Scandal Ben Cousins at it again - Arrested

Remove this Banner Ad

You can keep trying to put words in my mouth if you like, but it's not making you look any smarter.

All I've said is that you are not in possession of all the information - your judgements are too certain, too final, when you may be way off. Do you not see the irony in you stating with certainty that you reside in the real world, but I don't? You are making certain judgements about me too now. The problem is, you don't know me, or Ben Cousins. You are too sure of yourself and your tough opinions.

Ben Cousins might have a mental illness. It might be a contributing factor. It doesn't excuse all the dumbass things he's done, but if it is a factor, it needs to be treated alongside his drug problem. Nobody is disputing the fact that Cousins needs to take responsibility for whatever is wrong with him - be it his drugs problem, mental illness, or both.

If you can't grasp this concept, there is something wrong with you.
You don't know who I know mate. You don't know who I went to school with, who I ran with back in the day, who my parents live a couple doors from, you don't know much. What is they say about ass-u-me again?

But FYI, it's extremely easy to have someone sectioned under mental health laws. Particularly if someone does actually have mental health issues. What does him not being sectioned tell yas?
As someone who works with the mentally ill day in and day out, this could not be further from the truth. I'm not going to entertain your ignorance any longer.

As someone who works with the mentally ill day in and day out, this could not be further from the truth. I'm not going to entertain your ignorance any longer.
Cool story bra, but I'm Calling BS ;-)

Last edited:
1) it IS a simple process to section someone
2) No one has tried to section BC, cause he doesn't have a mental illness (shock horror!!) Even AFTER a mental assessment post arrest, he was released.
So IF, and that's a big IF, you work in a hospital, maybe it's a public hospice, because anyone in a position of power (ie a guardian, parent or power of attorney) jus have to say 'I'm concerned for their well being' and boom, they are sectioned. that's the law. But you'd know that working with the mentally ill right?! Riiiiiiigghto.

The term "sectioned" is rarely used in WA...We use voluntary or involuntary status in reference to mental health patients. I can tell you that a family member saying "I am concerned for their well being", will NOT always lead to a person becoming an involuntary patient!...in fact, the legal aspects of someone becoming an involuntary patient are quite complex. it starts with an authorized mental health practitioner or doctor suspecting that someone HAS a mental illness....not only that, but the person must be a risk to themselves or others and must be refusing treatment. After suspecting this and meeting this criteria, the person may then be referred under Sec 26 and 28 of the Mental health Act (1996, but soon to be replaced by the 2014 act). This allows the person to be detained in an Authorized hospital for 24 hours. During this time, the patient must be examined by a psychiatrist. This examination can have a few outcomes: The patient does meet the criteria for involuntary detention and can be detained for 28 days under a Form 6. The patient is deemed to have a mental illness and agrees to treatment...this may lead to a voluntary admission, or the person may be discharged as an involuntary patient on a community treatment order (Form 10).The psychiatrist may believe that he needs more time to examine the patient, so may detain the person for a further 72 hours for further examination (Form 4). Finally, the patient may be deemed to not have a mental illness and be discharged. this is explained in Sec 43 of the act.
Whilst matters communicated to the doctor may be taken into consideration when considering a referral ("I am concerned for their well being"), the referrer must actually examine the patient and fulfill the requirements of section 26....the mental health review board and office of chief psychiatrist would be very very unhappy otherwise!!
So to summarize: Cousins may well have been referred for examination and may have been discharged after he agreed to voluntary treatment. He may have been examined and found to not have a mental illness, or he may well be released on a community treatment order. I dont know, you dont know....

Last edited:
Wel
The term "sectioned" is rarely used in WA...We use voluntary or involuntary status in reference to mental health patients. I can tell you that a family member saying "I am concerned for their well being", will NOT always lead to a person becoming an involuntary patient!...in fact, the legal aspects of someone becoming an involuntary patient are quite complex. it starts with an authorized mental health practitioner or doctor suspecting that someone HAS a mental illness....not only that, but the person must be a risk to themselves or others and must be refusing treatment. After suspecting this and meeting this criteria, the person may then be referred under Sec 26 and 28 of the Mental health Act (1996, but soon to be replaced by the 2014 act). This allows the person to be detained in an Authorized hospital for 24 hours. During this time, the patient must be examined by a psychiatrist. This examination can have a few outcomes: The patient does meet the criteria for involuntary detention and can be detained for 28 days under a Form 6. The patient is deemed to have a mental illness and agrees to treatment...this may lead to a voluntary admission, or the person may be discharged as an involuntary patient on a community treatment order (Form 10).The psychiatrist may believe that he needs more time to examine the patient, so may detain the person for a further 72 hours for further examination (Form 4). Finally, the patient may be deemed to not have a mental illness and be discharged. this is explained in Sec 43 of the act.
Whilst matters communicated to the doctor may be taken into consideration when considering a referral ("I am concerned for their well being"), the referrer must actually examine the patient and fulfill the requirements of section 26....the mental health review board and office of chief psychiatrist would be very very unhappy otherwise!!
So to summarize: Cousins may well have been referred for examination and may have been discharged after he agreed to voluntary treatment. He may have been examined and found to not have a mental illness, or he may well be released on a community treatment order. I dont know, you dont know....
Well, maybe we know. Who knows!

Mental illness is mental illness, like Shupe pointed out. Just because someone uses drugs doesn't mean they don't have a mental illness. Cousins may well have dug his own grave, I'm not arguing that point. But his behaviour has been typical of both. Even if drugs contribute to or create a mental illness, it doesn't change the fact that it's still a mentally ill person. You seem to think we are excusing him, we aren't. We are saying that if a person breaks their leg jumping off a a house yes it's their own doing, but it's still a broken leg.

I guess if a person keeps jumping off the same house and breaking the same leg over and over...eventually people would say it's their own fault.

Millions have 'bipolar or something' who don't take drugs and become dangers to society.

Wrong. A lot of people who have bi-polar self-medicate with drugs and/or alcohol. And unless Ben crashes into another car on one of 20km/h police chases, he's a danger to himself and not society.

http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20274277,00.html

The mood swings, mania, panic, and deep depression experienced by people with bipolar disorder are hard enough to bear. But according to a 1990 study, 56% of bipolar patients also have a substance abuse problem, which can make treatment even more difficult.

I don't care if it's 'instinctual' for him or not. Drugs are a choice. Becoming addicted is not excuse to keep going. You stop. It's that easy. I'd know, it used to be me!!

Meth and Herion are similar in ways yet very different, heroin is warm and fuzzy content euphoria, meth is jump out a plane, balls to the wall feel good. Depends whether you want to nod out and chill (heroin) or charge through a weekend (meth). Meth is so much worse for your mental health dude. Different personalities and character will want one or the other or both, depends man. You mention you were a junkie for 10 years I would say thats how long Ben has been struggling with it as well. So you didn't ''man up'' straight away and quit when you knew you had an issue did you? But you sure like to Grandstand other addicts...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he admits to ecstasy during highschool

Someone on my Facebook updated they saw him playing with one of his kids at a daycare centre and looked well

The only thing you have said that makes any sense is abstaining form drugs is the best way to stop doing them. derka derka. So you were basically a piece of s**t for 10 years aswell, wasting your life with a stooge drug in heroin. You then heap s**t on a drug addict who hasn't been/wasn't a drug addict as long as yourself? :thumbsu:

The only thing you have said that makes any sense is abstaining form drugs is the best way to stop doing them. derka derka. So you were basically a piece of s**t for 10 years aswell, wasting your life with a stooge drug in heroin. You then heap s**t on a drug addict who hasn't been/wasn't a drug addict as long as yourself? :thumbsu:
Lol :D He's been using twice as long as I did, but who's counting ;)

Wrong. A lot of people who have bi-polar self-medicate with drugs and/or alcohol. And unless Ben crashes into another car on one of 20km/h police chases, he's a danger to himself and not society.

http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20274277,00.html
Yeah, and even more DON'T. If he's in society, he's a danger to it genius. Just because he hasn't hurt anyone yet, doesn't mean he's not. Not to mention what he's doing to his family of course.

East Fremantle was his WAFL club.

Sorry got him confused with his old man for a sec.

Even worse, we all know that shark park is a cesspool of human scum! If only he had been to a fine upstanding club like Souths we might have saved his soul :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back