News Ben Cousins in the news again. 10 years on and it still continues. (2016 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone actually read the article? He dropped a vehicle off and his children ran out to see him and she allegedly approached Ben to "join" them. Court waiting for her account. Regardless of what happen the cops and media are constantly gunning for the guy.

As a former copper the way the some applicants in VRO's behave really annoys me. They get the order out against the defendant and then when it suits them proceed to call, text, invite them over to see the kids...all of which puts the defendant in breach automatically. Then when it doesn't suit them eg an argument or whatever the call the police to report the person in breach. The police have no choice but to take action but it's hardly fair.

I think in such circumstances the VRO should be cancelled as they are not a toy to be used by applicants to suit themselves...they are an all or nothing proposition. I think in this case last time it occurred was that she had invited Ben around and they then had a disagreement. She shouldn't be inviting him around at all...or even contacting him as it puts him in breach.

Did anyone actually read the article? He dropped a vehicle off and his children ran out to see him and she allegedly approached Ben to "join" them. Court waiting for her account. Regardless of what happen the cops and media are constantly gunning for the guy.

I think it's probably time to stop giving Ben the benefit of the doubt by default. He must be a genuinely scary proposition for anyone to deal with these days. If Ben said something about anything would you stake your life on it being true? Or even 10 bucks for that matter?

Also the article states this happened hours after Ben failed to appear in court for one of his many other stuff ups. This does not scream trustworthy.

I think it's probably time to stop giving Ben the benefit of the doubt by default. He must be a genuinely scary proposition for anyone to deal with these days. If Ben said something about anything would you stake your life on it being true? Or even 10 bucks for that matter?

Also the article states this happened hours after Ben failed to appear in court for one of his many other stuff ups. This does not scream trustworthy.

Most of the trouble he has got himself into has been self inflicted but in this specific case its not clear he deliberately violated the order or his ex was welding the order as a weapon. Time will tell.

Most of the trouble he has got himself into has been self inflicted but in this specific case its not clear he deliberately violated the order or his ex was welding the order as a weapon. Time will tell.

It may turn out that way, but all I'm saying is it's not the most likely outcome given what we know about Ben. There's a good reason the judge didn't grant bail without hearing the other parties story first. Ben is the very definition of an unreliable witness.

..the stories of Ben being a total C..t at school well before being a gun afl player seem very plausible . A phenomenal player...his mental fortitude got us up and over against the crows in 2006 before going on to win the GF. On that day it was obvious he had a unique ability to push himself to a level that is simply not obtainable for most. A champion player for sure.

A destructive individual . ...also for sure.

Hes made his choices. Only Ben can fix this.

I think in such circumstances the VRO should be cancelled as they are not a toy to be used by applicants to suit themselves...they are an all or nothing proposition. I think in this case last time it occurred was that she had invited Ben around and they then had a disagreement. She shouldn't be inviting him around at all...or even contacting him as it puts him in breach.

WA lawyer here. The person subject to the VRO can apply to the court in circumstances like this to have the VRO annulled.

For those of you that are interested, Ben is facing some jail time this time. He's been charged with a 'schedule two' offence (Breach of a VRO) while already released to the community on bail for a prior offence. The WA Bail Act provides that the Court can only grant bail to a person who has been charged a 'schedule two' offence while on bail in 'exceptional circumstances'

From the sounds of it, Magistrate Hawkins wants to hear from his ex-partner. Unless she digs Ben out of this hole tomorrow, her Honor will have no option other than to keep him in remand till his trial. Probably a few months at least.

Ben appeared in court today without his lawyer. Either theyve ceased acting for him for some reason (Financial or otherwise), or he's given them the flick.

I see this all the time. Meth is a killer of a drug. He should be working over here in the media with a nice six-figure salary and money rolling in from investment properties from his playing days. Instead hes broke and spending Christmas in remand.

It's just so sad.

The Club should fund a rehab or drug awareness centre in return for negligence with their players in 2000s

Surely they have enough money. Will fix their image somewhat

Note to Ben's drug dealers. They're watching.

Whoever the person(s) are that continue to supply him are, they are complete oxygen thieves

This guys life is going down the shitter and he has people that love him doing their best to help prevent that but they're undermined by these campaigners that continue to feed his habit

******* low lifes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whoever the person(s) are that continue to supply him are, they are complete oxygen thieves

This guys life is going down the shitter and he has people that love him doing their best to help prevent that but they're undermined by these campaigners that continue to feed his habit

******* low lifes

Mate if it was up to me, trafficking would get you a 20 year minimum, and sell + supply a five-year minimum. I'd also open up secure rehab facilities, and impose mandatory 3 month detention in them and rehab for people caught in possession of smaller amounts. Get caught a second time and its off to real prison.

There would also be a special meth hotline to dob in a friend, with rewards for dobbing in traffickers and dealers.

It's harsh, but the cost of this drug to Society cannot be overstated. Policing, VROs and family violence and breakdown, public health, the list goes on. It is ruining so many lives.

It makes the heroin epidemic in Melbourne in the late 80s early 90s look like a walk in the park.

Mate if it was up to me, trafficking would get you a 20 year minimum, and sell + supply a five-year minimum. I'd also open up secure rehab facilities, and impose mandatory 3 month detention in them and rehab for people caught in possession of smaller amounts. Get caught a second time and its off to real prison.

There would also be a special meth hotline to dob in a friend, with rewards for dobbing in traffickers and dealers.

It's harsh, but the cost of this drug to Society cannot be overstated. Policing, VROs and family violence and breakdown, public health, the list goes on. It is ruining so many lives.

It makes the heroin epidemic in Melbourne in the late 80s early 90s look like a walk in the park.
Just imagine what it must be like working in the Emergency Dept of the major hospitals where they get inundated with Ice users who are admitted in a bad way! It would be challenging to say the least.

The Club should fund a rehab or drug awareness centre in return for negligence with their players in 2000s

Surely they have enough money. Will fix their image somewhat
The Club didn't force any of the players to take drugs!! It's like being a Parent if one of your kids get caught up with the wrong crowd and get into taking drugs. Do you blame the Parents should this happen? The only ones to blame are the kids themselves - all you can do is try and steer them in the right direction. That's also all any Club can do. We are all in charge of our own destiny as harsh as it may sound.

..the stories of Ben being a total C..t at school well before being a gun afl player seem very plausible . A phenomenal player...his mental fortitude got us up and over against the crows in 2006 before going on to win the GF. On that day it was obvious he had a unique ability to push himself to a level that is simply not obtainable for most. A champion player for sure.

A destructive individual . ...also for sure.

Hes made his choices. Only Ben can fix this.

I went to school with Cuz for 6 years. He certainly wasn't a c..t. He was a pretty good bloke. He hung out with some pretty dodgy types away from school though. I

I haven't seen him much since, but we had a 20-year reunion last year and he was in great form. I had a good chat with him and got the impression he was really back on track. Nekminnit stealing old mate's motor bike on Canning Bridge.

******* low lifes

That's drug dealers for you.

Lucky boy. Her Honor heard the charge then and there instead of remanding him off to custody for trial.

Cops made an application to have his former bail revoked from the sounds of it, and it didnt get up.

Different lawyer too.

*s sake Ben, stay away from her and get your s**t sorted out.

From the new article it sounds like the cops arrested him without his former partner making a complaint. Cops are certainly gunning for him it would seem and are looking for an excuse to get his bail revoked.

I went to school with Cuz for 6 years. He certainly wasn't a c..t. He was a pretty good bloke. He hung out with some pretty dodgy types away from school though. I

I haven't seen him much since, but we had a 20-year reunion last year and he was in great form. I had a good chat with him and got the impression he was really back on track. Nekminnit stealing old mate's motor bike on Canning Bridge.

Yup, without giving too much away, my old man and his are acquaintances through footy, so knew Ben a bit back in the day, even had a few drinks and whatnot with him out and about and he's not a s**t bloke, just very messed up.

Magistrate Jennifer Hawkins..sounds like bizarre spin off of 'I'm a celebrity, get me outta here'

As said...Cuz the player is just phenomenal . ..but he must take responsibility for his actions. I lost an important person in my life to drugs, and that is brutal. No one wants Cuz to leave us but as Brauny said, Cuz wont get better unless he makes the call that its time to change. Some addicts can do that, unfortunately many cannot. As a Wce fan and admirer of Cuz the player i hope he has his moment where he makes the better choice.

From what i have heard, Cuzs decision making has been poor since well before his WCE time.
Sad.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/33454449/ben-cousins-fined-after-guilty-plea-to-vro-breach/

Cousins released after pleading guilty and paying a fine for an offence on what the judge described as being on the minor end of the scale

Cousins is very much the architect of his own problems but the police aren't really helping by arresting him each time he so much as sneezes the wrong way. He was in a park with his kids ffs
Agreed....and feel for Ben in a form. However, hes surrounded by gear, and paraphernalia . ..more than likely most of the time....so
...its probably likey that Ben shouldnt be on that park with his kids. Not saying he doesnt love them, but until he straightens up, he is a risk to all around himself .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back