Player Watch Ben Crocker (Delisted 2019, Pies VFL 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't say he was as quick or agile as Crisp. All I was pointing out is that a guy who is 2cms taller is playing as a ground level back pocket/half back. And it has no bearing on his ability to play the role. And it doesn't make him an intercept defender. Fair enough if you feel Crockers speed or agility will limit him in the role. I'd disagree.

I'll add, just because Crocker is a marking forward it doesn't necessarily follow that he has to be an intercepting defender. But it does mean if he is in a marking contest he knows how to stand up.

I think we are clutching at straws trying to turn crocker into a defender. Delist and go back to the draft , costs us nothing , however if we persist and he still doesn't turn out we have denied a spot to a kid on our list. To me he hasn't stood out for any attribute in the little games he has played for us , apart from toughness

I suspect he might not make it, but after cracking the team for 13 games in your first two years after being taken with pick 65 suggests he's rated at the club. 1 year extension on the senior list wouldn't be a bad result for us IMO

I wasn't really fan of him when we drafted him so I'd have no problem delisting him.

A defensive role is worth a shot, but I have my doubts because he's too slow, IMO. He rarely gains separation as a forward so relies more on his smarts which I don't think will translate well to defence. It's a lateral thought though which we need more of moving forward and I'd rather retain him than delist!

Not sold on his footskills or his pace for his height. He looks ok over head.
In terms of rebuilding the list he's not high on the priorities so I'd give him a 2 year deal and see what develops. It wouldn't be a bank breaker to cut him a year early if we wanted to but I doubt it would come to that.

If you list the players from 1 to 10 that won't play in a premiership he's not I the top 10 IMO. White is already gone so that 1 less forward option 1 of the 10 or so who will exit. Given Crocker isn't paid much that puts him on the 2018 list as far as I'm concerned. Next year would be an important year for him though.

I think we are clutching at straws trying to turn crocker into a defender. Delist and go back to the draft , costs us nothing , however if we persist and he still doesn't turn out we have denied a spot to a kid on our list. To me he hasn't stood out for any attribute in the little games he has played for us , apart from toughness

I disagree insomuch as he's shown he could be a pretty handy lead up medium forward. Just not sure he's done enough to merit retaining given where he's currently at in the pecking order, especially with Kirby and Daicos coming to the club this year and appearing to have more tricks.

I think getting Mayne really put Crocker further down the pecking order... even though Maybe has been a flop and crocker deserves a game ahead of him, we have to keep a list spot open for Mayne for another 3 years (unless we pay him out or he retires)... whereas we don't for Crocker

If fasolo leaves then there might be a spot for Crocker.... But right now he is behind Elliot (who plays taller), Fasolo, Mayne (cause we are locked in to him), and even Kirby who plays strongly one on one.

I think we are surplus at least one, especially as Bucks often plays Greenwood or De Goey as a resting mid sized forward. How many mid sized forward options do we need on our list?

Add to that that Crocker has no other position he looks like he can play...

I'd move him on.... offer a new deal only if fasolo or another of the mid sized forwards leaves. Invest that list position in an area of shortage e.g. rebounding back

With Tory Dickson near the end... the Dogs probably need another midsized option. Help him get to a club, if any club wants him

Last edited:
I think getting Mayne really put Crocker further down the pecking order... even though Maybe has been a flop and crocker deserves a game ahead of him, we have to keep a list spot open for Mayne for another 3 years (unless we pay him out or he retires)... whereas we don't for Crocker

If fasolo leaves then there might be a spot for Crocker.... But right now he is behind Elliot (who plays taller), Fasolo, Mayne (cause we are locked in to him), and even Kirby who plays strongly one on one.

I think we are surplus at least one, especially as Bucks often plays Greenwood or De Goey as a resting mid sized forward. How many mid sized forward options do we need on our list?

I'd move him on.... offer a new deal only if fasolo or another of the mid sized forwards leaves. Invest that list position in an area of shortage e.g. rebounding back

With Tory Dickson near the end... the Dogs probably need another midsized option. Help him get to a club, if any club wants him
Not so sure about that, Crocker was given games this year when Mayne was obviously also available.

I disagree insomuch as he's shown he could be a pretty handy lead up medium forward. Just not sure he's done enough to merit retaining given where he's currently at in the pecking order, especially with Kirby and Daicos coming to the club this year and appearing to have more tricks.

If we delist him, would another club pick him up ? We have too many small/mid forwards , he is a real in between size too , but also lacks pace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardest issue for him is too many in front of him.

Elliott and Fasolo.
Kirby potential.

Hoskin-Elliot

Daicos ?

Up to him ofcourse

Still looks

Still looks like a Hawthorn player to me

If we delist him, would another club pick him up ? We have too many small/mid forwards , he is a real in between size too , but also lacks pace.

Yeah, don't know how much interest there'd be if we do ultimately delist him.

Anyone we delist is unlikely to be picked up. If you aren't good enough for a bottom club's list you generally aren't of much interest to other clubs.

Didn't have much of a preseason I think that really showed when he was brought in. Hopefully has a good crack this preseason because the boy does have some talent. Just needs to get over these injuries he keeps on getting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back