Player Watch Ben Crocker (Delisted 2019, Pies VFL 2024)

Mr Pie

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Never the same after the state of origin pcl injury.

^^^ This.

Josh was hitting his straps when this happened.

Like others have said Josh was thrown to the wolves too early in the ruck.

Unfortunately we kept trading for Steve Mckee types.

IIRC We could have had Josh and Pav in that draft.

Instead we got Josh, Mckee and a Roach.

Bugger.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Certainly news to me, wonder where that came from.
He did, I'd say quite a few times.

Something I pick up on.

Eg Derek Hine will at times address a player by his proper name eg Taylor or Scott instead of using Tay or Pendles. Something he does.

Sometimes mick would say Joshua.

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Watched him yesterday. Impressed with his trajectory in what is a new role. Previously thought of him as incapable of playing anything but mid sized forward.

Brings his attributes (athleticism, explosiveness, endeavour) but also brings his weaknesses (kicking, decision making). Still, Greenwood, phillips and Mayne have played a lot of footy with weaknesses in their game.

Good luck to Ben. Maybe down the track there is a spot for him on the wing.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah I viewed the incident a few times, and could see that given the context of the level scoreline, Fraser was probably meant to have put his body on the line in a head on contest. But really, if that is the worst of his shirks in a long playing career, I think he is being unfairly judged. I expected to see him deliberately sidestepping a physical contest, but I think he just figured he could better influence the outcome of it by staying on his feet. In any case, I am not going to judge his courage on one incident in which the player's true intentions are not sufficiently clear.

Fraser was a good player who was let down by his refusal to work hard in the gym to address his major weaknesses. Body strength and size.

He had talent in spades but not the size to compete physically against the brute rucks.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Watched him yesterday. Impressed with his trajectory in what is a new role. Previously thought of him as incapable of playing anything but mid sized forward.

Brings his attributes (athleticism, explosiveness, endeavour) but also brings his weaknesses (kicking, decision making). Still, Greenwood, phillips and Mayne have played a lot of footy with weaknesses in their game.

Good luck to Ben. Maybe down the track there is a spot for him on the wing.

Not 2 words I'd usually associate with the Croc, I actually think it is a lack of those 2 as to why he wouldn't make it forward.

So it's interesting you are now seeing it in his game as a mid? Maybe he has worked hard on his acceleration/explosiveness over summer?

Ben is a big boy, 188 cm. Good size for a mid, his tank has been the issue to date.
Has made hard running a strength this year, working both ways too.

May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
I've never thought of him as a bad kick, it's possible he's made poor decisions but that's common in young players. Will watch the next VFL game streamed with interest.

Hows his disposal going? clean hands? kicking well to advantage?

getting his hands and knees dirty inside? Crunching opponents?

Whats he bringing to the table that will improve our midfield team?
The easiest way to describe his play is to say he’s playing the same role as Mayne does in the seniors. If I were to use another descriptor it would be a wing who plays as a mid sized utility more so than an inside mid or pacey line breaker.

He was able use his height and strong hands to provide a target and help out at half back. What stands out most to me though is his work rate, which helps him get to good positions. I didn’t pay attention to it yesterday, but he voice was also really good in the Geel practice match.

In terms of kicking he sprayed a couple out on the full when going down the line from the boundary (he wasn’t alone), but a few of his other kicks were pinpoint.

Hows his disposal going? clean hands? kicking well to advantage?

getting his hands and knees dirty inside? Crunching opponents?

Whats he bringing to the table that will improve our midfield team?
I quite like him, but I wouldn't pick him soon. The way I see it we've got too many blokes in the side already who should be playing wing - Phillips, Mayne, Sidebottom and I think that's where Pendles now belongs and maybe even Stephenson with Elliott back.

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
It’s going to happen.
44043533-4936-4AF6-8543-32B59FD0093A.gif

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not 2 words I'd usually associate with the Croc, I actually think it is a lack of those 2 as to why he wouldn't make it forward.

So it's interesting you are now seeing it in his game as a mid? Maybe he has worked hard on his acceleration/explosiveness over summer?

See what you are saying... I don't mean to say that Ben is like Tom Jok. But my recollection of Ben as a forward is all explosiveness and effort but a lack of skill and nous at some of the crucial moments. It's similarly how i see his midfield game - so far.

To clarify I see him to be more of the Mayne like mover than a Sidebottom. But for someone who has played minimal games in midfield.. for 3 qtrs on Saturday...he outshone the more experienced C Brown, Daicos, Woodward. I'm upbeat about his potential.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
I've never thought of him as a bad kick, it's possible he's made poor decisions but that's common in young players. Will watch the next VFL game streamed with interest.
I'm hoping there will be one of them soon enough, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for it!!!

It's a shame that he's not a gun. It would be a great name to yell at the footy. We often talk about combining players to maximise their strengths and get rid of weaknesses. I vote we combine Crocker and Stephenson. We keep everything the same about Stephenson, but give him Crocker's name.

Back