Ben Cunnington vs Tom Liberatore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's use an analogy. Cunnington is more like Sloane. Libba is more like Danger.

Both are guns, and you can argue that Sloane is better, but Danger gets a lot more media attention and all the personalities pump up his tyres while ignoring Sloane, where Sloane is very close to Danger if not better, just doesn't get the same attention.

Cunnington and Libba are close, you can say that one is better than the other and you could be right either way. But the media pump up Libba a lot, and they completely ignore Cunnington, which is why a few neutrals would say Libba.
Good analogy. Cunnington and Liberatore share many of the same strengths with Liberatore having the better endurance and speed and Cunnington a better contested mark and goalkicking nous.

Libba gets tagged?? Cunners a year older, the argument could go on for years they are both guns Libba ahead who cares lol

Neither side would trade their player for the other, and neither would be disappointed with that decision.

I think that's as far an analysis as you can get. Libba is a gun, a contested clearance machine, while Cunnington goes in harder than anyone and can take a mark. Both going to have huge careers.

timtamWB is Liberatore playing a slightly different role this year with his clearance numbers down or is he in a form slump?
Libba's stats are good

22disposals 10.4 CP 5.4 Clearances 1.4 centre clearances 7 tackles

It's just that Cunnington has put up some guady numbers

24.4 disposals 14.6 CP 8.4 clearances 2.6 centre clearances 6.4 tackles

If he keeps it up he'll be in the AA squad and possibly team. I think his numbers will drop back slightly to above avg. ATM they're elite. But we all know 5 games does not make a season.

Libba's stats are good

If he keeps it up he'll be in the AA squad and possibly team. I think his numbers will drop back slightly to above avg. ATM they're elite. But we all know 5 games does not make a season.
Cunnington also started off really slow with 16 and 18 disposals in the opening 2 games. Since then 30,30 and 28.

Libba's stats are good

Libba's numbers are fine but we've seen he can be much more prolific than that. The year after the break out is always tough and it's only his 4th season.
I was expecting Cunnington to drop off a little bit but he looked to have so much more energy in the Collingwood game than most of his team mates and almost reached 30 touches again for the 3rd week running. Wait and see but it looks like he's taken his whole fitness base up a level.

Libba's numbers are fine but we've seen he can be much more prolific than that. The year after the break out is always tough and it's only his 4th season.
I was expecting Cunnington to drop off a little bit but he looked to have so much more energy in the Collingwood game than most of his team mates and almost reached 30 touches again for the 3rd week running. Wait and see but it looks like he's taken his whole fitness base up a level.

Cunnington's ability to stay on the ground and get to contests is the key to his inflated numbers.

Libba will be fine. He'll grow as his team does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cunnington's ability to stay on the ground and get to contests is the key to his inflated numbers.

Libba will be fine. He'll grow as his team does.
So true, he's had the ability to win the ball at this level since the second part of 2012. His numbers would have been better in the Essendon game if he didn't miss most of a quarter due to a concussion test too. We play our best footy when he's out there. His clearance's are alike Mitchell's in their creativity.

So true, he's had the ability to win the ball at this level since the second part of 2012. His numbers would have been better in the Essendon game if he didn't miss most of a quarter due to a concussion test too. We play our best footy when he's out there. His clearance's are alike Mitchell's in their creativity.
I've noticed this year especially he ***** the left hand back and the opposition run past him and try to guess where the ball is going. Several examples in the last 3 weeks. Then he cranks out a 30m bullet.

I've noticed this year especially he ***** the left hand back and the opposition run past him and try to guess where the ball is going. Several examples in the last 3 weeks. Then he cranks out a 30m bullet.
He's a joy to watch. Should be freed up when Swallow returns to use his marking skills up forward and start hitting the scoreboard again. Currently we need him on the ball so badly because Levi, Basti and Dal Santo can't get the ball out like him, Ziebell and Swallow do.

timtamWB is Liberatore playing a slightly different role this year with his clearance numbers down or is he in a form slump?
Minson is really struggling for form and has spent most of the season tapping the ball to the advantage of the opposition, so it's making Libba's job a bit more difficult than it was last year. He's also copping a lot more attention with Griffen down on form, so he's doing quite a good job to continue playing decently under those conditions.

Cunnington is having an unbelievable season so far though, playing AA-type footy.

Minson is really struggling for form and has spent most of the season tapping the ball to the advantage of the opposition, so it's making Libba's job a bit more difficult than it was last year. He's also copping a lot more attention with Griffen down on form, so he's doing quite a good job to continue playing decently under those conditions.

Cunnington is having an unbelievable season so far though, playing AA-type footy.
I had forgotten about Minson's form while Liberatore was cranking out double digit clearance numbers every other week. I thought he was great in the Richmond game. Had a centre clearance in the last which was as good as you'd ever see.

Griffen has been very limited so Libba is copping a lot more attention than he did last year and so he is struggling a bit with that extra attention. Also the fact that Minson has been far down on his form from last year, means Libba doesn't get the taps to advantage that Minson gave him last year. He's still getting good stats, he's just not influencing the contest as much as he was last year.

So what Dan of the many n's said. That's what I get for not reading all the posts ahead of mine before posting :oops:

Given the tag and poor form of Minson, if anything it just goes to show the upside of Libba since he's still recording respectful stats.
Yeah thats how most on the doggies board see it, although its pretty damn frustrating because the 3 players who were clearly our best 3 last year (Griff, Libba, Minno, could even add Cooney here as well) have all been well down on form compared to last year. Luckily a few other guys have stepped up to cover them but it would be nice if we could get them all playing good footy together, one day hey? :p

Either or....
Libba probably the better kick Cunners the better hands and mark...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back