Player Watch Ben Crocker (Delisted 2019, Pies VFL 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Generally, good footskills don't come with experience. In the context of our list it's a problem. Happy to be proven wrong in time re Phillips because he is otherwise no mug but I could say the same for Williams, Sinclair, Crocker and plenty of others and that fundamentally is the problem with our list. It cost us again on the weekend.

Footskills do improve with experience, but more importantly so does decision making. Not sure what you're referring to regarding Phillips and Crocker. they both look very neat by foot to me.

Will be interesting second seasons for Crocker Phillips Wills and Smith who have been afforded opportunity (and done well) due to injury

With Ramsay Scharanberg Fasolo Elliott Langdon Sinclair and Thomas all waiting in the wings, competition could be fierce.
Don't forget Sier, turns 19 at the end of the year and could come into consideration with another preseason under his belt.;):thumbsu:

Fair enough. I've just seen a few too many miscues when in motion and poor kicks from stop plays. the former can be partly due to the step up in tempo but the latter is not. More importantly, very good kicks are clear from very early on and that is what we need in the context of our list. More than happy to let a year or two play out as I am for most kids we take on but I'll call it as I see it along the way.

I agree really good kicks stick out like dogs balls.

Watching Crocker closely on Sunday, he looks a bit like Maxy to me in appearance.

Also has that hardness too

He reminds me of a smaller Jack Riewoldt. I think he took a step forward against the Hawks and could really add something to our forward line if he continues to progress.

I think forwards need to have that brashness and want to be a part of it and the natural ones have a tendency to stand up in big games.

3 goals against Hawthorn was a good sign. Kid doesn't hold back and looks like he wants the ball.

I like the look of him as a medium forward.

Had low expectations, so happy with his first year.

Is it me, or does he seem a touch slow for his size....? Affecting his ability to lay forward pressure? Chris Maynes arrival suggests the club will give Crocker an extended run in the VFL this year to develop his game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought he was ordinary in his first few games and improved rapidly. Probably the most improved of our debutants from his early games to his latter games.

(That said others started better and maintained that level).

Looking forward to seeing what he can do. Theres certainly a vacancy in the small forward department but he will have competition with Elliott Broomhead and Fasolo back and WHE joining.

Puts a bit of size on and he could be a handy pinch hit midfielder in couple of years IMO. Looking forward to see what he can bring next season.

I'm really struggling with this one. He has something. He lacks pace for his size and on limited exposure I don't rate his kicking but he can take a mark and I think when he fully adjusts to senior footy he could find plenty of it. Right now I'd say he's a potential Macaffer in that he's a sort of medium forward who mightr get a bigger tank and run on the ball. What we need him to be is a future Cameron Ling. Maccaffer never made that quality leap. Few have but at Crocker's pace he will need to becauee I can't see him surviving solely as medium forward.

I'm really struggling with this one. He has something. He lacks pace for his size and on limited exposure I don't rate his kicking but he can take a mark and I think when he fully adjusts to senior footy he could find plenty of it. Right now I'd say he's a potential Macaffer in that he's a sort of medium forward who mightr get a bigger tank and run on the ball. What we need him to be is a future Cameron Ling. Maccaffer never made that quality leap. Few have but at Crocker's pace he will need to becauee I can't see him surviving solely as medium forward.

I could say the Same about Elliot and Fas at they are really only Smell/Medium Forwards

I could say the Same about Elliot and Fas at they are really only Smell/Medium Forwards
Elliott and Fas have that spark in them though that allows a player to be a permanent forward, and Elliott in particular has good speed which Crocker doesn't.

I have mixed feelings about the kid. I think he's good enough to have a decent career, but I struggle to see where he fits in our 22 without Elliott and Fasolo being injured. Becomes even harder with Broomhead returning and WHE being added.

Elliott and Fas have that spark in them though that allows a player to be a permanent forward, and Elliott in particular has good speed which Crocker doesn't.

I have mixed feelings about the kid. I think he's good enough to have a decent career, but I struggle to see where he fits in our 22 without Elliott and Fasolo being injured. Becomes even harder with Broomhead returning and WHE being added.

So with so many ahead of him at the Moment.

Could he be someone you could see being De-Listed/Traded at Years End?

So with so many ahead of him at the Moment.

Could he be someone you could see being De-Listed/Traded at Years End?
No, I think he's shown enough that unless he goes backwards he'll be retained. At worst he's quality depth.

No, I think he's shown enough that unless he goes backwards he'll be retained. At worst he's quality depth.

IF he stays Depth would he Stay or look for Better Opportunity elsewhere?

I rate Crocker. Knows where the Goals are. Not the Quickest but Is a Very Strong Overhead Mark. Without the Leap of Elliot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back