Toast Ben D leaving Port...it’s confirmed. All the best Ben. You deserve it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Things aren't so bad, surely?

We've played finals 4 times since 2005 (we're less than a month away from it being 2020).

We have played 1 final in 5 years - and all of the key figures at the club (Chairman, CEO, senior coach, football manager) remain unchanged throughout this time.

I mean, what type of mediocre mindset would you need to have to believe that things aren't so bad given the last 15 years and specifically the last 5 years this club has dished up?

I’m actually really happy for Ben. I reckon the job would have taken its toll over the past few years and despite all the s**t that’s been going on he’s done an incredible job. Ben and his family used to sit behind us at Footy Park and we had some great banter, I haven’t spoken to him, he’d be getting bombarded with messages, but I think he’ll really enjoy being at Port games without that club employee hat on.
I'm the same, nice for him to get a breather and change it up.

Hopefully he can still be involved in the club in some capacity and no doubt the door will always be open for him.

I have send an e-mail to Ben with the link to this thread. He has authorized me to share his reply. Here it is:

Hi Paulo,

Thank you for the email – I have just had a bit of read, thanks for sending it through and for all the kind thoughts / words.

I did notice that some people think there might be some sinister reasons for me leaving – but it isn’t like that at all.

I was actually approached by the Adelaide 36ers early last week, so I decided to have a chat, which turned into a meeting then a job offer.
I wasn’t expecting it at all or looking for it.
But it just made me evaluate a few things, mainly with my family.
I am married with 2 young girls – and too often they have come second to our footy club.
I realised there can be a work life away from the club – I know I will miss this place, all our members, my colleagues, but now I have come to terms with that, I am excited.
It was always my dream to work at PAFC - now I can go back to enjoying it form the other side of the fence.

Thanks again for the email

Ben Demertzis
Membership Manager
Port Adelaide Football Club
Member #1081788

It must be a great feeling to be headhunted for a job. At least that's what I hear ;)

Congratulations Ben and all the best in your new role. The 36ers gain is our loss.

To quote The Boss

Well they built the Titanic to be one of a kind,
but many ships have ruled the seas
They built the Eiffel Tower to stand alone,
but they could build another if they please
Taj Mahal, the pyramids of Egypt, are unique I suppose
But when they built you, brother, they broke the mold

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always had the best interactions with Ben.

Helpful, generous and must have the memory of an elephant to remember peoples's names and faces the way he did.

He will be a hard act to follow for whomever steps into his shoes.

That email from Ben must be fake because it does not fit in with Janus thoughts on why he left. And as we know he is the authority on what everyone else thinks.

So many have already impressively expressed their admiration towards Ben and I too absolutely agree. I am grateful that I have gotten to know him and that he worked at our club. The guy is a gem of a bloke and absolutely a loss to our club. A true Port Adelaide man. He gets Port Adelaide. Had a passion to help Port Adelaide people that's second to none. An absolute tireless worker for the club and an incredible passion for all things Port Adelaide. Every detail big and small about Port Adelaide was important to him. I wish him all the best. So sad he won't be working for the club anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back