Player Watch Ben Crocker (Delisted 2019, Pies VFL 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

FWIW... Ben reminds me of a smaller, forward playing Nick Maxwell. Even the looks and body shape are similar. No big weapons, but a lot of desire and maybe some leadership potential. Not saying he will captain a flag, not even saying that he will make it, as his attributes dont exactly suit modern football, its just an observation that I find quite interesting.
Yep and the way our forward line is structured, there’s no room for a player who lacks pace

I nearly swallowed my teeth, surely you are just taking the piss? I fonly he were like Breust

He’s only played his 14th game. He had 5 shots on goals last night. He’s probably playing in the worst forward line in the competition. Maybe he doesn’t have the greatest skills or athleticism, but he most certainly is a smart footballer. He knows when and where to lead, something other Collingwood forwards are clueless about.

He’s only played his 14th game. He had 5 shots on goals last night. He’s probably playing in the worst forward line in the competition. Maybe he doesn’t have the greatest skills or athleticism, but he most certainly is a smart footballer. He knows when and where to lead, something other Collingwood forwards are clueless about.
I here what your saying but we have to move on from wanna bee players, Curnow kicked 5 straight as did Breust, he needs to take all his chances or he will always be just a very average player and god he is slow. It's these non skillfull non athletic players that have been killing us for the last 5 years

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...k/news-story/d770a7ae198965625d689818b9a1a8ed

The young bloke has gone up a notch in my estimations.

I worked in a group home with non verbal adults with severe autism. They needed to be supported and managed every moment of the day - like Ben's father. Very stressful, unpredictable and violent environment... but they were strangers, and ultimately it a paid job.

Having to care for a terminally ill family member who is displaying similar unpredictability violent behaviours and needing total care... that's another level. Add to that the stresses and scrutiny that young footballers now face.

He was also captain on his junior team.
That’s pretty decent.

He is likely learning about life in very trying circumstances and making a go of his lot.

That and he’s known as something of a real character.
And plays with that bit of cheek, front, attitude. But seems channeled in the right way.

He’s going ok too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck to him, must be tough seeing his Dad in that state. Hope he has a decent career.
After a certain age we all lose some of the connectivity of our grey matter, some quickly and some slower. In my mid 60's now and I have trouble with names so need to think carefully about what I am going to say. It's made me slower and more deliberate in my speech - which isn't always a bad thing lol.

So proud of Crocks, the lad has a harder road ahead than most and appears to be facing it with determination and good cheer.

Ben stuck around at the open day last week and signed loads of autographs, after learning about this last night, it makes him sticking around pretty special.
My nan died from Alzheimer's in 2016, it's a truly horrific disease. People who you've known yor whole life no longer know who you are, ask you questions about your job, about your family, then ask you your name. They look confused all the time and basic conversations can stall in an instant. They forget to eat, forget to drink and forget who they are/were. I could be visiting her and go off to the loo, only to have the same conversations I had when I first arrived. It's a mixture of frustration, sadness and disappointment. I remember sitting there silently crying because the woman I'd known and was close to for 30 years now had no idea who I was and asked me why I was there. There is literally no future for the person and it's beyond sad in reality. The toughest moment was leaving her nursing home knowing the next time I would see her was either when she passed or at her funeral, ultimately I was there when she took her last breath, the day before her 84th birthday.
Even if Ben never plays another game for us I will be proud of the young man he is, he is braver than any footballer to run out this weekend. Caring for someone like his father, with his workload and lack of training in the pallative care area are beyond amazing. All the time and emotions of watching my grandmother slowly slip away flooded back last night and I shed a few tears...
Ben will always have my utmost admiration and respect and I hope he gets the help to help his future in all areas of his life, on and off the field. Football is life...but family will always come first.

My first ever girlfriend died last year at 64 after developing early onset dementia around 60 years of age. Fortunately for her she had long since found herself a younger and more selfless man than me. The deterioration in her was rapid. She did not speak for her last year and quickly got restless at social functions. She was in an aged care place 5 days a week for about 3 years. Her partner took her out 3 nights after work and then home on Friday. Looking after her was a full time and thankless task, driving from friend to friend, often driving long distances to help kill time. Physical complications finished her life. Family and friends readily accepted the death because it was largely welcome. The person who had inhabited the shell had pretty much vanished, and her partner deserved a break from the difficulty of caring for her.

My ex's partner devoted his life to her, but maintaining a job and work friends helped sustain him and in the end provided support. I hope Ben plays every game and doesn't forgo his AFL career for caring duties. Without the contrast, his perspective on life could become distorted, focusing only on the needs of his father. Professional carers can fill the void and give the family some relief. The insight will certainly affect the way I view Ben's future games. He's taken on a lot of responsibility and carrying a significant emotional burden, but also playing the best football of his career. Good on him. :)

Last edited:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...k/news-story/d770a7ae198965625d689818b9a1a8ed

The young bloke has gone up a notch in my estimations.

I worked in a group home with non verbal adults with severe autism. They needed to be supported and managed every moment of the day - like Ben's father. Very stressful, unpredictable and violent environment... but they were strangers, and ultimately it a paid job.

Having to care for a terminally ill family member who is displaying similar unpredictability violent behaviours and needing total care... that's another level. Add to that the stresses and scrutiny that young footballers now face.
Just read article
Couldn't agree more with you

After hearing Ben,s heartbreaking family story you can only be proud of having people like this at the club and also being able to concentrate on football at the same time is a massive achievement.
It was very distressing just watching the interview I was in tears,like most people I guess but you come away full of admiration for Ben and the way he conducts himself and you hope like hell he has a successful career,he certainly deserves one.

For those without the access of a paywall, here it is.

b31e5ed2b4e1c5914319fb400daea86f

aa96b9d7d31a30d47a3e78306b31da92

Pie on dad's Alzheimer's fight
AFL NEWS
Collingwood youngster Ben Crocker bravely discusses dad Paul’s early onset Alzheimer’s disease on On the Mark
Max Laughton, FOX SPORTS
April 11, 2018 8:45pm
COLLINGWOOD youngster Ben Crocker has opened up on the difficulties of his father Paul’s early onset Alzheimer’s disease.

Crocker’s father was diagnosed with the chronic degenerative brain disease five years ago in his fifties, with early onset a rarer version of the condition that is the cause of many cases of dementia.

Crocker initially held back on discussing his father’s condition with the Magpies, but last year after speaking with the club’s psychologist decided to reveal it to the playing group as part of Crocker’s own attempt to deal with the circumstances.

Speaking with Fox Footy’s On the Mark, he explained his father’s condition started with memory loss, like forgetting to pick him up from footy training in Year 12, but only increased from there.

“It is sad when I think about it that his involvement now (in my career) is pretty much nothing. He comes to the games but he doesn’t understand what’s going on,” Crocker said.

Dane Swan

✔@swandane

https://twitter.com/swandane/status/984022711784624131

Can’t imagine how tough it was for Ben Crocker to do that interview. Showed more courage and strength than anyone can on a football field.
2764.png

8:57 PM - Apr 11, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

“I can’t see feedback off him, I can’t talk to him about how I played and how he enjoyed the game. The more I think about it, it is a shame that he doesn’t know I’m playing for Collingwood, because I grew up barracking for Collingwood and I know how proud he’d be of me.

“That’s the saddest thing about it — that Dad would be so proud of me. He actually came into the rooms after my first game and that was probably the last memory he would’ve had of me playing footy.

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE OF THE FOX FOOTY PODCAST BELOW, OR TAP HERE TO SUBSCRIBE IN ITUNES

“He loves Eddie McGuire, because he watches Who Wants to be a Millionaire so he loves Eddie, so whenever he comes on he knows it’s Eddie, and he loves Bucks.

“But it is sad when I think about that he doesn’t really know what’s going on and I can’t talk to him really about anything, so that’s hard to deal with.”

Crocker and his family all help care for Paul, which the Magpie understandably finds difficult.

“I’m not going to lie, it’s really tough, and I don’t enjoy it at all. It is really hard and you’ve got to build strength around it,” he said.

“There’s times when he gets really agitated and I might be coming off an eight-hour day at the club and I’m absolutely knackered, and I fall asleep on the couch and I don’t watch him for 10 minutes and something can go wrong.

Rebecca Maddern

✔@RebeccaMaddern9

https://twitter.com/RebeccaMaddern9/status/984022452815781888

Ben Crocker from @CollingwoodFC well done for telling your story about your dad who is suffering early onset Alzheimer’s. Very courageous indeed. All the best to your family. Well done @Neroli_M_FOX for bringing that to us.

8:56 PM - Apr 11, 2018

“He obviously needs help going to the toilet and stuff like that so I’ve had a few instances where I’ve fallen asleep and he’s accidentally gone to the toilet in the living room or something like that. Those are probably the moments for me where I sit back and go, wow, I can’t believe this has happened.

“You tend to get a bit upset but you’ve just got to find a way to deal with it — you can’t be a sook about it, constantly thinking about the negatives isn’t going to get you very far.”

5a7946af477ebe0a2409cd24d476aa1b

Ben Crocker celebrates a goal for Collingwood. (Photo by Michael Dodge/Getty Images)
As Crocker’s father battles the condition, he has had psychotic episodes, which Crocker has had to deal with while also embarking on his AFL career.

“He has episodes where he doesn’t know who his own reflection is, so he shouts in the mirror and gets pretty violent,” Crocker said.

“That’s something I’ve never grown up around, he’s never been violent. The other day was the first time he didn’t know who I was or thought I’d done something to him, so he was quite violent towards me.

“He’s starting to swear a bit now which sometimes is funny but when he’s coming at you and swearing at you and trying to punch you and stuff, it’s something that’s not natural. I don’t think any kid would want that happening to him.”

LIVE stream the 2018 Toyota AFL Premiership on FOX SPORTS. Get your free 2-week trial >. If you’re overseas, you can still stream it LIVE on Watch AFL >

View image on Twitter

Collingwood FC

✔@CollingwoodFC

https://twitter.com/CollingwoodFC/status/984021898802683905

Sensational job on #OnTheMark, Crock + @Neroli_M_FOX. We're super proud of you
1f44a.png

8:54 PM - Apr 11, 2018

Early on, Crocker did not know how to deal with his father’s condition, and says he is “ashamed” of how he handled it.

“I used to treat him so badly because I thought he was just not quite himself, or maybe just acting a little dumb. That was probably the shakiest bit of our relationship,” he said.

“I was so angry all the time and that effected how I hung out with my friends, how I approached school, the way I talked to Mum as well.

“Looking back on it, it is something I’m a bit ashamed of. If I could give advice to anyone going through the same thing as what I am is just to be open about things and don’t make it about you. I definitely made it about me and how I was feeling.”

3e69cf6fa62a15d7a86425cc674ab078

Crocker captained the Oakleigh Chargers in his draft year. Picture: George Salpigtidis
And Crocker bravely explained to On the Mark how, eventually, this illness will take his father’s life.

“Mum’s been told that this will eventually kill Dad. He will die from this illness,” he said.

“They have said the time frame with people who develop early onset Alzheimer’s is usually about eight to ten years, he’s had it for five now.

“I honestly don’t think about it too much, but I’d be lying if I said that when people ask about Dad that doesn’t come to my mind, because it does.

“And I think the older I get the harder it gets to realise that when I have children and get married, Dad’s probably not going to be around.

“It’s sad to know that my kids and wife isn’t going to meet my Dad because he is such a good person, and he’s been massive in my life. It’d just be telling stories about him. And then you think about Mum, it’s obviously hardest for her, the person that she’s married and loved isn’t going to be around.

“You tend not to talk about is much but there are times ads come on about life insurance and stuff like that, and you kinda sit there in the room and no-one says anything, but you know you’re thinking the same thing.”

Registrations are now open for Dementia Australia’s Memory Walk & Jog. Sign up and help fundraise here.

If you need help or information, call the National Dementia Helpline on 1800 100 500.

Originally published as Brave Magpie reveals Dad’s heartbreaking Alzheimer’s battle

And the video link for the above is here.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-04-12/ben-crockers-inspirational-story.

Jesus Christ that was sad... :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back