Player Watch Ben Crocker (Delisted 2019, Pies VFL 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

If this is the case we won't be playing finals footy for a long time. He is a skinny Collingwood six footer who averages 7 or 8 possessions and a goal or so a game. He applies zero defensive pressure and is not a particularly good contested mark. He is not overly quick and is easily outbodied. No thanks. When we were struggling in the eighties a player by the name of Mark beers used to get a regular gig. Crocker reminds me of those bad old days.

Thanks for quoting an opinion that is 9 months old and from before this preseason even started.
I don't think my view changes all that much. Crocker still has the potential to be a decent 16-25 guy. So far he's showing gaps which are no unexpected for a 2nd year guy. Where he sits on our list going forward will depend on the work he puts in, but also what we see from guys like Brown, Daicos and Kirby.

He's a second year player who offers more than a good chunk of the experienced guys.

If he's vanilla, then all our young players are, he's not doing any less than Moore.
That's why we aren't any good though.
Moore is not vanilla he just a KP kid and needs time. Crocker is an in between kid with ordinary kicking skills. The fact he's playing right now is reflective of the state if our list. It's bog ordinary and proof of the folly of premature rebuilding.

Yea just doesn't seem to have any weapons at all. Slow, physically weak, not a strong mark and not a crumber. But the biggest problem seems to be that he just doesn't compete. At least with Callum Brown he competes and fights for every ball and if he doesn't manage to win it, at least holds it up until others arrive. Crocker gets rebounded on at every opportunity.

Don't normally pot young players and know that they won't have the consistency early on (ie I still think Aish, Broomhead, Maynard etc will be great for us) but just don't see any standout features from Crocker that makes you think he can make it.

That's not a bad comparison except that Maccaffer is a better kick.

McAffar was an ok field kick...but a very ordinary set shot at goal. From what I've seen so far...Crocker isnt any better.

Both are horrible set shots...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah guys, all our second year players should be setting the world on fire. It's especially easy for forward flankers to change the course of games...

Crocker hasn't impressed me and I agree with the view that if he's getting a regular game it's a sad reflection of our current forward line stocks, but I wouldn't be writing him off just yet.

As limited as Crocks is....he keeps kicking a goal or two a game and that's what forwards HAVE to base their game on. He's a work in progress (like the rest of our side) but coaches love guys that can kick a goal or two every week.
This is why we've struggled since Jamie Elliott got re-injured. He's a 3-4 goal a week player....he finishes the work of the players downfield and he gives the mids and defenders the confidence to get the ball forward quickly.
When we get 2 or 3 of those 3-4 goal a week forwards or mids THEN we'll be able to climb the ladder again. Until we get dangerous up forward again we won't progress...no matter how hard we try.

I'm not super-bullish on Crocker, but I think the one thing he does have on his side is great positioning. He constantly puts himself in positions where his teammates kick the ball to him. Currently, he hasn't been able to stick many of the chances that have come his way. He's too small, not explosive enough, too easily outcontested. If he can make gains in that side of his game, he'll become a player.

As limited as Crocks is....he keeps kicking a goal or two a game and that's what forwards HAVE to base their game on. He's a work in progress (like the rest of our side) but coaches love guys that can kick a goal or two every week.
This is why we've struggled since Jamie Elliott got re-injured. He's a 3-4 goal a week player....he finishes the work of the players downfield and he gives the mids and defenders the confidence to get the ball forward quickly.
When we get 2 or 3 of those 3-4 goal a week forwards or mids THEN we'll be able to climb the ladder again. Until we get dangerous up forward again we won't progress...no matter how hard we try.
Sorry Robroy, I don't want to nitpick but you said when we get 2-3 players who kick 3-4 goals a week.
That's 3 players all kicking close to 90 goals a year. Get that and we will have multiple premierships.

Ben second best thing you can do is work on nailing each chance.

Ben best thing you can do, is not read these threads

That set shot he missed is the type that comes back to haunt you. Had an option over the top in the square, took the responsibility and went back and had the shot. Have to kick those. Would have closed the gap to under 10 points, instead Port get on a rampage and belt through 4 unanswered goals.

Instead of judging him after a loss, look at what he can do and does do at times rather than the numbers of possessions that he gets. He has a good set of hands, can create goals out of nothing and is a good shot at goals. Now compare him to the guy he has been competing with lately for a spot in the forward line, Greenwood. Greenwood is an unreliable shot at goal, is slow off the mark and is poor below his knees. If we were playing Geelong and we needed someone to play against Selwood, I would play Greenwood. If we needed someone at the legs of Moore in the forward line, I would play Crocker instead of Greenwood. Keep playing Crocker in the seniors and in time his possessions will improve and more goals will come. However, play Greenwood instead, or bring Blair back into the side, then we continue to deteriorate as a team. Easy choice for me and for any coach wanting to keep his job.

Greenwood gets a game ahead of him because he's currently better in just about every area AND offers a viable midfield rotation. Onus is on Crocker to change that as it's not a problem Greenwood or the match committee can do to much about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's why we aren't any good though.
Moore is not vanilla he just a KP kid and needs time. Crocker is an in between kid with ordinary kicking skills. The fact he's playing right now is reflective of the state if our list. It's bog ordinary and proof of the folly of premature rebuilding.

Thank God we didn't start the rebuild prematurely then, don't need any of that folly.

Sorry Robroy, I don't want to nitpick but you said when we get 2-3 players who kick 3-4 goals a week.
That's 3 players all kicking close to 90 goals a year. Get that and we will have multiple premierships.

Not a bad thing.

Yeah this is where I see Crocker. He just seems to have a knack for getting into positions to score goals. Going at one goal per game pace over his career and in 2017 so there's something to build on. He's only played 13 games and he's still very raw. If he can develop into a 1.5 - 2 goals per game player (33 - 44 goals per year) plus increase his strength in the contest I think he could become a decent player. For what it's worth, Elliott went at 0.4 goals per game in his first season (15 games, 2012) so it would certainly seem premature to completely write off Crocker now.

You've done the maths Otto...well done!
I don't think anyone expects that the same 3-4 players will kick 3-4 every week but when you have multiple players capable of the feat then you make oppositions worried. Elliot can do that but at the moment no-one else can chip in and help him. 3 players capable of averaging 40-50 a year and we're in the hunt for a top 4 spot. At present we have 1 player capable (Elliot)...so its time we went shopping for forwards (not Maynes)

You've done the maths Otto...well done!
I don't think anyone expects that the same 3-4 players will kick 3-4 every week but when you have multiple players capable of the feat then you make oppositions worried. Elliot can do that but at the moment no-one else can chip in and help him. 3 players capable of averaging 40-50 a year and we're in the hunt for a top 4 spot. At present we have 1 player capable (Elliot)...so its time we went shopping for forwards (not Maynes)
Moore will be, Elliott is there already, need one more tall and hopefully more out of Faz could be good enough.

Yeah guys, all our second year players should be setting the world on fire. It's especially easy for forward flankers to change the course of games...

Crocker hasn't impressed me and I agree with the view that if he's getting a regular game it's a sad reflection of our current forward line stocks, but I wouldn't be writing him off just yet.

I wrote him off from the first time I saw him. He simply just doesn't have it. Fancy a position filled by him as our top 6 forwards.. no membership renewal from my end that's for sure.

I wrote him off from the first time I saw him. He simply just doesn't have it. Fancy a position filled by him as our top 6 forwards.. no membership renewal from my end that's for sure.

Would they sell him at IGA?

Fair enough Gimpy, he hasn't set the world on fire.

I'm sure that you'd be genuinely happy if he ever did prove you wrong. :) Let's hope he does mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back