Jables

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NY Giants, Hornets, Bulls
This won't be popular but why should all footy people feel sorry for Ben??

He was a super player yes but he always came across arrogant and a douche from my memories growing up watching him. Why should we care more about him than most other players who were actually much better people and citizens?

He got himself into this position. Everyone acts like "oh why didn't people help him?" And "how sad it got this far" etc

He never once helped himself get out of it. I understand addiction and it eventually takes over you and that is sad but ffs he brought this on himself.

Why should I feel sorry for a guy who initially CHOSE to live the party life with drugs and beautiful women. Plenty other players chose the right path or knew when things were getting out of hand. Good on them. Cousins loved his glamour life too much and it has caught up with him.

I'd much rather feel sorry for the homeless man on the street who never had any of the luxuries that Ben had and has had tragedies in his life that weren't of his doing.

FWIW I feel for Ben's family and close friends. Do I feel sorry for Ben? Nope.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I do feel sorry for him from afar but you're exactly right, I don't know him, but if an adult has kids, is 39 years old and is living the way he is I'd also always have a certain amount of contempt for them. I have a family member that is like him, people like him make as much trouble for their loved ones lives as they do themselves. I don't feel obligated to respect a person because they had great footy skills as a fan, Wayne Carey for example can get stuffed.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I'd recommend the Chris Herren documentary (Unguarded) and book (Basketball Junkie) to anyone who wants to learn more about the subject. I don't bemoan anyone close to Cousins giving up on him by this stage, but I think there's always hope that they can turn it around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back