Ben Hilfenhaus

Squizza

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2004
Mark 'Tubby' Taylor earmarked this kid as a future Australian player after only playing a couple of matches for Tassie. In the few matches that I've seen him bowl he looks pretty sharp and moves the ball as well, finally put in a great performance 7/58 against the deflated Blues. Anyone else think this kid can make it in the big time some time in the future if he keeps at is? Also if you look at this picture in his cricinfo profile he looks like Harmison minus a few years.

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/content/player/5941.html

Benny_

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2005
Tasmania
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
L.A.Lakers, Liverpool
I believe Hilfenhaus will play for Australia he is still very young and will keep improving. Another Tasmanian Adam Griffiths should be on a plane to South Africa in replace of McGrath for the test series.

xyakks

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2004
Where I'm told to live
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Hard to see him ever playing for Australia. I remember when he was in grade 10 at our school he was taking 8-9 wickets every match he played for one of the senior sides. Give him another 3-4 years and then maybe you can start talking about him playing for Australia A.

Apr 10, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bushrangers
His average dropped from the low 40s to 33.8 following that bag of 10 against NSW. He looks impressive, is only 23 but still has a fair way to go. As you know being from Tassie already handicaps him, might get a look in when he's 29-30 if he keeps performing :(

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
I think he's got a lot of talent.

He's a pretty big guy by the looks of things - from the limited things i've seen from him it wouldn't hurt him to add a yard or two of pace.

Next season will be big for him.

Gunnar Longshanks

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2005
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Drummoyne Dirty Reds
Hilfenhaus has just gutted the West Australian top order in an ODD game at the WACA.

Two wickets with his first two balls of the innings.

If you were to make a list of the best uncapped fast bowlers in Australia, where would Hilfenhaus sit?

Perty4

Club Legend
Dec 29, 2002
No where you'd find
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Fair go buddy. Hes taken 2 wickets in two balls which is impressive but to say hes 'gutted the top order' when we are now 2/49 off 9 overs is a bit rich.

Hilfenhaus is a very good bowler but needs to play Australia A games first before we jump on his bandwagon. We are very light on for pace bowlers in the years to come so lets hope hes not just a 1 season wonder.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The Reaper said:
When Tasmania played at the WACA the one that really impressed me was Kremerskothen.

What happended to him?
Kremmer was (and is) at state level what White would be at international level. Half a grade below being able to be a consistent performer.
Useful back-up all-rounder for the limited overs game, but didn't do enough with either bat or ball for the real game.

just maybe

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2005
Other Teams
Adelaide
Gunnar Longshanks said:
Hilfenhaus has just gutted the West Australian top order in an ODD game at the WACA.

Two wickets with his first two balls of the innings.

If you were to make a list of the best uncapped fast bowlers in Australia, where would Hilfenhaus sit?

And then got plundered for 57 runs off his next 9 overs.

ViperV10

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Colorado Avs
Ted Ed Fred said:
Hilfenhaus is definitely the best uncapped paceman in Aus, with Griffith second. Even Brett Geeves could play for Aus if he gets a couple of uninterrupted seasons under his belt

Geeves is too inconsistent and expensive to get a go for Australia A. He does pick up a couple of wickets a match, but never dominates.

Hilfenhaus is not the best uncapped paceman at the moment...but if he keeps performing he will be getting there. Griffith is bloody good to have in the team.

It is good to see that we finally have a bowling attack that is starting to worry teams...I have been waiting a while! I just want Damien Wright back though.

hotdish

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
St Kilda
REPEAT AFTER ME...Hilf is God!

3/ 14 (7.4)

McGrath like figures...get him into the Aus A squad at least - hopefully he'll tear it up against England...

Jul 14, 2004
In The Zone
Other Teams
The Tasmanian Tigers
hotdish said:
REPEAT AFTER ME...Hilf is God!

3/ 14 (7.4)

McGrath like figures...get him into the Aus A squad at least - hopefully he'll tear it up against England...
Got hit around towards the end, along with the rest of the attack, 3/30...those figures don't really pay enough credit to him. The batsmen had no clue what to do with him in his first spell, particularly Hayden - as soon as Hayden started to hit a couple, he was finally good enough to get an edge on one of Hilfenhaus' better deliveries.

He swings the ball a mile.

Once Pigeon goes after the Ashes then will be a real opportunity for the 3rd paceman at test level.

Watson's bowling isn't up to it at Test level IMO; Johnson and Tait are yet to prove themselves, Clark is 31 but has only really put in one good series and Bracken seems to have been written off for the Test side.

Plus I think the selectors will be a bit more anxious to get some fresh blood into the side after the Ashes are regained.

Hilfenhaus will definitely get his chance if he keeps bowling at this rate ... just needs to be patient. We need someone who can swing the ball.

Back