Ben Cousins in trouble - suffers fall in hospital

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If ever the expression FUBAR was warranted, i think this may be it. As much as id love Cousins to get on the straight and narrow I have a horrible feeling that he is too addicted to the really hard stuff and at some point will overdose.

In his book he talks about justifying his drug use by performing well on the field and training his guts out. How does he justify his drug use now? Every time he changes a nappy he gets to snort a line? As ridiculous as that sounds, it actually might not be that far from the truth for someone as addicted as he is.

He has all the support anyone addicted could possibly want, but it appears as even that might not be enough. Really hope that one day i dont pick up the newspaper and find his death as the front headline, but you get the feeling it is inevitable. :(

mr-mackey-mr-mackey-south-park-demotivational-poster-1217430654.jpg

Drugs are great according to a lot of Eagles fans it seems, despite the loss they have felt due to their use.

What an odd comment. It's not just Eagles fans in this boat.

Old Skool is spot on about the method that's needed in order to beat addiction.

Have had relatives who were heroin addicts, and through repetition and distancing themselves from the toxic people in their surroundings, it works.

One was able to beat it by heading up to Gippsland to stay with family friends and literally helped on the farm and taught himself the acoustic guitar. (The numerous scales and all.)

However, Ben Cousins inner circle must have knew this was coming. Psychosis with past addicts, can occur without drug relapse. Mental afflictions and illness from prolonged use of most drugs often speed up brain cell decay.

For one of the many reasons, this is why I support drug legalisation, in that instead of having some dickweed dealer in the middle of surburbia cutting his dope with an array of awful stuff such as bleach, it can be produced in a controlled manner in a sterile enviroment.

I live in the Western Suburbs of Melbourne. I've seen myself what's happened due to the prohibition. These already vile people arm themselves in public, often injuring innocent bystanders at train stations and shops. Add the competition of other drug gangs, and fantastic, there's a truckload of assaults and other felonies/crimes against the person to deal with.

It's absurd. This is where government interference is needed. You can't outright ban this stuff because you end up creating a market that is too lucrative. It's a low to medium socio-economic area, with dropout rates and graduation rates in the mid-low to mid range for both Victoria and Australia. Your choice is this; without an education and with the rising cost of living. You can A) Get a job for $15 bucks an hour in retail around here, B) Exploit a market that has no regulation, endure the associated risks of dealing and therefore the $$$ is there for the taking.

Good points, i've seen a few in the north take the same route,things in common with all of them, lazy, didn't listen at school and poorly parented so they take the easy option of dealing drugs because they're heroes and deep down lazy! the opportunity is there for everybody in Australia (western suburbs of Melb and Sydney included) to get a an education or a trade and earn a great living the honest way, but at the end of the day they're serving a market which can make them shitloads of money and they're dropkicks who have "chosen" to be so, plenty of people from low socio economic backgrounds who rise above and more often than not too.

So we legalise heroin, ice, g, cocaine etc, go to the shop and buy it for 30 bucks and all get high, before we know it we're all.....addicts??? That's the issue addiction will still occur unfortunately, don't get me wrong i'd love for drug dealers to have to go back to school but how can you prevent addiction when it's legal???

Besides the cops would have nothing to do and the government would have thousands of corrupt cops out of work, cops are like hedge fund traders, they make money going up and money going down, in other words they get a clip both sides from the law and from the outlaws and they don't put their hands in the pocket either side! The problem in all this is money corrupts all!!! Ice is way more addictive than most other drugs, won't make you overdose (generally) like heroin can, is expensive (1k a gram) and dealers love selling it to junkies who can't get enough and the numbers are growing by the day!!! Therefore it will be illegal for time immemorial because more junkies = more money for dealers during the week instead of a spike on Saturdays and more blind eye money for coppers...

In short educate your kids on the levels of drug use, the pitfalls of all drugs and hope to god they use some common sense if they make the choice to dabble which in all likelihood in the year 2012 is a high probability.

Maybe your cognitive ability is severely lacking, go and look up the word " Illicit" and get back to us .

Tell me how the fact that drinking is legal means anything health wise. It's a historical accident. If alcohol was invented in the 50s, there is no question it would be considered a class A drug and be against the law. You'd be on here saying don't touch the stuff, it will ruin your life.

Booze is a serious drug. If you enjoy it recreationally, fine, but it's in my view hypocritical to support the prohibition on recreational drug use while doing so.

So we legalise heroin, ice, g, cocaine etc, go to the shop and buy it for 30 bucks and all get high....

Yes, heroin in milk bars. Splendid idea.

This is exactly what the anti-prohibition group are proposing.

I'm actually thinking along the lines of chocolate covered oxycontins.

...before we know it we're all.....addicts???

Less than 10% of drug users are addicts.

However, don't let that get in the way of some good propaganda.

Yes, heroin in milk bars. Splendid idea.

This is exactly what the anti-prohibition group are proposing.

I'm actually thinking along the lines of chocolate covered oxycontins.

Less than 10% of drug users are addicts.

However, don't let that get in the way of some good propaganda.

If it's legal it will easily be obtainable, which doctor will prescribe your dose of heroin? Cocaine? If i could get a prescription for Coke and it was under 100 bucks to be honest with you i'd probably be off my head right now, if not now sometime within the next few days! Because it is hard to get, illegal and expensive keeps most people on the straight and narrow, i think you are underestimating how powerful these drugs actually are, how addictive.....

One glass of beer won't render you an alcoholic, one shot of heroin on the other hand has the potential to do so..

If it's legal it will easily be obtainable, which doctor will prescribe your dose of heroin?

A clinic would be the best solution.

Methylphenidate (amphetamine) shows great promise as a management drug for Cocaine addiction.

If i could get a prescription for Coke and it was under 100 bucks to be honest with you i'd probably be off my head right now, if not now sometime within the next few days!

1) Good for you.

2) The overwhelming majority of Cocaine users are recreational users that manage their lives quite well.

Because it is hard to get.....

No, it isn't.

i think you are underestimating how powerful these drugs actually are, how addictive.....

Not only do I understand the issue, I am seeking a more feasible solution to the issue.

One glass of beer won't render you an alcoholic, one shot of heroin on the other hand has the potential to do so..

No, it won't.

You need to turn off your television, put down your newspaper and do some actual scientific and/or real life research.

Portugal decriminalized drugs a decade ago and focused on helping addicts and users instead of calling them losers and chucking them in jail. End result, drug use down, less folks in jail, and no rush of people becoming addicts.
The panic merchants would have us believe that because it's available and not illegal we'd all throw away our lives and become junkies.

You need to turn off your television, put down your newspaper and do some actual scientific and/or real life research.

You mean get out there and get some drugs into you...so which ones should we try first in your opinion ?

I for one will be teaching my kids to abstain from all illicit substances, and only use legal drugs in moderation (if at all)

There are people out there who don't need substances to get through life believe it or not ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Portugal decriminalized drugs a decade ago and focused on helping addicts and users instead of calling them losers and chucking them in jail. End result, drug use down, less folks in jail, and no rush of people becoming addicts.

Not to mention crime rates and contagious diseases.:thumbsu:

The panic merchants would have us believe that because it's available and not illegal we'd all throw away our lives and become junkies.

Ingrained prejudices are a hard thing to shake mate.

I can't think of a drug I couldn't access within one or two phone calls, yet I have chosen to remain drug free (aside from alcohol) for almost 3 years now.

The only times in my life when I have had troubles with the authorities for being under the influence, is when I was drunk.

You mean get out there and get some drugs into you...so which ones should we try first in your opinion ?

This is your choice, not mine.

If you were considering using psychotropic substances then:

1) Lobby the government to make them legal
2) Get a physical examination and inform your doctor.
3) Only ingest pure compounds in a scientifically measured dosage.
4) Put yourself in a comfortable setting with people you can trust.
5) Never take drugs alone and inform the people around you as to which compound and dosage you are utilising.
6) Never mix drugs.

I for one will be teaching my kids to abstain from all illicit substances, and only use legal drugs in moderation (if at all)

This is sensible. However, if you fill their heads up with bullshit, then they are quite likely to go the other way.

Personally, I dont think anyone should try any psychotropic compounds until they are fully developed adults and well in to their 20's.

However, society deems that at 18 years of age you are an adult.

There are people out there who don't need substances to get through life believe it or not ?

I am currently one of those people (drink rarely).

However, I would be lying if I claimed that I have not had wonderful positive experiences with drugs.

As seems to be commonplace in social science, there are diverging views on the outcomes of the Portuguese experiment.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1465-3362.2011.00383.x/pdf

A clinic would be the best solution.

There would be very long lines but some control would be there i guess

Methylphenidate (amphetamine) shows great promise as a management drug for Cocaine addiction.

really?? If that is similar to methamphetamine hard to belive... i've had people who'm i know end up in Jail because of meth and psychotic......a recent event saw a young chap in our local area commit suicide because ice had fried his brain, he probably didn't even know what he was doing....Ice is the devil in dsguise! Worst drug around, it creeps up on people....just ask Cuz!

1) Good for you.

2) The overwhelming majority of Cocaine users are recreational users that manage their lives quite well.

I agree with this, have probably slipped into the category at some point, Cocaine use in moderation won't fry your brain like meth will...if Ben Cousins was a rec cocaine user instead of a meth addict he wouldn't be in this position i.e hiding in cupboards in a mental wasteland!....play with the pipe you'll get burnt!

Meth= Trailor park American mid west garbage that has fried half of the US...It's slowly doing that here...

really?? If that is similar to methamphetamine hard to belive... i've had people who'm i know end up in Jail because of meth and psychotic......a recent event saw a young chap in our local area commit suicide because ice had fried his brain, he probably didn't even know what he was doing....Ice is the devil in dsguise! Worst drug around, it creeps up on people....just ask Cuz!

The major problem with Ice (meth), is that people take too much, don't sleep and don't eat. They are also getting crap in their bodies from clandestine manufacture.

I personally know people that used meth socially on weekends for 20 years, via snorting drinking and intravenous use, with no serious problems, who then went loopy after picking up the glass pipe.

Methylphenidate shows promise because it is weaker and longer acting than cocaine and relieves the impulsivity associated with meth and cocaine addiction.

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/addiction/issues/ritalin.html
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/726392
http://www.nature.com/npp/journal/v36/n1/full/npp2010145a.html
http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/1983-31073-001
http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/1998-04668-005

The right amount equates to medicine, the wrong amount equates to poison.

I agree with this, have probably slipped into the category at some point, Cocaine use in moderation won't fry your brain like meth will...if Ben Cousins was a rec cocaine user instead of a meth addict he wouldn't be in this position i.e hiding in cupboards in a mental wasteland!....play with the pipe you'll get burnt!

Meth= Trailor park American mid west garbage that has fried half of the US...It's slowly doing that here...

Cocaine will mess you up just as badly if you abuse it long enough.

Crack addicts are just as troubled as Ice addicts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back