Player Watch Ben Crocker (Delisted 2019, Pies VFL 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Willing to give the kid some leeway after a solid few games last year and a heavily interrupted preseason. He's another in addition to Langdon who I'm baffled about in regards to rushing in to the senior squad though given they were both seriously underdone when selected.

Needs to ride out the year in the VFL and push for next season, because he's just not up to scratch fitness wise and brings no standout attributes to the table to make up for it.

Willing to give the kid some leeway after a solid few games last year and a heavily interrupted preseason. He's another in addition to Langdon who I'm baffled about in regards to rushing in to the senior squad though given they were both seriously underdone when selected.

Needs to ride out the year in the VFL and push for next season, because he's just not up to scratch fitness wise and brings no standout attributes to the table to make up for it.

that's the most concerning part

The 3 games in the seniors will benefit him but I'm glad he was dropped. Doesn't offer a lot at the moment but he's had an interrupted pre season and being a late draft pick who knows if he's going to make it. Still, he's kicked 13 goals in the 13 games he's played which is a decent return for someone of his experience. I'd like to see him improve his tackling and marking in the VFL before he's considered again.

The 3 games in the seniors will benefit him but I'm glad he was dropped. Doesn't offer a lot at the moment but he's had an interrupted pre season and being a late draft pick who knows if he's going to make it. Still, he's kicked 13 goals in the 13 games he's played which is a decent return for someone of his experience. I'd like to see him improve his tackling and marking in the VFL before he's considered again.
He was shocking this year at senior level like he has gone backwards from last year where I thought he would be improve upon. He was very good last year at senior level I thought.

He was shocking this year at senior level like he has gone backwards from last year where I thought he would be improve upon. He was very good last year at senior level I thought.
Too young and injured this year to expect improvement, he's not even senior match fit yet.

Crocker is a guy I'd like to see us try as a back pocket. We have a real list need there. Crocker has game, strength and speed so has some attributes that could see him developed there. He'd know how to think like a forward. If he learns positioning and concentration I reckon he could go alright there. Worth a try.

Crocker is a guy I'd like to see us try as a back pocket. We have a real list need there. Crocker has game, strength and speed so has some attributes that could see him developed there. He'd know how to think like a forward. If he learns positioning and concentration I reckon he could go alright there. Worth a try.

Not sure he'll survive into 2018. I like the kid and he's had a disrupted go at it but I think we've got good coverage for him either as a forward or even as a defender if he could assume that role.

Not sure he'll survive into 2018. I like the kid and he's had a disrupted go at it but I think we've got good coverage for him either as a forward or even as a defender if he could assume that role.

The determinant for me may be Fasolo. If we lose Fas, I would probably favour holding onto Crocker as he moves up the depth chart into territory where we probably need coverage.

The determinant for me may be Fasolo. If we lose Fas, I would probably favour holding onto Crocker as he moves up the depth chart into territory where we probably need coverage.
As you say lose faz, Crocker will survive. Faz stays hard to see a spot for him going forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As you say lose faz, Crocker will survive. Faz stays hard to see a spot for him going forward

If Faz stays send him back. Ramsay looks cooked after his knee. Sinclair looks cooked after his hammies. Maynard looks like he'll progress further afield. There is a spot for him back there as a small defender.

See my post above. I've made a few assumptions on Sinclair and Ramsay but I reckon it's reasonable. I think he has an opportunity in the role of small defender. If Faz leaves you're right, he'll have more opportunities in the forward half but i'd still favour others. Which says a bit about where he's at in the depth charts.

Delist. He seems slow.
Would much rather put more games into Daicos and Kirby as well as the new kids we draft this year.

If Faz stays send him back. Ramsay looks cooked after his knee. Sinclair looks cooked after his hammies. Maynard looks like he'll progress further afield. There is a spot for him back there as a small defender.
Agree with Sincliar, not to sure on Ramsay, it always takes a while after a knee.
Has Crocker got the smarts to play back though

Agree with Sincliar, not to sure on Ramsay, it always takes a while after a knee.
Has Crocker got the smarts to play back though

We won't know until we try it. I reckon he'll be alright. He's tenacious and quick which is a good start. I'd like to see us try it. And I like the idea of addressing a list need with the resources available on the list.

We won't know until we try it. I reckon he'll be alright. He's tenacious and quick which is a good start. I'd like to see us try it. And I like the idea of addressing a list need with the resources available on the list.

Crocker is listed as 188 cm. Don't we have enough of these medium tall defenders?

Agree, if we can do it, it is better than getting a harbrow for a year

I'm more confident of Ramsay and Sinclair playing a meaningful role in our defence in 2018 than Crocker. If he projected as a small defender then I could understand how he'd fit but at 188cm and the way he plays I'd see him competing more with Langdon, Scharenberg, Howe and Crisp in a medium role. Time will tell.

Crocker is listed as 188 cm. Don't we have enough of these medium tall defenders?

We have enough intercept defenders but that's not how I envisage we play him. I couldn't care less about his height as long as he blankets the forward pocket he's on. Actually reckon his height is perfect as he's harder to exploit in the air but has the pace and agility to get the job done on the ground.

I'm more confident of Ramsay and Sinclair playing a meaningful role in our defence in 2018 than Crocker. If he projected as a small defender then I could understand how he'd fit but at 188cm and the way he plays I'd see him competing more with Langdon, Scharenberg, Howe and Crisp in a medium role. Time will tell.

His heights irrelevant in my view. If it doesn't get in the way of his speed and agility, and it doesn't, then who cares? It's how we play him that matters. Think Crisp who is 190cm but is very much a ground level defender.

His heights irrelevant in my view. If it doesn't get in the way of his speed and agility, and it doesn't, then who cares? It's how we play him that matters. Think Crisp who is 190cm but is very much a ground level defender.

Yeah, I'm not sold on his speed and agility either. Certainly not comparable to Crisp's.

Yeah, I'm not sold on his speed and agility either. Certainly not comparable to Crisp's.

I didn't say he was as quick or agile as Crisp. All I was pointing out is that a guy who is 2cms taller is playing as a ground level back pocket/half back. And it has no bearing on his ability to play the role. And it doesn't make him an intercept defender. Fair enough if you feel Crockers speed or agility will limit him in the role. I'd disagree.

I'll add, just because Crocker is a marking forward it doesn't necessarily follow that he has to be an intercepting defender. But it does mean if he is in a marking contest he knows how to stand up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back