Rumour ben cousins been missing for 1 month...

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
His problems are self inflicted but it is still a very very sad story ... to have no sympathy for him and his family is pretty cold .
I refuse to believe that the AFL didn't know he had a huge problem, but with what appears to be their policy with high profile players is that they sweep it under the rug as they don't want the AFL brand damaged, and for me they sacrifice the players for the corporate dollar

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I refuse to believe that the AFL didn't know he had a huge problem, but with what appears to be their policy with high profile players is that they sweep it under the rug as they don't want the AFL brand damaged, and for me they sacrifice the players for the corporate dollar
Can't disagree with that .

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
So that begs question, how did he not test positive positive from drugs when it clear he's had drug problems for years?
Or perhaps it speaks volume's for the AFL drug policy or lack of it

The drug testing policy was different for most of his playing days, there is also a pretty big difference between what he appears to be doing post career to his playing days.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
The drug testing policy was different for most of his playing days, there is also a pretty big difference between what he appears to be doing post career to his playing days.
Would you agree with me thou that the AFL must have known about his drug problems even then?, but obviously they got worse when he retired, and refused to take action in case it damaged the AFL brand and affected their corporate dollar.
If they didn't know they must have been living in cave as it was common knowledge among fans.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Would you agree with me thou that the AFL must have known about his drug problems even then?, but obviously they got worse when he retired, and refused to take action in case it damaged the AFL brand and affected their corporate dollar.
If they didn't know they must have been living in cave as it was common knowledge among fans.
The AFL did indeed know as he used the ''self reporting ' loophole to continually evade responsibility

The AFL would make note of it and send him off to ''have counselling'' and repeat ad infinitum

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
The AFL did indeed know as he used the ''self reporting ' loophole to continually evade responsibility

The AFL would make note of it and send him off to ''have counselling'' and repeat ad infinitum
So in a nutshell the AFL kept putting their heads in the sand hoping the problem would go away

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
What are you saying?
The AFL should guess how bad his problem was, remember there was no positive test.

The club he played for denied there was a problem.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
What are you saying?
The AFL should guess how bad his problem was, remember there was no positive test.

The club he played for denied there was a problem.
Clearly the club lied and should have been punished somehow.
Clearly the AFL didn't want to deal with the problem in case if affected the corporate dollar going into their coffers.
Lets not forget that the 3 strike rule was in my opinion really brought in to cover the drug problems in the game

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Clearly the club lied and should have been punished somehow.
Clearly the AFL didn't want to deal with the problem in case if affected the corporate dollar going into their coffers.
Lets not forget that the 3 strike rule was in my opinion really brought in to cover the drug problems in the game
You say clearly twice, surely if it's so clear, you have proof of this?

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

like the tried to sweep away the essendon saga

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
You say clearly twice, surely if it's so clear, you have proof of this?
Well it was common knowledge among fans at the games, so obviously i come to the conclusion that you didn't go to games when cousins was playing.
I guess you are one of those who believe Essendon did nothing wrong either.
Wake up and smell the coffee mate. The AFL will throw players under the bus to protect the AFL brand to keep them corporate dollars rolling in. Players are secondary to the AFL when its a toss up between the dollar and the players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well it was common knowledge among fans at the games, so obviously i come to the conclusion that you didn't go to games when cousins was playing.
I guess you are one of those who believe Essendon did nothing wrong either.
Wake up and smell the coffee mate. The AFL will throw players under the bus to protect the AFL brand to keep them corporate dollars rolling in. Players are secondary to the AFL when its a toss up between the dollar and the players
No, you said the AFL knew, come on, you must give us something better than this crap.

Tell us how the AFL knew how bad Ben Cousins drug problem was?

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
No, you said the AFL knew, come on, you must give us something better than this crap.

Tell us how the AFL knew how bad Ben Cousins drug problem was?
Well us fans knew and nothing escapes the AFL ears.
The fact of the matter is the AFL have a broom, sweep rug policy when it come to bad news about the game which might affect the corporate dollar. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

Absolutely, the AFL were aware, but I dont know if they were aware of more than rumours? I think people forget this was largely before the time everyone had an smart phone and social media. Think of all the scandals now...there is usually evidence and it ends up public...as far as I remember, there was not one Eagles incident in that era with photo or video.

I was living in Melbourne for the late 00's and it felt like every week there was a player doing something scandalous...Fev peeing on walls, Collingwood players in cars etc.

I just dont recall the same number of scandals around the Eagles at that time. There was a couple of notable ones, Cousins breaking Kerr's arm on a Mad Monday.

Some people will argue it was all covered up but I dont buy that, you only have to look at Collingwood in that same timeframe and they werent able to cover similar things up.

I want to make it clear, I'm in no way defending the Eagles or anyone, I just think it is very easy to look at Cousins now and extrapolate what he must have been like back then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back