Rumour ben cousins been missing for 1 month...

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Cousins looks like he's had a rough life. 10 years ago when I watched his first documentary 'such is life' I could tell he loved the drugs and wasn't willing to give them up. You could just see his face light up talking about them. At that stage he still had his charisma and looked like an athlete. What I didn't get and still don't understand is the psychiatrists. Why keep telling somebody that they're going to be an addict for life and everyday will be a battle!? Do we do that to smokers? As an ex-smoker I didn't tell myself I would be a smoker for life and I would be battling cigarettes everyday. The reality is that each day gets easier the longer you don't smoke. Same with drinking. Eventually you just have no desire for it. Yet when it comes to drugs the message seems to be that you'll always be an addict...

I watched the show last night and it's sad seeing Ben Cousins walking around with his backpacks full of possessions and having no fixed address. He doesn't even have the confidence to say he can't guarantee that he won't be back in jail again, let alone use ice. To me he looks broken and scattered. If losing millions, spending 20 months in jail, having no/limited access to his kids and a broken relationship with his family isn't enough to hit rock bottom I have no idea what is! 10 years ago I would've said the world was still at his feet. Everyone loves a redemption story and he would've been welcomed with open arms into a media role or in a football department somewhere. Even in the last couple of years he still had that chance when West Coast gave him a part-time role but he was unreliable and couldn't keep the commitment. These days even if he could get clean he's fried and I'm not sure whether the brain can ever really recover.

Long-term effects may include:
  • addiction
  • psychosis, including:
    • paranoia
    • hallucinations
    • repetitive motor activity
  • changes in brain structure and function
  • deficits in thinking and motor skills
  • increased distractibility
  • memory loss
  • aggressive or violent behavior
  • mood disturbances
  • severe dental problems
  • weight loss

Watched it, obviously you’ve gotta have sympathy for people who’ve suffered addiction. Meth literally eats away at your brain, and there’s explanations for the behaviour of users and addicts - but it doesn’t make it okay - it makes people evil. I’ve known a couple people like this. Endless sympathy and patience doesn’t come naturally when someone is like that.

I think Cousins is too far gone, and to be honest it seems like he wasn’t a great guy before meth - takes no accountability for his actions - is a danger to his ex - was genuinely concerning how his demeanour changed when he was talking about her and his other family. But there is zero insight into how he got himself into that position. If I were his ex I wouldn’t want him around their kids either.

He is mentally cooked. There were times where it was as if he was on delay when responding to questions. Call me cynical, but I saw that as a cash grab attempt purely because the drugs have completely enveloped his life and his thinking process

Took a different view of the delay but I'm still hoping Benny pulls through, for his family most of all.

My hope is he understands putting an optimistic answer out there has been heard by the many that are close to him, not for us watching on.

I live in hope for the day he attends a Brownlow night ..... hope that his phone has run hot offering a hit of tennis.

Watched it, obviously you’ve gotta have sympathy for people who’ve suffered addiction. Meth literally eats away at your brain, and there’s explanations for the behaviour of users and addicts - but it doesn’t make it okay - it makes people evil. I’ve known a couple people like this. Endless sympathy and patience doesn’t come naturally when someone is like that.

I think Cousins is too far gone, and to be honest it seems like he wasn’t a great guy before meth - takes no accountability for his actions - is a danger to his ex - was genuinely concerning how his demeanour changed when he was talking about her and his other family. But there is zero insight into how he got himself into that position. If I were his ex I wouldn’t want him around their kids either.

I've seen the wounded father every bit as bad with no drugs involved - unless I knew the detail I'm not judging on that count.

Far out some of you guys are a tough crowd, wasn't the best doco but far from the train wreck you make it out to be.
That stuff in the car about his ex and family, anyone who's had dealings with the bias leanings of family courts towards one parent over another would know where that outburst comes from, plenty of people without addictions have lost their s**t over that subject.
Im not making excuses for Ben, he knows what he's done wrong but ffs, he hasn't killed anyone that we know of, give the guy a break, no one is beyond help if they're prepared to open up to it and no one is worth giving up on if you have patience.
You cant force change on an addict, you can only encourage them to realise that its worth the effort.
I think he might surprise a few people and rise to the occasion, he'll never be what he could have been, but what ever he makes of life I hope he's content with his lot.

Far out some of you guys are a tough crowd, wasn't the best doco but far from the train wreck you make it out to be.
That stuff in the car about his ex and family, anyone who's had dealings with the bias leanings of family courts towards one parent over another would know where that outburst comes from, plenty of people without addictions have lost their s**t over that subject.
Im not making excuses for Ben,
I disagree. Now first up, I didnt watch the doco so this is on your comments and his general approach to life as i see it

If you think the courts or anybody are biased against Ben then your as cooked as he is

Its as obvious as anything he cannot and does not want to step up and be a parent let alone an adult. Thats not on the courts. Thats 100% on Ben

I disagree. Now first up, I didnt watch the doco so this is on your comments and his general approach to life as i see it

If you think the courts or anybody are biased against Ben then your as cooked as he is

Its as obvious as anything he cannot and does not want to step up and be a parent let alone an adult. Thats not on the courts. Thats 100% on Ben

You didnt watch it ....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not making excuses for Ben, he knows what he's done wrong but ffs, he hasn't killed anyone that we know of, give the guy a break, no one is beyond help if they're prepared to open up to it and no one is worth giving up on if you have patience.
You cant force change on an addict, you can only encourage them to realise that its worth the effort.
I think he might surprise a few people and rise to the occasion, he'll never be what he could have been, but what ever he makes of life I hope he's content with his lot.
Family courts don’t tend to look too kindly on serial drug abusers when it comes to these matters.
“That outburst”, as you refer to it, comes from sustained drug abuse. Your defense of him is inexcusable.

What was Fyfe doing in it? Seemed completely pointless game of tennis, no meaningful conversation or anything to add. I'm not sure why an intelligent guy like Fyfe signed up for this.

I think Fyfe was just showing what an outrageous hipster he is using a wooden tennis racquet from the 1950s?

Ben Cousins looks like he's had a rough life. 10 years ago when I watched his first documentary 'such is life' I could tell he loved the drugs and wasn't willing to give them up. You could just see his face light up talking about them. At that stage he still had his charisma and looked like an athlete. What I didn't get and still don't understand is the psychiatrists. Why keep telling somebody that they're going to be an addict for life and everyday will be a battle!? Do we do that to smokers? As an ex-smoker I didn't tell myself I would be a smoker for life and I would be battling cigarettes everyday. The reality is that each day gets easier the longer you don't smoke. Same with drinking. Eventually you just have no desire for it. Yet when it comes to drugs the message seems to be that you'll always be an addict...

I watched the show last night and it's sad seeing Ben Cousins walking around with his backpacks full of possessions and having no fixed address. He doesn't even have the confidence to say he can't guarantee that he won't be back in jail again, let alone use ice. To me he looks broken and scattered. If losing millions, spending 20 months in jail, having no/limited access to his kids and a broken relationship with his family isn't enough to hit rock bottom I have no idea what is! 10 years ago I would've said the world was still at his feet. Everyone loves a redemption story and he would've been welcomed with open arms into a media role or in a football department somewhere. Even in the last couple of years he still had that chance when West Coast gave him a part-time role but he was unreliable and couldn't keep the commitment. These days even if he could get clean he's fried and I'm not sure whether the brain can ever really recover.

Long-term effects may include:
  • addiction
  • psychosis, including:
    • paranoia
    • hallucinations
    • repetitive motor activity
  • changes in brain structure and function
  • deficits in thinking and motor skills
  • increased distractibility
  • memory loss
  • aggressive or violent behavior
  • mood disturbances
  • severe dental problems
  • weight loss

I feel sorry for Ben and the thousands of addicts like him. We the general public don’t understand addiction, we struggle to help the addicted, and we scorn those who have succumb to these drugs and how they make them behave, instead of having pity on them.

I’d like to unleash Ben during one of his violent rages onto the Mokbel’s of our society.

What was Fyfe doing in it? Seemed completely pointless game of tennis, no meaningful conversation or anything to add. I'm not sure why an intelligent guy like Fyfe signed up for this.

He’s contracted to Seven west media. He appears on 7 news weekly. Just cross promotion.
Same as Nick Nat. But at least there is a somewhat loose connection there. Number 9.

He’s contracted to Seven west media. He appears on 7 news weekly. Just cross promotion.
Same as Nick Nat. But at least there is a somewhat loose connection there. Number 9.
The Fyfe thing was weird and Fyfe didn't look interested at all.

I assume it was to highlight what Ben used to be...??

I feel sorry for Ben and the thousands of addicts like him. We the general public don’t understand addiction, we struggle to help the addicted, and we scorn those who have succumb to these drugs and how they make them behave, instead of having pity on them.

I’d like to unleash Ben during one of his violent rages onto the Mokbel’s of our society.
It was his choice. Nobody held a gun to his head

Remove this Banner Ad

Back