Toast Ben D leaving Port...it’s confirmed. All the best Ben. You deserve it!

That's possible too, but then why would he leave?
Better pay, more responsibility, career progression, better working conditions, an attractive challenge... do I need to continue? There is a long list of reasons why people move jobs that have nothing to do with hating their current employers and/or stakeholders.

Sad day for the PAFC that Benny D is leaving, but I'm sure he is going to bigger and better things.

From the first time I meet him, he had a big welcoming smile that made you feel good to be part of the Port Adelaide family. And nothing has changed thru all the ups and down over the next 7 years or so.

A very, very positive and passionate Port Adelaide man that will be missed. Who is going to lead the March from the Mall like Benny??

One little story to show how good Ben was at providing service to members, I popped in to AO for training just before the first game in 2014. We started talking and he then asked - is JB part of the Club 1870 group with you and Eddie Dingle?? I said yes he is. He said I have his pass on my desk, is he coming to the opening game. I said he is. He had never met JB before as he is based in Darwin, yet recognized his name and connection to me. I rang ED, gave the phone to Ben, they spoke and they sorted out how to get his pass to him so he could watch the first game at AO without any hassles. That is service above and beyond expectations.

If Ben is going to the 36ers as someone wrote above, I will have no doubt he will improve their membership department by plenty. If he is going to a non sporting organisation, then their customer service department will improve out of sight.

A promotion with less impact on his work-life balance, maybe.

Maybe - who knows? I'm not sure why some people feel they can speak for him and accuse the club of being a toxic environment and then arc up about it when other people present a counter viewpoint about the fact that he has to deal with a lot of toxicity from members that, while not directed at him personally, he still has to read.

Not every thread and action needs to be related to Hinkley. As El Zorro said, he might just be leaving for a new challenge or a myriad of other reasons.

The more change the better. Despite his apparent positive influence.
Change for change sake ain't much good. If you are going to change, make it change for the better.

As much as I want Hinkley removed, I don't want him changed just because .... and we end up with a Mark Neeld.

You just wrote a monologue assuming his views align with yours as regards toxic members.

I mean, good god man.

AFTER a number of people assumed that he was leaving because of a toxic environment. And all I said was reading a whole lot of bullshit emails every day from irrate members and having to respond to each one of them is going to have an effect on mental health. Which it would - I don't care who you are, even if you agree with negative sentiments, constant negativity isn't good for you.

I don't assume anyone's views align with mine. I'm presenting the other side of the story - it's not my opinion on why he's left because frankly it's none of my business why he's gone. I don't have an opinion on him leaving other than he'll be a loss to the club.

Maturity is being able to see the viewpoint of others and accept the reasons as to why they've come to that conclusion while at the same time not agreeing with them. I can accept why people want Hinkley gone, for example, even if I don't agree with their reasoning. That's how the consistent negativity of this forum now washes over me...acceptance, acknowledgement and then dismissal.

AFTER a number of people assumed that he was leaving because of a toxic environment. And all I said was reading a whole lot of bullshit emails every day from irrate members and having to respond to each one of them is going to have an effect on mental health. Which it would - I don't care who you are, even if you agree with negative sentiments, constant negativity isn't good for you.

I don't assume anyone's views align with mine. I'm presenting the other side of the story - it's not my opinion on why he's left because frankly it's none of my business why he's gone. I don't have an opinion on him leaving other than he'll be a loss to the club.

Maturity is being able to see the viewpoint of others and accept the reasons as to why they've come to that conclusion while at the same time not agreeing with them. I can accept why people want Hinkley gone, for example, even if I don't agree with their reasoning. That's how the consistent negativity of this forum now washes over me...acceptance, acknowledgement and then dismissal.

Lol ok.

chickentendies

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Mar 26, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Benny D is leaving because the supporters kept handballing to his feet

Sad day for the PAFC that Benny D is leaving, but I'm sure he is going to bigger and better things.

From the first time I meet him, he had a big welcoming smile that made you feel good to be part of the Port Adelaide family. And nothing has changed thru all the ups and down over the next 7 years or so.

A very, very positive and passionate Port Adelaide man that will be missed. Who is going to lead the March from the Mall like Benny??

One little story to show how good Ben was at providing service to members, I popped in to AO for training just before the first game in 2014. We started talking and he then asked - is JB part of the Club 1870 group with you and Eddie Dingle?? I said yes he is. He said I have his pass on my desk, is he coming to the opening game. I said he is. He had never met JB before as he is based in Darwin, yet recognized his name and connection to me. I rang ED, gave the phone to Ben, they spoke and they sorted out how to get his pass to him so he could watch the first game at AO without any hassles. That is service above and beyond expectations.

If Ben is going to the 36ers as someone wrote above, I will have no doubt he will improve their membership department by plenty. If he is going to a non sporting organisation, then their customer service department will improve out of sight.
I had the opportunity to spend time with Benny one day before a game in Melbourne. That was fun, we clicked. What stood out to me though was the way that he treated the young lad that ran out with the team that day. It was outstanding, really, really decent.

Benny D is leaving because the supporters kept handballing to his feet

Every time one of you says this, I know that you've got nothing else to say.

It's like how opposition fans will say '119' in response to anything a Port fan says. They know what is being said is true, they just don't want to admit it.

My grandpa turned 100 a few months ago. He used to be a trainer at the club in the 50s. Benny not only organised a tour of the facilities for him, he ended up able to chat to a number of staff and players, as well as Ken and he had organised a really heart felt card and gift for him. My family will be forever grateful for that.

The thing that made Benny so good was that he is one of us. He isnt just someone that got a job at the club. He is a hardcore lifelong supporter who’d stood in the outer at Alberton for years, he’d sat on the cold seats at Footy Park, watched us win finals and grand finals, watched us lose by a million points in the wet to Collingwood and landed a job at the club. He knew what it was like and what we all wanted. He is the most patient kind hearted genuine bloke you could meet.

The 36ers have got the best in the business at his role. The best part is he now gets to enjoy Port games with his family again.

Someone as extra-special as Benny would have had offers before, and turned them down. “I’m in my favourite place,” he would’ve responded, “doing my favourite job and working with my favourite people.”

But there comes a time - a crossroads - when favourite places and favourite jobs and favourite people are no longer enough motivation to keep getting up in the morning and to get going yet again.

I will miss you immensely, Benny. My family, especially my grandchildren - most especially my grandson named Russell - will miss you, too, when I tell them about you, and will chorus: “Thank you, Ben, for personally organising our baby memberships.”

All the very best of luck negotiating your crossroads, Ben, and the best of fortune to you and yours forever.

Thanks a million, mate.

Imagine the tirade of abuse Ben would get if he came onto this forum with his positive attitude.

A7C04228-0961-496C-A715-971CA79B1A2D.jpeg

Whatever the case I’m sure his replacement will do just fine.

I've said it before - no one at the club is purposely acting against its interests. They just aren't.

So what? They don't have to be 'purposely acting against the club's interests' to be acting against the club's interest.

Ken probably genuinely believes that the best thing for the club is for Ken to get another contract. That doesn't make him right.

Not all the members/supporters. Just the ones who choose to vent their frustration in a constant stream of emails to the club thinking that agitating for change is the way to speed it up. I've said it before - no one at the club is purposely acting against its interests. They just aren't.

It's the same thing with Keith Thomas - he's only considering leaving because of supporter unrest. When he chose to appoint Hinkley and then chose to extend him, he did so believing he was acting in the best interests of the club.

If and when Hinkley gets the sack or isn't extended at the end of the year...or even if he is extended...it will be a decision that is made in what people who care about the club believe is the best interests of the club to attain ultimate success.

That's possible too, but then why would he leave? In his role he could actually make a difference inside the club by letting people know what the members were saying. It would be very, very strange.

As usual you have it backwards.

I’m actually really happy for Ben. I reckon the job would have taken its toll over the past few years and despite all the s**t that’s been going on he’s done an incredible job. Ben and his family used to sit behind us at Footy Park and we had some great banter, I haven’t spoken to him, he’d be getting bombarded with messages, but I think he’ll really enjoy being at Port games without that club employee hat on.

So what? They don't have to be 'purposely acting against the club's interests' to be acting against the club's interest.

Ken probably genuinely believes that the best thing for the club is for Ken to get another contract. That doesn't make him right.

That's true. But it doesn't make the people who want him gone ASAP right either. It's all just opinion, based on an idea as to why things aren't going the way people expect.

I just don't see why there is this constant need for every single thread to take the negative world view all the time. Things aren't so bad, surely?

Back