Player Watch Ben Crocker (Delisted 2019, Pies VFL 2024)

You know, Mayne has played close to 200 games of league football. That’s a good effort at any level, let alone AFL. Plenty of people don’t achieve that.

I’m assuming that many posters on this board have given the expert opinion.

How dare anyone give their opinion on a public forum, they should be ashamed of themselves:eek:
I agree, there are some posts that people should be ashamed of.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
When did it become ok to bag the crap out of players doing their best?
The high achievers showing their own high achievement.

(I've never understood the need to be so nasty; I guess we're all different)

The high achievers showing their own high achievement.

(I've never understood the need to be so nasty; I guess we're all different)
Spot on. In all likelihood Crocker won’t have a long AFL career, but he has lived the dream of wearing the stripes. He should be shown a lot more respect.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I see tough guy parvey is at it again. :rolleyes:

You offer nothing to this forum tough guy.
Ever since I semi discovered that there is a huge chance that players and other club personnel read posts on these forums, I have changed my views on what is acceptable comment on players.

The club drafts a player then hopes he will perform at a level that will allow him to be a useful AFL player. If the player does not achieve the anticipated level, it is not the player's fault but an error of judgement by the recruiters. Calling someone '*en useless' etc is simply not fair.

Admittedly, some players like Fasolo open themselves up to criticism with their lackadaisical approach and strong rumours of defection. Nevertheless, as a general rule, opinions should be tempered by reality and respect. The player is ultimately playing for the black and white and deserves to be objectively assessed rather than subjected to an emotive reaction in a game thread.

Ever since I semi discovered that there is a huge chance that players and other club personnel read posts on these forums, I have changed my views on what is acceptable comment on players.

The club drafts a player then hopes he will perform at a level that will allow him to be a useful AFL player. If the player does not achieve the anticipated level, it is not the player's fault but an error of judgement by the recruiters. Calling someone '****en useless' etc is simply not fair.

Admittedly, some players like Fasolo open themselves up to criticism with their lackadaisical approach and strong rumours of defection. Nevertheless, as a general rule, opinions should be tempered by reality and respect. The player is ultimately playing for the black and white and deserves to be objectively assessed rather than subjected to an emotive reaction in a game thread.
Beautifully said as always.

BPikkers

Cancelled
Oct 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

The club drafts a player then hopes he will perform at a level that will allow him to be a useful AFL player. If the player does not achieve the anticipated level, it is not the player's fault but an error of judgement by the recruiters. Calling someone '****en useless' etc is simply not fair.

I think you’re right here. Last year (early to mid season) I suggested Crisp should play half back and we should rotate our mids through the forward line. Guess what...

I know you’re reading this Bucks.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

And as clubs have 45 players it means that half the players are not playing seniors.

There has to be a group that just miss out or don’t make it.
Some survive longer as depth or have luck in their contracts, some fall out quickly.

It’s the nature of the beast.

No shame making best 45.

It’s a tough business and worthy of respect.

When a man Fraser's size pulled out of a contest when the scores were level with a minute to play because an opposition midfielder was in his path he deserved all the criticism he got. He didn't do it once either.
I can’t recall the play you’re talking about?

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
Watched Crocker pretty closely today and his leading and marking was really strong which is maybe something to build on for next year.

Desperately needs to improve his core strength and get the 80% above the shoulders right though - he is sorely lacking in focus and repeat efforts defensively and needs to find a bit more more composure offensively when he has the ball.

Last edited:
Called it early on the Crock re.. after a few games.. not AFL worthy.

God how I get players right.

I'm a great re.

I thought he was Promsing in his 1st Season but sadly gone backwards since

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)

Great post. You're as eloquent as the great man you have as your avatar!

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
I can’t recall the play you’re talking about?
Against Melbourne around 2010, I think. The game ended up being a draw. Ball bouncing along ground in the middle of the G -A demon mid, charging at it full bore, scores level, minute or two remaining, Josh reaches in with one arm rather then throw himself at the pill. It is burned into my skull. I remember him being outmarked by Peter Bell in another game at the G. Josh was a talented footballer and played some wonderful games for us, but he shirked the contest on too many occasions , especially for a big bloke.

Incident around 25:14 mark

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Another great football truism;

When a side has a poor day it's amazing how many players look poor.

The whole thing breaks down, players look out of their depth.

But start winning they all look better.

Amazing thing, get the ball and do good things with it, then things happen.

Against Melbourne around 2010, I think. The game ended up being a draw. Ball bouncing along ground in the middle of the G -A demon mid, Maloney, I believe) charging at it full bore, scores level, minute or two remaining, Josh reaches in with one arm rather then throw himself at the pill. It is burned into my skull. I remember him being outmarked by Peter Bell in another game at the G. Josh was a talented footballer and played some wonderful games for us, but he shirked the contest on too many occasions , especially for a big bloke.
I’ll rewatch the game, I’ve seen it a few times back in the day but can’t remember the specific passage or play. Shall keep an eye out for it.

I do remember the Bell game at the G but that didn’t meet the rest of your description. That one was diabolical.

Back