News Ben Jacobs walks out

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you hate him, or love him as a player that should not impact your thoughts on this.

If a player wants out after less than two years, it is a serious worry to what is happening to our club. I for one rate Jacobs, but even if I heard this from someone in their second year I did not rate as much, I would be concerned.

On that score I was surprised Butcher and Trengove signed on last year. As far as Jacobs goes in relation to that, wasn't it known he was stated as reluctant to leave Victoria in the first place?

If you hate him, or love him as a player that should not impact your thoughts on this.

If a player wants out after less than two years, it is a serious worry to what is happening to our club. I for one rate Jacobs, but even if I heard this from someone in their second year I did not rate as much, I would be concerned.
We are already concerned. This rumour being true would provide more solid evidence for concern, but doesn't actually change how ****ed we are.

Hmmm.... Jacobs not happy with his development under Primus? A massive call for a second year player if so and a massive blow to the club, not from losing the player but from the wider implication that we suck balls at developing talent. Maybe I'm drawing too long a bow...
I'm not happy with Ben Jacobs' development either. The difference is I believe it's more a lack of ability and football intelligence rather than poor development

I'm with TSW tbh.

I think he can be a solid role player rotating through the middle and half forward.

Apparently takes his footy pretty seriously which is important.

I think he'll get there

I agree. I think he could become a solid role player too. But he was a first round pick and solid role players aren't what you're looking to take with first round draft picks. If Jacobs had been taken in the 30's or 40's i think people would be more patient with him.

Or we could look at it another way. Maybe losing Jacobs due to his concerns over our ability to develop players would be a catalyst for them to actually ******* do something about it. I'd happily sacrifice Jacobs if it led to that. Would be a huge net gain for the club.

Disappointing if true, he's been gradually improving and has talent, courage and can find the ball.

Got some things to work on but things will start clicking for him, especially with a full preseason. He is strongly driven and will work for it, hopefully with us.

Wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to leave the way some of our finer supporters talk about him. Will be a star no matter who he plays for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes.

The Ben "Port Adelaide thinks he is a defender" Jacobs

So he's not happy that he's been played in defence? If that's true it's disappointing. A second year player dictating terms like that is not on. Let the supporters complain about it not the player. Nick Salter is not a defender's a-hole but he's taking it like a man - and if he hadn't spent so much time injured he may have been playing a role similar to Paul Stewart this year. If Jacobs leaves because he doesn't like his positioning, he's setting a dangerous precedent.

Hmmm.... Jacobs not happy with his development under Primus? A massive call for a second year player if so and a massive blow to the club, not from losing the player but from the wider implication that we suck balls at developing talent. Maybe I'm drawing too long a bow...
Yes, yes you are.
When did Jacobs say that? Why make up bullshit, just to add more s**t on the club?
End rant/

So he's not happy that he's been played in defence? If that's true it's disappointing. A second year player dictating terms like that is not on. Let the supporters complain about it not the player. Nick Salter is not a defender's a-hole but he's taking it like a man - and if he hadn't spent so much time injured he may have been playing a role similar to Paul Stewart this year. If Jacobs leaves because he doesn't like his positioning, he's setting a dangerous precedent.
Never said this was Ben's opinion what so ever.

Jacobs would not be dictating where he would be played but I think the coaching staff put a lot of undue pressure on him last year. Most his junior footy as discussed was played in midfield or across half back, I think we allowed him too often to be on the last line of defence in very foreign territory and taking kick in duties very early on was a lot of pressure and his confidence was shot last year as a result. I have seen enough this year to know despite some of the errors and mistakes there is a decent footy player there.

If he leaves It would be because he just does not want to be at Port.

I think the key in Forza's post is the "So he's not happy that he's been played in defence? If that's true it's disappointing" part.

Want to leave? Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Anyone - player or fan - who abandons the club at this time should feel too ashamed to come back when times turn good again. We will only have about 14k at the Freo game. Those who CHOOSE not to bother are worse than the players.

Jacobs would not be dictating where he would be played but I think the coaching staff put a lot of undue pressure on him last year. Most his junior footy as discussed was played in midfield or across half back, I think we allowed him too often to be on the last line of defence in very foreign territory and taking kick in duties very early on was a lot of pressure and his confidence was shot last year as a result. I have seen enough this year to know despite some of the errors and mistakes there is a decent footy player there.

If he leaves It would be because he just does not want to be at Port.

On the other hand some players would thrive on the responsibility of kicking out and feel empowered. While Jacobs struggled at times in defence it is all part of the learning curve and you can't say he hasn't been given a decent crack at senior level. While some posters blame Primus for his development, in a parallel universe Jacobs could have really relished the role and learnt some great defensive tools, while developing in the first 18. Hell, it worked for Dane Swan.

Having said all that he's been serviceable and steadily improving, some of his link up play in the midfield has been great. Strange the way he is treated on this board, if this is reflective of public perception of him then good luck to him if he leaves, I wouldn't want to play for a club's fans who don't embrace me either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back