my behaviour, lost 20 kgs and now go to gym 3-4 times a week. It is hard but you have to be motivated and willing to change.
Choosing to lose weight isn't the same as choosing to give up smoking. If it was so easy for everyone to kick their addictions, we would barely ever hear about them.

My grandmother was a smoker, desperately wanted to change her behaviour, cut down and then tried quitting a few times, but kept coming back to smokes. She ended up dying from lung cancer. Obviously she chose to start smoking, but she sure as hell didn't choose to be addicted to the things. They had affected her brain and quitting made her suffer from withdrawals. They can be extremely hard to beat.

Such ignorance, honestly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...Ben chose to take drugs....so what comes of that choice is his doing.

The old, "I've heard all the warnings, but no way can it happen to me because I can give it up any time I want to" syndrome. Heard it all a million times. Sorry people, the only sure fire guard against drug addiction is to say no.

Choosing to lose weight isn't the same as choosing to give up smoking. If it was so easy for everyone to kick their addictions, we would barely ever hear about them.

My grandmother was a smoker, desperately wanted to change her behaviour, cut down and then tried quitting a few times, but kept coming back to smokes. She ended up dying from lung cancer. Obviously she chose to start smoking, but she sure as hell didn't choose to be addicted to the things. They had affected her brain and quitting made her suffer from withdrawals. They can be extremely hard to beat.

Ignorance?

My grandfather was a smoker, my father was a smoker, my brother was a smoker.

Never heard of our addiction to sugar? How about the obesity currently in society?

Only he change change things. No-one else. Unless you admit you have a problem, you can't deal with it. He is choosing, yes choosing, not to deal with it. No slack for Cousins, none whatsoever.

Did she have a mental illness? Asking because some have equated addiction to mental illness.

But I'm pretty certain you didn't take drugs with the purpose of becoming an addict or even thinking you could become an addict.

It's no different to the bloke who drinks with his mates or the bloke punting on races regularly. Some sadly end up as alcoholics and gambling addicts, they start letting their vice control their life and find it incredibly hard to stop. They did not choose for that to happen, but it did.

Some people use the stuff Ben Cousins did in their young days too and they manage to avoid addiction, others end up like Ben.

Nobody is denying that drug taking is a choice, but Cousins certainly didn't choose to end up an addict. It's not as simple as take drugs and you'll end up an addict, that's just ridiculous. Cousins is clearly wired a different way and there lies the reason drugs continue to plague his life.

Kudos to you, but you seem to think every person is going to be similar to you.

It's like with tobacco, some get addicted for years and manage to stop eventually, others keep coming back to smoking. No two situations are the same.

As for mental illness, you don't know Cousins nor does anyone on here know of his current mental health, he could very well be in the midst of some mental health issues. You honestly think being addicted as you said you were for 15 years has nothing to do with mental illness? A sane person wouldn't do heroin for 15 years.

Again, 100% NOT mental illness. I took drugs because i liked them and i liked the lifestyle. Thankfully I grew up and started giving a s**t about more people than just myself.

The old, "I've heard all the warnings, but no way can it happen to me because I can give it up any time I want to" syndrome. Heard it all a million times. Sorry people, the only sure fire guard against drug addiction is to say no.
Agreed. So true mate

Clearly you weren't addicted then

Lol good to know haha. Heroin is known for being the least addictive of all the illegal substances of course *eye roll* (I hope you understand sarcasm better than you understand 15 years of addiction to heroin)

Addicts have a choice. Its their own faults, no one elses. Mental illness my arse, its called being extremely selfish.
not everyone is perfect and able to cope with life even if the way they start an addiction is of their own choice. can't hang people based on
your simple attitude that 'we didn't deserve this' and 'he caused it all himself'. some people just get on a roll and it can spiral into oblivion.

I am just really sad that it gets to a point where everyone is so divided on this.

Actually, I dont give a toss about Ben et al. I wont ridicule him or others like him, but then neither will I help them or spend more than 90 seconds thinking about them. They make choices, they live with them, I dont intend to join them I dont need to think about their choices, I dont need to think about the consequences of their choices more to the point. Now their families have my thoughts, they are the true victims, they have to put up with what must be a nightmare on a daily basis, just normal everyday folks whose sons and daughters have ruined their lives. These are the true victims.

How exactly are you trying to help Ben? - "but that never means we should stop trying"

My word, you will be busy, here is a thought, help their families, they are the true victims, you seem confused in that regard.

Stop worrying about them, let them die in a gutter or an old house, or you could get really involved and try hands on help, screw your life as well while you are at it. Or we could talk and show empathy, wring our hands...and do nothing..but talk and wring our hands....lol. I choose stop worrying about them, I am pretty liberal, if they wanna play, then they can pay :)

To paraphrase Spengler, if a person is not interested in ensuring their own survival, dont expect others to ensure it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back