Ben Hilfenhaus

Is he contracted for another year at Chennai does anyone know?

The fact he was missing shield games to play for them and his general lack of longer form cricket has yet again seemed to have had an effect on his game. If he's not contracted he really needs to decide if he wants to keep playing in the Test side and if so he needs to concentrate on it, even if it costs him a few $$$. A worrying sign he's being mentioned as a holding player, because that pretty much means he's bowling with his lower arm short form action. Hilf at his best would go for a few more runs(not Pies Johnson like amounts) because he would be tempting batsman a lot more and moving it.

Underdog

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Again, he has a better record then Siddle in pretty well every way, yet Siddle seems to escape this intense scrutiny.

Why do people have this irrational scrutiny for Hilfy?

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Again, he has a better record then Siddle in pretty well every way, yet Siddle seems to escape this intense scrutiny.

Why do people have this irrational scrutiny for Hilfy?
Are you not familiar with the Siddle "right arm poo" thread which was on this board? Siddle has been scrutinised to within an inch (2.54cms for the youngsters among us) of his life on here. By comparison, Hilfenhaus has been given star treatment until recently. Hilfenhaus tends to get rated on the occasional days he has when the ball is moving all over the place & he is difficult to play, rather than his vanilla bowling in benign conditions, which doesn't trouble any top order batsmen.

mansize rooster

Cancelled
Jan 11, 2004
Here There and Everywhere
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangas
He Will.. i hope
shame he will miss boxing day.
hmm he needs a bag of wickets.. with starc pulling a 6fa and a 5fa this summer..

The good thing he has going for him is that his worst is plenty better than starcs.. (see first innings hobart - SL)
But he can't just be a holding bowler without taking many scalps.. cause they can just go to watto for that.. and it seems that Lyon is always going to get a match.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
He Will.. i hope
shame he will miss boxing day.
hmm he needs a bag of wickets.. with starc pulling a 6fa and a 5fa this summer..

The good thing he has going for him is that his worst is plenty better than starcs.. (see first innings hobart - SL)
But he can't just be a holding bowler without taking many scalps.. cause they can just go to watto for that.. and it seems that Lyon is always going to get a match.

He's on borrowed time regardless, he'd want to start nailing some big bags.......

Pattinson is just about the first picked, Siddle is now 4th in the ICC test rankings, Starc has plenty of promise, and Cummins has the most potential of all of them combined, there's not to many 18 year olds bowling genuine express 150km/h with bounce.

Now it's easy to list them on paper, with the injury history etc, but there's no reason to assume that they are going to be ****** forever, and when that day comes, and they are all fit, he could be in a bit of trouble.........

Pattinson is just about the first picked, Siddle is now 4th in the ICC test rankings, Starc has plenty of promise, and Cummins has the most potential of all of them combined, there's not to many 18 year olds bowling genuine express 150km/h with bounce.

I don't agree with this.

Neither do I, if he stays on the park Pattinson will be number 1

Yep, that's what I think. He'll be our Dale Steyn, good aggressive outswing bowler with 150km heights.

I fear Cummins will turn into a Morkel, capable of bowling unplayable spells but will be prone to waywardness. Before he got injured again this time around he was spraying the ball all over the place (albeit in T20s).

Apr 23, 2007
around about
AFL Club
Sydney
I think after Starcs spell in Hobart he's probabl edged ahead of Hilf, however reverse swing came into the equation is a erious way, on a pitch thats not abrasive, like England (depending on how they want it) he has to show he can control the swinging ball and seem on softer wickets consistently, he's not made it yet.

But for now the top 5 picked in order looks like

Siddle
Patto
Starc
Cummins
Hilf

No dout on fitness they'll all get a bit of a go.

Correct weight. Hilfy will play in England every time though, shame for him we only go there every 4 years.

I don't agree; being in England won't see Hilfy get picked ahead of better bowlers (assuming form and fitness).

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't agree; being in England won't see Hilfy get picked ahead of better bowlers (assuming form and fitness).

Believe it or not, Terry Alderman getting all of those wickets in 1989 will help ensure his selection. And they pulled him from nowhere on the last tour over there as well and I think he got the most wickets for us (?)

Believe it or not, Terry Alderman getting all of those wickets in 1989 will help ensure his selection. And they pulled him from nowhere on the last tour over there as well and I think he got the most wickets for us (?)

Do we need Hilfenhaus bowling outswingers if we have a fit Pattinson? I don't think so.

I can see Siddle, Pattinson, Starc, Watson being the preferred attack by the time the Ashes comes around. Think they may favour Starc because he can swing it the opposite way to Patto/Hilfy and provides variety/Lyon with footmarks.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Do we need Hilfenhaus bowling outswingers if we have a fit Pattinson? I don't think so.

I can see Siddle, Pattinson, Starc, Watson being the preferred attack by the time the Ashes comes around. Think they may favour Starc because he can swing it the opposite way to Patto/Hilfy and provides variety/Lyon with footmarks.

No we don't but how sure will the selectors be that Patto will last the tour? Not 100% that's for sure. He's probably not in the best 3 quicks Hilfy but they'll take him for insurance you can count on it, they're not going to take Johnson again.

Siddle/Patto/Starc is possibly fair enough (assuming Cummins is still no good) and they'll have Hilfy in case of injury, though he still could push Starc out I think. I'm still not completely convinced by Starc, he bowled well in Hobart but only really cleaned up the tail, he can bowl a heap of s**t at times. I can't see Alistair Cook, Trott and the rest of them being too concerned about him really.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
*bump*
first hilfy post for 2013
bad news
no duke for hilfy
is this the end???
Not necessarily, but probably.
He needs to have his action right by the start of the summer, it was still wrong and he was still bowling a little too short towards the end of the Shield. Good enough to take Shield wickets but not Test ones. Get that right, and if a few injuries happen again he might be in the frame.

Back